sick of disputes

Oh yeah, the good old days. Cable bill under 10$ a month, all the channels I needed, no boxes required. What the hell happened ? You're TV bill now costs more than some of you're utility bills.

I remember when I moved to my current mobile home park to live in 1995 I had Tele-Media cable and it costed $45.00 and I only got like 20 channels including locals. I quickly went with Primestar satellite and in early 97 I got DISH for the first time. I got like 40 channels for $19.99. Also got east/west coast national networks and super stations for I think was $8.00. But that was then and now the low priced satellite bill rivals anything that cable has and no triple threat with video/phone/internet. But at least the FLEX pack and add on packs finally put me back in control of my bill. My bill is now back under a $100.00 a month and that is without taking more credits off to get it that low. But I hope that full on ala cart is just around the corner. Then you really can pay only for what you want and keep the prices low.

Oh, and didn't the MVPD decide to enter a business market that requires retransmission negotiations? How can you say "OTA chose that business model and has to live with it" without saying the same for MVPDs?

Most of them entered under a very different set of laws and regulations.

Back when you could get distant nets easily if you were in a marginal signal area (or just claimed to be).
I had PT24, east and west for several years, on C-band and Dish. Antenna reception was marginal on half the locals unless you bought a large antenna and put it on a 20ft mast.

Local into Local was a pipe dream. Locals weren't interested and the satellites didn't have the capacity for many markets. It was only the advent of spot beams that made it viable. Just go back and look at the introductions of different markets and the hardware that went with it (new dishes and new satellites)

Government needs to step in and set a price that's realistically fair and that's what everyone is paying period.

You want them to regulate what you pay for raw beef? With that comes regulation as to what you can charge to sell the cooked meal too.

If you don't take all of the profit as personal income, what do you do with the rest of the $300k/yr you net in profit?

Think Dish doesn't do similar just because there are more zeros on the right?

Soda isn't a money maker by any means.
People pay $2 for what could be 4 or 5 refills.

And it cost you what, $0.10-0.20 a glass at the fountain?
Tea/coffee is pennies a glass/cup (which is why places have offered free refills on them far longer).

When you put it that way sure.
But what do you think I make off of a customer at the restaurant off a $20 steak?
Try $3-5 depending on market price for beef at the time.

So, regular customers that buy 1 per week, and you're making what Dish does from them.

$20 steaks? Is that even a Select cut? I can't see it being Prime.
So, $20 for a steak I can get for $5-6 at the grocery store. Since you have higher volume, you probably only pay $3-4 each.

*Note, I've looked at the cost for me, an individual to get Prime cuts, and dry aged, etc.
Needless to say, I buy Select at the grocery store. I go out occasionally for Prime, but it's not a $20 steak.

You want them to regulate what you pay for raw beef? With that comes regulation as to what you can charge to sell the cooked meal too.

If you don't take all of the profit as personal income, what do you do with the rest of the $300k/yr you net in profit?

Think Dish doesn't do similar just because there are more zeros on the right?

And it cost you what, $0.10-0.20 a glass at the fountain?
Tea/coffee is pennies a glass/cup (which is why places have offered free refills on them far longer).

So, regular customers that buy 1 per week, and you're making what Dish does from them.

$20 steaks? Is that even a Select cut? I can't see it being Prime.
So, $20 for a steak I can get for $5-6 at the grocery store. Since you have higher volume, you probably only pay $3-4 each.

*Note, I've looked at the cost for me, an individual to get Prime cuts, and dry aged, etc.
Needless to say, I buy Select at the grocery store. I go out occasionally for Prime, but it's not a $20 steak.
I don't know what Grocery store you go to, but a $5 or 6 steak is about as thick as a layer of cardboard that your Hopper came in.
I pay about $10 for for a 12 Oz prime rib, and charge $20.
My cook also gets paid for preparing that.

And incase you didn't notice , The government does regulate all meat.

And Soda, 10-20 cents for 20 Oz?
I WISH.
It's more like 40-50 cents.
They drink 4 of those, and I broke even.
This isn't China Buffet, with 8 or 12 OZ cups that they mostly pump out water and gas just to fill your gut.

Instead of patrolling the Dish site, maybe you could actually read some of the posts.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I don't know what Grocery store you go to, but a $5 or 6 steak is about as thick as a layer of cardboard that your Hopper came in.
I pay about $10 for for a 12 Oz prime rib, and charge $20.
My cook also gets paid for preparing that.

I know he gets paid.

Wish I could get any prime cut for that price ($13/lb).
I'm seeing $25/lb for prime rib.

But I can get select (borderline choice) ribeye and strip for $8/lb, so $5 for a 10oz, and cut 3/4" thick. No cardboard unless you overcook it.

And incase you didn't notice , The government does regulate all meat.
They don't regulate the price though.

Which was my point. You were calling for the government to set the price.

And Soda, 10-20 cents for 20 Oz?
I WISH.
It's more like 40-50 cents.

Every thing I find is 10-20 cents for a 20 oz cup w/ ice (so only 8-9 oz of actual soda)

I can't find a good price for cost of syrup through the same routes you'd get it. I know the sources I find are way higher (sort of grey market).

I know he gets paid.

Wish I could get any prime cut for that price ($13/lb).
I'm seeing $25/lb for prime rib.

But I can get select (borderline choice) ribeye and strip for $8/lb, so $5 for a 10oz, and cut 3/4" thick. No cardboard unless you overcook it.

They don't regulate the price though.

Which was my point. You were calling for the government to set the price.

Every thing I find is 10-20 cents for a 20 oz cup w/ ice (so only 8-9 oz of actual soda)

I can't find a good price for cost of syrup through the same routes you'd get it. I know the sources I find are way higher (sort of grey market).
Here is the wholesale average price for beef.

http://www.beefretail.org/wholesalepriceupdate.aspx

We also buy our meat from a local farmer.
The cuts you are looking at is retail prices probably online Omaha steaks.
If you want to pay $23 for a 14 oz uncooked t bone go ahead.
That's packaged a processed from their huge industrial farm. Lol

I'd have to charge $50 just for the steak.

Now obviously this chart is an average wholesale price, I pay more then this because I'm close to Allentown PA Just like the guy in NY city may pay more yet.

But yes if the government said everyone pays this price, it would be much easier to stay competitive when the TGI Fridays chain probably pays less than me and probably makes double what I can.

Same with Dish local channels.
Why should certain companies get better deals than others for the exact same content?
Why should lower rated channels get paid the same as higher rated ones?
You want more money, you need to step up your game.
But at least play a fair game.

And another thing, every part of my business is publicized, whole sale food prices ,taxes, beer prices, my employees pay.

So maybe these publicly traded company's need to start showing what they are actually paying these networks.
Funny how you can't trace that back.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Last edited:
The cuts you are looking at is retail prices probably online Omaha steaks.

Not Omaha. Never. They suck. No dry aged beef either. Not grass fed. Too much money spent on marketing.
(Lobels, KC Steaks, Chicago Steak, Stock Yards, Halperns, etc. Lots of better alternatives)

If I was in a different area, with a decent butcher shop, I could get that locally instead of the inflated online process.

It's not like I'm talking about $130+/lb imported Wagyu.
http://www.costco.com/Japanese-Wagyu-Ribeye-A-5-Grade.product.100082950.html

But yes, if I go out for steak, it's a $50+ steak because I want what I can't readily get at home (Prime meat and/or dry aged).
I just don't go to the places that server grocery store quality meat (most of them)

But, if I'm every in your area, I'd love to try your place ;)

And another thing, every part of my business is publicized, whole sale food prices ,taxes, beer prices, my employees pay.

So maybe these publicly traded company's need to start showing what they are actually paying these networks.
Funny how you can't trace that back.

I'd love for the licensing/retransmission agreements to be public.
I think it'd go a long way to holding down costs.

Same in medicine. Try to get the cost of anything out of a doctor, hospital, or insurance company.
It's impossible to compare/shop around. Meanwhile, you can easily get process for dental services, lost of elective surgery, and vision services.

Guess what's getting cheaper and what's not.

Reactions: Troch77
Free Broadcast Channels should be just that, free. When they gave out the airwave monopolies in the 40s and 50s, that was the deal. They can sell advertising for their programs all they want, but they can't charge the public for the programming. That's how it was until the Clinton Administration got into the act. The NAB lobbyists paid off Congress and they made it legal for the broadcast networks to charge the public up the ying yang.

Free Broadcast Channels should be just that, free. When they gave out the airwave monopolies in the 40s and 50s, that was the deal. They can sell advertising for their programs all they want, but they can't charge the public for the programming. That's how it was until the Clinton Administration got into the act. The NAB lobbyists paid off Congress and they made it legal for the broadcast networks to charge the public up the ying yang.
The Cable Televison Consumer Protection Act of 1992, containing the provision for retransmission consent and compensation, was passed during the H.W. Bush administration.

They are still free (for MOST, not all of the viewers). MOST people can put up an antenna and pick up more locals than the MVPDs are providing.

channels should just be happy they get carried. if my locals were not carried, i wouldnt watch them, just like before they were not carried
Couldn't you say that about ESPN, Fox News, MSNBC, History, etc. ALL of which receive advertiser money AND retrans money and MUST rely on MVPDs to get viewer #1.

As far as your second statement, good for you.

Last edited:
The Cable Televison Consumer Protection Act of 1992, containing the provision for retransmission consent and compensation, was passed during the H.W. Bush administration.
But, but, that's not a part of his agenda!

Reactions: KAB
channels should just be happy they get carried. if my locals were not carried, i wouldnt watch them, just like before they were not carried

I believe you but that's not true for the vast majority of people as ratings in prime time show.

Reactions: sam_gordon

President Bush vetoed the legislation but he was overridden by Congress, mainly Democrats and quite a few Republicans, who had been paid off by the National Association of Broadcasters. We are paying the price for that today.

Again, Bush vetoed the legislation.

Reactions: STDog
President Bush vetoed the legislation but he was overridden by Congress, mainly Democrats and quite a few Republicans, who had been paid off by the National Association of Broadcasters. We are paying the price for that today.

Again, Bush vetoed the legislation.
Regardless, you are wrong to pin blame on Clinton. He was still a governor.

I'd love for the licensing/retransmission agreements to be public.
I think it'd go a long way to holding down costs.

Same in medicine. Try to get the cost of anything out of a doctor, hospital, or insurance company.
It's impossible to compare/shop around. Meanwhile, you can easily get process prices for dental services, lost lots of elective surgery, and vision services.

Guess what's getting cheaper and what's not.

Yeah for auto correct... And forums where you can't edit posts for very long.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)