Signal interference, microwave oven

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ERvet

Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
Colorado
Brand new here, but have had Direct TV for just over a year. Finally figured out the problem with some intermittent signal interference (and hence recording quality of DVR) was due to interference when the microwave oven was on. So, how do you fix that? Microwave is a built-in, so moving it isn't an option. Moving the TV and receiver also not viable. TV, DVD player, and receiver are all plugged into a surge protector, and today we even switched out the receivers (there are two in the house) to make sure it wasn't a problem with the box itself. (The other receiver lives in a room on the second floor of the house, doesn't have problems). The problem occurs with the other box when used in place of the first one. So, any ideas? Surely I am not the only one with this problem!! Called DirectTV, and they were really no help. "Not a problem with the service, must be your house."

Thanks for any suggestions that don't involve rewiring something.....or knocking out a wall. Or building a lead shield.

Susan/ERvet

LOL, do not run the microwave when recording...

For starters, I'd run an extension cord from a completely different part of the house, on a different circuit to see if it is a power issue. Confirm it is a different circuit via the breaker panel. If it is a power problem, you could try a UPS (uninterpretable power supply) to see if that resolves it or simply have the breaker moved in the panel if it is a different circuit (so the draw is from the other hot on the main feed).

If it is not a power issue, then it is quite possible the oven is leaking, not good for your health and should be serviced or replaced.

LOL, do not run the microwave when recording...

For starters, I'd run an extension cord from a completely different part of the house, on a different circuit to see if it is a power issue. Confirm it is a different circuit via the breaker panel. If it is a power problem, you could try a UPS (uninterpretable power supply) to see if that resolves it or simply have the breaker moved in the panel if it is a different circuit (so the draw is from the other hot on the main feed).

If it is not a power issue, then it is quite possible the oven is leaking, not good for your health and should be serviced or replaced.
ditto on the first part, never heard about a leaking microwave though
/me googles

Its happened to a few Service calls I have been on where it was bad wiring on the houses ground inside the breaker box. Basically inexperienced Electricians creating a loop. When the Microwave/treadmill/space heater.. basically anything high voltage would generate RF noise that would penetrate the RG6.

You should have an electrician test your home. Also you can test the RG6 line, it should be around 70ohms. if your getting electrical RF interference the Ohm level will be in the upper 80's

I too have seen this. As others have suggested, try using a different circuit for your DVR, ie, not simply one on a different breaker, but one which is on the opposite 120v buss. If you have a volt meter handy, connect the volt meter to an outlet you'd like to test to see which buss it is on. Now turn on the microwave and watch the voltmeter. If the voltage displayed on the meter goes down or drops when the microwave is running, then the plug you're testing is on the same buss as the MW. If your meter is connected to the opposite buss there should be no (or very little) variation with the MW on or off. If the voltage displayed on the meter increases slightly (more than .5 volt) with the MW on, then call your power company and ask them to check the "neutral".

Check your grounds at the meter/service entrance point.

If still a problem, you can try an RF power line filter like this one:
NQN AC Filters

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)