Signal Meter Recommendations

Status
Please reply by conversation.
@ Tou-can... IMO, its just a pain in the rear to set-up a monitor/receiver outside. Much prefer the convenience of a meter.

Cheers, K

Does the MicroHD display ber (bit error rate) ? this can be extremely helpful for tweaking a dish

I tweak on a strong tp to get it close, then purposely pick a really weak tp or one with a hard fec and tweak with ber.

spectrum analyzers are super helpful for this, many USB/PCIe tuners support this now. I use mine using X11 over ssh or NoMachine over ssh so I can run the app on my desktop but see it on my laptop outside.

UDL

I tweak on a strong tp to get it close, then purposely pick a really weak tp or one with a hard fec and tweak with ber.

spectrum analyzers are super helpful for this, many USB/PCIe tuners support this now. I use mine using X11 over ssh or NoMachine over ssh so I can run the app on my desktop but see it on my laptop outside.
A bit error rate display should pry me out of my stupor and get me headed towards your solution. I'm interested, intrigued. For right now, in the absence of this, and as one example, by pushing the dish left and right to the edge where error correction can no longer cope, is the center point between those two extremes an approximation of where the sweet spot will be seen by your ber set-up ?

For meter buffs, at what price point do you get the functionality UDL describes ?

Meter still seems redundant if you're able to bring the box and a monitor. What does the meter do that's different ?
With receiver and TV: Plug in long power cord. Drag end out to dish farm. Drag out card table to dish site. Set up table. Carry TV to card table. Carry receiver to dish site. Plug in receiver and TV to power cord. Connect LNB to receiver. Connect receiver to TV after you have brought those cords(coax) out to dish site. Turn on receiver and TV. Set both to what you are looking for. Start "wiggling" dish. Found signal. Lock in dish. Now remove everything and drag it all back to the house.
With meter: Carry short coax and meter out to dish site. Connect meter to dish. Turn on meter. "wiggle" dish for signal. Found! Lock dish and remove coax. Walk back to house with meter and short coax.
That is what a meter does that is different.(or a heck of a lot less work)
RT

With receiver and TV: Plug in long power cord. Drag end out to dish farm. Drag out card table to dish site. Set up table. Carry TV to card table. Carry receiver to dish site. Plug in receiver and TV to power cord. Connect LNB to receiver. Connect receiver to TV after you have brought those cords(coax) out to dish site. Turn on receiver and TV. Set both to what you are looking for. Start "wiggling" dish. Found signal. Lock in dish. Now remove everything and drag it all back to the house.
With meter: Carry short coax and meter out to dish site. Connect meter to dish. Turn on meter. "wiggle" dish for signal. Found! Lock dish and remove coax. Walk back to house with meter and short coax.
That is what a meter does that is different.(or a heck of a lot less work)
RT

Especially if it's freezing cold out!

I acknowledged the convenience factor many posts ago. I don't tweak dishes in the freezing cold and rarely at all because these systems are extremely reliable.

A signal meter has more sensitivity than what a satellite receiver does. This helps in tuning the satellite dish due to the fact that you will know when you are close vs. having to be almost dead on for it to show a signal on the satellite receiver.

I have wanted to use a spectrum analyzer for a while now but know that they are expensive. I have seen some meters for around $400 that offer the spectrum analyzer and I think it shows the video as well but am not sure if they are good meters.

A usb receiver that one can connect to a laptop that has spectrum analyzer capability would be awesome. I wonder if there is such a device that one can connect to a tablet as well which would be smaller/easier to handle. Perhaps a netbook could be used if you cant somehow connect one to a tablet. Wireless from the receiver to the tablet would be handy as well, perhaps something like a sling.

What brand of usb receiver do you use that has the spectrum analyzer?

Post# 25 rt-cat...You forgot the piece of cardboard to place over the tv screen to keep the blare of the sun from the view...LOL..

I guess it all depends on how well one really wants his or her dish`s lined up wether a meter is justified.I have done this both ways with the farm here and actually retro fitted a cart with a small 13" tv along with a coolsat receiver with a 100' drop cord on its side.The cart was made from an old generator frame and was pretty nice and convenient but still not as good for lining up a dish as a meter.Used diff receivers with this rig also!

The Sat Hero-200 is what I use now and it gives the BER,db reading..no comparison when it comes to dragging a tv,receiver in the yard!

It really helps also when I take notes of my dish`s performance and if some tweaking is needed if performance seems to be dropping..Can easily go out there with the meter and look back at notes ( Troubleshooting ) to see if there is a failing lnb...Seen that before.

You will be quite disappointed with the spectrum analyzers in these inexpensive units. The scan / refresh time is extremely slow and there is no calibration or accurate scale. They show signal presence, but not very useful for optimizing the installation.

Personally, I use the Applied Instrument as well. Would recommend a used AP meter over any of these inexpensive alternatives! There is no comparison in quality and results.

I know a few people who have Superbuddy's and only use in their home and love them. I guess it all depends on how serious you are about the hobby. :) ...

...Truth be told I have had other sponsors send me their meters to review in the past and I opted not to post a review for them just because the quality and functionality was so bad. I figured it was better to say nothing at all in those cases.
But the Superbuddy line and now with the AI Turbo S2 I can proudly stand behind and say it is truly SatelliteGuys approved.
Straight from the horses' mouths...

Originally Posted by Scott Greczkowski I know a few people who have Superbuddy's and only use in their home and love them. I guess it all depends on how serious you are about the hobby. :) ...
Straight from the horses' mouths...
I get the convenience issue. A meter is less work. As for doing a better job, I'm not so convinced. We're talking about pointing a dish, not landing on the Moon. There is elegance in doing more (or at least the same) with less. Usually this is a difference between hobbyists and professionals: hobbyists have the luxury of time and the final result is not necessarily inferior. I'm sure I will appreciate a meter when/if I get one. I wonder if these 6 pages of posts answered Kraven's question?

I have been thinking about a meter but have not yet bought one for similar reasons. It seems like many of the cheaper meters are essentially satellite tuners without the video image. If they are just giving me S and Q readings, I have receivers that can do the same. I also have the mild California weather on my side too.

I checked out the AI meter and it does look very nice, but at $850 it also costs more than my entire set-up. I totally understand why some people would have such a device, even hobbyists, but it's more than I am willing to spend on a meter. I'll have to keep an eye on Ebay or CL for used models.

I have been thinking about a meter but have not yet bought one for similar reasons. It seems like many of the cheaper meters are essentially satellite tuners without the video image. If they are just giving me S and Q readings, I have receivers that can do the same. I also have the mild California weather on my side too.

I checked out the AI meter and it does look very nice, but at $850 it also costs more than my entire set-up. I totally understand why some people would have such a device, even hobbyists, but it's more than I am willing to spend on a meter. I'll have to keep an eye on Ebay or CL for used models.

You can find them on CL Ex installers that are hard up for cash will smile big when you show up with crisp $100 bills :)

No it will not work with SWM.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)