sick of disputes

There is always going to be that level of thinking that even though it might be cheaper, but you'll never know if your favorite network is safe.

I want to say that NO network/channel is SAFE on any provider, but I know that's not 100% true.
There are a few networks that would be a death nail if they were lost.
But locals and secondary networks like WGN America aren't those.

The cost of having the latest tech. ;)

I lived on the cutting edge for a while, even the bleeding edge a bit.
Definitely lost it's allure.

I had a non-fee DVR (501) too. Till it wasn't. That why I changed to my current setup (ViP211/k).
At some point I expect Dish will decide I should be paying more for the DVR just like they did with the 50x/510.

But it hasn't been an annual increase in fees. Not even the Hopper has. It was what, 2 increases to get there?

But tell me, what do other providers charger for a "whole home" HD DVR?

You don't have to pay the hopper fees. You choose to for the convenience the Hopper provides.
Okay if I had 4 VIP 612, and two 211z that's $51 in fees No?
In 08 that would have been $30 since you could have Top 250 DVR advantage pack.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I want to say that NO network/channel is SAFE on any provider, but I know that's not 100% true.
There are a few networks that would be a death nail if they were lost.
But locals and secondary networks like WGN America aren't those.
Well, you are a fan, and again not the normal customer.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Okay if I had 4 VIP 612, and two 211z that's $51 in fees No?
In 08 that would have been $30 since you could have Top 250 DVR advantage pack.

Maybe. I really couldn't detail all the fees from that far back.

But compared to some of my other costs, TV/sat costs have not increases nearly as much.
So in the grand scheme I see Dish doing a good job controlling the costs.

Well, you are a fan, and again not the normal customer.

A fan? Of what?

I'm a realist and realize that all the have the same issues to deal with.

All have lost channels, some for short periods, some longer, some permanently.

There are some channels that any company will pay for no matter what because they can't survive without them.
I don't know what they might be today. In the past CNN and the Weather Channel would have been examples.
But a lot has changed in the last few years.

As for hopper fees, we started at $7.00 and then it went up to $10.00, then $12.00 and now $15.00 for the Dvr fee. I think thats more than doubling the Dvr fee in 4 years is a little hard to justify. I've said it before and I'll say it again, fighting for lower prices for programming is only half the battle. It looks a little hypocritical on DISH's part to bitch about the cost that they pay for programming when they are hiking their hopper Dvr fees that much in four years. Customers decide to go with and stay with a company not only on pricing , but on the cost of the associated fees too.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Maybe. I really couldn't detail all the fees from that far back.

But compared to some of my other costs, TV/sat costs have not increases nearly as much.
So in the grand scheme I see Dish doing a good job controlling the costs.
Dish fees are no more in control then the next guy.

But you can believe what you want.

It's obvious people are starting to see things they don't like, more so then things they do like with Dish.

That's what I see.
As far as fees , I've already witnessed a $10 increase in 12 months with dish.
That right on par with the next guy.

Am I saying Dish isn't cheaper, no, but in MY AREA you are sacrificing some channels and some PQ to get that cheaper rate, while sitting blacked out because of multiple disputes.

IMO that puts you in the exact same ball park as the guys that have the Missing Channels and Better PQ at 3 -10% increase over dish.

So again I fail to see much gain over the next guy at the long lengthy disputes.

Now as others have mentioned the Flex pack probably required more time in negotiations.
But you can't have a reputation for years of dropping channels, and expect the Flex pack to rake in customers.
Sling TV isn't raking in customers by any means.

Neither did Dish America, Welcome, or Smart Packs.
Sure you have a few extra A la carte this time, But after a while your better off with Top200.
You get far more for your money.

I mean your already at $45 with just Flex and locals.
Good deal?, IMO no better than the last 6 years of entry level packages under $45.

Again, package offerings with Dish, has always been ahead of the competition, so why bother with something that IMO isn't flawed?

Packages isn't why Dish is losing customers.
Poor marketing on the Hoppers all of them, including the H3,
Endless History of Channel security issues.

We should be sitting and watching TV, and every hour we should see a commercial showing the H3 with its 16 tuners, up against Directv and the X1.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Last edited:
Reactions: reddice
So you think the retransmission fees are their only cost?
Don't think stuff like utilities are increasing for them?
Wages, employee benefits, facilities construction and maintenance are all increasing.

And they give in to small increases all the time, which do add up.

These disputes are over large increases.
sorry, we dont care....i will be looking into TWC

James Long has a historical pricing chart for Dish at the link below. With all the blackouts and disputes I would expect those lines to be much flatter than they are.

http://jameslong.name/pricing.html

Since 2010, most Dish packages have increased by $5/year. I know that many of those years DirecTV packages only increased by $2-3/year. That doesn't sound like the many disputes are helping out the customer.

Some will say that the new Flex packages will save money so Dish is still cheaper, but in reality your simply paying less for less. If that works for you then great, but with a true comparison (apples to apples) there is little, if any, savings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

James Long has a historical pricing chart for Dish at the link below. With all the blackouts and disputes I would expect those lines to be much flatter than they are.

http://jameslong.name/pricing.html

Since 2010, most Dish packages have increased by $5/year. I know that many of those years DirecTV packages only increased by $2-3/year. That doesn't sound like the many disputes are helping out the customer.

Some will say that the new Flex packages will save money so Dish is still cheaper, but in reality your simply paying less for less. If that works for you then great, but with a true comparison (apples to apples) there is little, if any, savings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's $20 in 5 years with the Top 250 pack alone.
$4 a year.
Seems like the normal average to me.

Directv Ultimate was $70.99 in 2011
$91.99 in 2016
$21 increase in 5 years.
So $4.20 a year increase.

Now sure there are other fees with both.
Directv has RSN fee, But also comes with 5 channels that Dish doesn't even offer. So thats on Par.

Equipment well, If you want a DVR with Directv even 1 room cost you minimum $22.50 (if the room fee is $7.50)
So Directv but again, that's just greed IMO since equipment fees have nothing to do with the programmers.

But the same could be said about Dish, why are the package prices so minimal in difference?

That's simple, because they could be cheaper, but Charlie would rather take that great negotiated price, and reap the benefits toward his profit, and not towards his customers.

That's why his profit keeps growing and his company keeps getting smaller.
Just like his packages keep getting smaller, and IMO add up to more money the more you add.
Next he'll be dropping the AT packs
And what you once got for $90 will cost you $100.

But think about the Flex pack for a second, Top 200 is only $80.

You add 2 of those add-on packs, and your already at $65 with locals.
Now that's great, but now your paying far more per channel that you are for $80 spent on top 200.

All I see in Huge profit for Chuck, and less channels for you.
I mean look, Dish hasn't even officially launched the package yet, and they are already adding channels not available in any other packages.

Thats a good way to get customers into the Flex pack, and get them to spend more money on the add-ons.
IMO a great sneaky way to get a price increase.

That's my opinion

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Last edited:
Reactions: bobvick and anex80
DISH really needs to stop the looped video presentation of the Tribune Broadcasting dispute. I believe we already get their point of view, it's like beating a dead horse.
They did in the NY market.
My Hoppers don't even see WPIX 11 anymore.

But in the Philadelphia market, WPHL 17 still shows the loop.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

That's $20 in 5 years with the Top 250 pack alone.
$4 a year.
Seems like the normal average to me.

Directv Ultimate was $70.99 in 2011
$91.99 in 2016
$21 increase in 5 years.
So $4.20 a year increase.

Now sure there are other fees with both.
Directv has RSN fee, But also comes with 5 channels that Dish doesn't even offer. So thats on Par.

Equipment well, If you want a DVR with Directv even 1 room cost you minimum $22.50 (if the room fee is $7.50)
So Directv but again, that's just greed IMO since equipment fees have nothing to do with the programmers.

But the same could be said about Dish, why are the package prices so minimal in difference?

That's simple, because they could be cheaper, but Charlie would rather take that great negotiated price, and reap the benefits toward his profit, and not towards his customers.

That's why his profit keeps growing and his company keeps getting smaller.
Just like his packages keep getting smaller, and IMO add up to more money the more you add.
Next he'll be dropping the AT packs
And what you once got for $90 will cost you $100.

But think about the Flex pack for a second, Top 200 is only $80.

You add 2 of those add-on packs, and your already at $65 with locals.
Now that's great, but now your paying far more per channel that you are for $80 spent on top 200.

All I see in Huge profit for Chuck, and less channels for you.
I mean look, Dish hasn't even officially launched the package yet, and they are already adding channels not available in any other packages.

Thats a good way to get customers into the Flex pack, and get them to spend more money on the add-ons.
IMO a great sneaky way to get a price increase.

That's my opinion

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

In that time Directv added at least in my market a $5 RSN fee, a first receiver fee that is now part of a mandatory $15 fee. You keep ignoring, because it makes your case seem plausible the fact that each has their own business and marketing plan and you can't separate fees from package prices. Directv could not raise their package prices to be much more than DISH because that's the first thing people look at, so their package prices may not reflect the cost to Directv. Instead they added fees, and arranged them so that those with modest equipment pay more, while with DISH those people can pay much less.
Yes it is closer costs if you have the Hopper and several rooms to Directv. That is a choice that was made to have the latest greatest equipment that like most businesses will cost you more than the previous models. That may be because they need to pay for the R&D, it also is because people are willing to pay more for the technology. But it lets those who are trying to save money do so by not getting it something that can't be done with Directv.
Comparing premiums has become harder because each has their own way of doing it. Directv the last I looked has more channels in the premiums generally, but I pay $5 less for HBO and would pay less for Cinemax if I had it. No doubt Directv has something that favors them.

For the extra cost with Directv there are less blackouts, a few more RSNs and more sports in general though that has narrowed, and of course the option to get Sunday Ticket. The argument can be made the extra cost does get you something.

Until the dust settles and we have official information from DISH there is not much to debate about your Flex comments except if you are adding alot of packs then they Flex package isn't for you. How long and how often have many of us said A La Carte is more expensive for the same programming? But again, DISH is giving the choice if you don't want much more than most of the main Cable channels, little sports, no RSNs, no Siriusxm etc you can pay alot less. The fact that "per channel" you may be paying more is the nature of it. It's ironic to me you are now taking DISH to task for offering a package that has most of the channels people want for much less than previously available. In many cases with little or no sacrifice once again DISH has a much less expensive way to get service.
It is way too early to know about how channels will be added going forward though it is clear to me and I posted so before the Flex pack was known about that it looked like DISH was getting ready to make changes.

I dropped to the Top 200 because the Top 250 no longer has channels we really ever watch that the 200 does not. And we are considering the Flex package now. With the option to add or drop the add ons I would save money and still get very close to the channels we want. Not exactly and there would be some sacrifice such as no SiriusXm but at least I now have the choice to pay even less.

Last edited:
In that time Directv added at least in my market a $5 RSN fee, a first receiver fee that is now part of a mandatory $15 fee. You keep ignoring, because it makes your case seem plausible the fact that each has their own business and marketing plan and you can't separate fees from package prices. Directv could not raise their package prices to be much more than DISH because that's the first thing people look at, so their package prices may not reflect the cost to Directv. Instead they added fees, and arranged them so that those with modest equipment pay more, while with DISH those people can pay much less.
Yes it is closer costs if you have the Hopper and several rooms to Directv. That is a choice that was made to have the latest greatest equipment that like most businesses will cost you more than the previous models. That may be because they need to pay for the R&D, it also is because people are willing to pay more for the technology. But it lets those who are trying to save money do so by not getting it something that can't be done with Directv.

Until the dust settles and we have official information from DISH there is not much to debate about your Flex comments except if you are adding alot of packs then they Flex package isn't for you. It is way too early to know about how channels will be added.

Where did I ignore the $15 fee?
Clearly I have it in the post you quoted.
What you keep ignoring that both companies Dish and Directv don't promote 722k and HR2*s to new customers.

They promote Hoppers and Genies if you want DVR service.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

The site went down as I was typing and it posted that without me finishing! Lol...
Now I see it is there..
To reply, when the non Genie DVR's were on the Directv site a few weeks ago the cost was the same - as having a Genie that's why I used the term mandatory.

Btw the other site has posts where they analyzed the information from the quarterly report. The profit increase is much more than the cost increase to customers so it came from other things besides raising prices.
DISH did have a large Churn rate I would say very large, it would have been worse but they did add 530,000 new customers.

Last edited:
Reactions: STDog
Everyone has to do what's best for them. Fees are increasing across the board, and that bubble that we were predicting to burst, for the last decade, is just about there now. HBO figured it out with HBO Now, the networks figured it out with other streaming platforms. Only the leagues of various sports seem to not get the picture. Especially the NFL.

Disputes again with my locals, i am sick of it. if there is any disruption....i will... after 15+ years i am finished. its not worth it anymore, especially with the increase in dish prices. OTA and a streaming box is all i need.

Why do you think Dish is raising prices of locals from $5 to $10 per month. Because of the a$$hole locals that are greedy. Heck, I am down to the Welcome pack now, yet I am paying $73 a month for Cox internet. What am I saving by streaming. Social Security pay increases is based on the COL Index, Yet the cable companies and Sats raise the prices every year. Cox just send out a bill with a $5 increase each year and never notifies the customer. That is 8 percent in a year, yet SS got zip.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts