THE LAST DAY (THISTV)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

papabruski

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
mountain west
This TV was scrambled last night but not today

I noticed it about a week ago and again last night.
This morning is open again.
Anyone else see this happen?
Thanks

Receiver is MicroHD.

Scrambling channels you can get over the air in certain cities makes no sense. Keep us posted, I sure won't upgrade to a HD reciever if that is how it will be.

THISTV on SES 1@ 101W is In the clear. I have watched that channel almost every day for several years. I have never seen it encrypted? I'm using both a MicroHD and an OpenBox S9 on two seperate mesh 7.5 ft dishes, and they are both always clear.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

this TV going scrambled?

This morning I was watching thisTV on my nifty little µHD tuner and it was working great.

Then I fell asleep for a few hours and the TV shut off. When I woke up about noonish, I turned the TV back on and there was a black screen with a blue dot in the center of it and it said "Scrambled"..

I got a sick feeling in my stomach..

So to see what was happening, I changed over to MeTV and it was just fine, still ITC. I popped over to check RTV and PBJ and they were fine too. I go back to this TV and this time it's back to ITC.

Are they getting ready to drop the hammer on us? I heard they were bought by Antenna TV and that they'll very likely scramble it (not to mention change everything !)

Please tell me they aren't about to scramble!??? I can not get this TV from Lake Charles (KPLC), it's just too far. My dad can but he has a two story house with a much taller antenna and much larger antenna..
There are also no trees in his yard so that isn't hurting a thing.. If I lose this from C-band that's gonna blow, I really like their very early morning stuff and they play a lot of good sleeper movies..
I have Dish Network but there's not a lot on there to be honest, even with AT250 +extras.. I still rely heavily on FTA for the good stuff..

This TV was sold to Tribune and I suspect that it will be encrypted just as Antenna TV is.

Weigel now has a new movie network, in partnership with Fox, called "Movies!" It's on the same satellite as Me-TV and is in the clear, last I heard.

- Trip

Weigel now has a new movie network, in partnership with Fox, called "Movies!" It's on the same satellite as Me-TV and is in the clear, last I heard.

- Trip

Yup, you're correct on that Trip. But once in a while I go there and get the dreaded "S" until I switch channels and go back then it comes in ITC.

This TV was sold to Tribune and I suspect that it will be encrypted just as Antenna TV is.

- Trip

I am NOT happy about this. I really, really like that channel but the only way I can get it is via C-band.

Even if I could pick it up via OTA, they are notorious for compressing the cr*p out of the signal.
KBMT here retransmits MeTV OTA and it's horrible. The PQ is so poor that it's borderline unwatchable.
Not to mention they inject the really annoying local commercials which are like Z grade.
Local commercials make me want to claw my eyes out with white hot spoons and pour molten lead into my ears.

The only way I would ever be able to even potentially pick up KPLC would be to install a very expensive tower which there is no way I could afford.

?I like The Outer Limits, Highway Patrol, Sea Hunt, Mr. Ed, Patty Duke, Green Acres, etc.. For me, there is no other place I can watch these shows and the time frame they come on is well suited to the odd hours I keep.

Screen Shot 2013-07-27 at 5.55.16 PM.png
?
I can't understand why they have to be such a-holes about scrambling C-band channels. Like really, how many people are left in the US with functional C-band dishes? Not many I would bet.

:mad:

Well, more and more, FTA continues to be exterminated by capitalist greed.
It won't be long before it's all gone.

The only things I find of any value on FTA now is

1. PBJ (probably gone soon)
2. RTV (ditto)
3. MeTV
4. thisTV (losing this soon)
5. PBS
6. RT (I watch this very little and is available on Dish Network at a much lower bitrate)

I know that COZI is up there but I don't feel like moving the dish over to it, I don't watch it that much, yet. I can get it OTA which amazingly enough, KBMT is retransmitting it in 720p and a high bitrate (twice that of MeTV)

I guess within a year I'll just be taking the dishes down. There's going to be nothing left, for me... It'll make mowing the yard easier...
?
It was nice while it lasted but there's always a greedy capitalist that has to poop in the punch bowl and ruin it for everyone..

i would really see if they are changing to mpeg4 like Pbs did and others. I had to buy a different receiver. Look at the whole picture and if there is a duplicate feed in the clear.

I can't understand why they have to be such a-holes about scrambling C-band channels. Like really, how many people are left in the US with functional C-band dishes? Not many I would bet.
It has nothing to do with the backyard dish folks. Its rather simple honestly...
-Tribune owns the station now
-Tribune already has an existing mux out there on a different satellite
-There is room on that mux for an extra 480i SD station
-it costs NOTHING for them to scramble it

I guess I can't explain it any simpler
Well, more and more, FTA continues to be exterminated by capitalist greed.
has nothing to do with greed. There are more options to transmit a channel now than there were 5 years ago (and cheaper ones)

It was nice while it lasted but there's always a greedy capitalist that has to poop in the punch bowl and ruin it for everyone..
meanwhile there is always a debbie downer to post everytime a channel MIGHT leave :rolleyes:

While I do miss being able to see it on the big dish, honestly I would take a (as you put it) crappy signal on my local OTA versus not able to see it at all.

I could not get my new MicroHD to tune to THIS or MOVIES! Metv scanned in fine with two channels but not these two. Maybe I should have changed the scan to "FTV and Scrambled"
No PBS on 125 either...I'll have to check the forums to see if I missed something.

Update to the latest firmware if ThisTV, Movies! and MeTV channels scan and log, but do not retune.

If the channels do not log, then let's troubleshoot your system.

?
there is a local station in Beaumont.....but its on VHF 6 and its only at 500 watts
http://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=1535802&map=Y

Hmmm.. I should be within their range, according to rabbit ears and tvfool but I can't find it. I aimed my antenna directly at the tower, I have an antenna rotator that looks like an exact clone of a G-box, even the remotes are identical and interchangeable with the exception that you set the antenna to zero then aim it to the North. From there, you enter the compass number of the antenna you want to aim at. Like KIPS, I aim it at 319 degrees. Nothing.. :(

Maybe they already failed and died off. Or it's just waaaay too weak to reach me. It shouldn't be though, they are only 15 miles as the crow flies and there aren't any buildings, trees or hills in the way. It should be a straight shot.

I found ALL of the TV towers in the area and marked them in Google Earth. Then I had it draw a line from each tower to my antenna. I can "fly the line" and see if there are any obstructions in the way. Due to frequent hurricanes the google satellites images are very recent (updated in Jan. 2013) and very detailed, very high res. The path to KIPS is clear, it's over open, flat marshland and water and I'm 100% certain there's nothing in the way. Oh well...

I guess I will have to keep an eye on criagslist for an old radio tower. I have seen people have them by their homes for I guess CB radio or whatever that radio is where they yap on it all over the world, I don't know what it's called. But I've seen the towers around. Maybe someone will sell one. Even if I could get just a few sections and put one up to say, 40 feet, that would be perfect. Though I ain't climbing it! UH UH......... Nope... That's more than high enough to die if I fall. I don't even like getting on my roof, that's high enough to die too..

So yeah, a 40' tower and a BIG antenna like my dad has ought to do it. Maybe next year.... :no

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)