THE LAST DAY (THISTV)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Update to the latest firmware if ThisTV, Movies! and MeTV channels scan and log, but do not retune.

If the channels do not log, then let's troubleshoot your system.

Right now, all three are coming in fine for me. I manually entered the new transponder then scanned it for Movies! and it worked fine on the Feb. firmware.
I updated to the current firmware and it still works fine.

Hmmm.. I should be within their range, according to rabbit ears and tvfool but I can't find it. I aimed my antenna directly at the tower, I have an antenna rotator that looks like an exact clone of a G-box, even the remotes are identical and interchangeable with the exception that you set the antenna to zero then aim it to the North. From there, you enter the compass number of the antenna you want to aim at. Like KIPS, I aim it at 319 degrees. Nothing..
According to the guys at avsforum its still there but it has some issues
Its only 500 watts
tower is 120meters
its on VHF Low (2-6)

So your antenna has to have VHF Low also to pick it up (the real long elements on the antenna..click on link to see a VHF only antenna). The tower is (according to the FCC) near Morgan Park (North of Beaumont Proper)

According to the guys at avsforum its still there but it has some issues
Its only 500 watts
tower is 120meters
its on VHF Low (2-6)

So your antenna has to have VHF Low also to pick it up (the real long elements on the antenna..click on link to see a VHF only antenna). The tower is (according to the FCC) near Morgan Park (North of Beaumont Proper)

I am certain that I have the right kind of antenna, I had to get both a UHF and a VHF because KBMT was running VHF and UHF for a few years. I think they went to all UHF now on a single tower, all the problems I used to have with them are gone now and I get 100% signal on all 5 of their channels now. At the time I didn't have a rotor so I opted for two separate antennas so I could aim them at two different directions at the same time. I put a signal combiner between them. I sought out advice and help in the OTA forums in choosing the signal combiner. It does work fine. However now I aligned both antennas in the same direction and just rely on the rotor now. KBMT is so strong now I can sort of pick the average direction between KFDM, KBTV (eh) and KVHP without worrying about KBMT. That gets all of them in pretty nicely. KVHP can be troublesome at times but it's not a big deal. I only watch People's Court on it once a day anyway.

Anyway..

I also have a pre-amplifier as well. When I put it on, BAM! A lot of channels came in that I had never seen before. Without the pre-amp, not so good. It made a HUGE difference..

I also got all technical with google earth and I have visual verification of all the local TV towers and distant ones too. Lucky for me google earth photos in this area are very detailed and zoomed in.
I can see the LNB's on my dishes, I can count the smallest flower pots on my patio now. No more sun bathing on the patio! Google is watching !! :eek:

h--p://i.minus.com/ibrabUhpyNKQ27.png

If the tower is 120 meters up then there is no concern with things in the way, that's MUCH taller than any potential tree or building in this area and it's a straight shot from here, 15 miles. Just marsh land between the tower and my antenna, no hills, buildings or trees tall enough to obstruct THAT. My antenna is 21' up btw..

Oh and here's a screenshot of the tower locations from where I am and the heat map (is that the right term?) for KIPS. I'm in the blue which should be OK considering I can point directly at them and have a pre-amp.

h--p://i.minus.com/iZx8S72E5TN37.png

Attachments

• IMG_1731.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 230
  • Screen Shot 2013-07-29 at 11.02.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-29 at 11.02.17 PM.png
    669.7 KB · Views: 330
  • Screen Shot 2013-07-29 at 11.02.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-29 at 11.02.00 PM.png
    618.2 KB · Views: 310
Wow Dee, you are paranoid about revealing your location and then practically draw a map to your door. You might say I get the gist of you location from all this OTA discussion. ;)

I noticed it about a week ago and again last night.
This morning is open again.
Anyone else see this happen?

Looks like it will go encrypt full time come November 1st according to the "open" forum.

c/p:
As Part of MGM's agreement with Tribune Broadcasting, This TV will be encrypting and moving to Galaxy 14 - 13 C. There will be dual feeds on SES 1 and Galaxy 14 for the month of October and then the SES 1 feed will drop on Nov. 1st

Looks like it will go encrypt full time come November 1st according to the "open" forum.

c/p:
As Part of MGM's agreement with Tribune Broadcasting, This TV will be encrypting and moving to Galaxy 14 - 13 C. There will be dual feeds on SES 1 and Galaxy 14 for the month of October and then the SES 1 feed will drop on Nov. 1st

?CR*P !!!!!!! :cry:

Even my hick market has it, second sub channel on the local ABC. First sub is CW (ya in SD).

Last edited:
Well enjoy til November .

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

U can't get it via OTA??

Not without putting up a tower and a much larger antenna. I'm on the fringes of KPLC and I just can not get it with what I have.
There is some little Mickey Mouse local 500 watt ultra lower power channel in the area and I can not get it either, I suspect they may have gone under, I don't know.
But getting it OTA, is no go for me without spending a bunch of money.. :(

"Well, more and more, FTA continues to be exterminated by capitalist greed.
It won't be long before it's all gone.

I guess within a year I'll just be taking the dishes down. There's going to be nothing left, for me... It'll make mowing the yard easier... It was nice while it lasted but there's always a greedy capitalist that has to poop in the punch bowl and ruin it for everyone.."

Dee_Ann,

Nothing in FTA land is permanent...we all have to remember that.
Taking dishes down may be a little drastic...who knows what will be FTA in the future.

Will this effect ME TV or is this just effecting THIS ?

It shouldn't effect MeTV or Movies! as they are still owned by Weigel. Weigel sold This! to Tribune, who also owns AntennaTV, sounds like they ( Tribune) will be moving This! to the mux on G14 with Antenna and WGN which is scrambled.

Dee - it looks like your OTA antenna (mounted below the UHF)is for channels 1-13(VHF-HI) probably a poor performer for VHF-LO. VHF-LO ant would be almost 6 ft wide.

Not without putting up a tower and a much larger antenna. I'm on the fringes of KPLC and I just can not get it with what I have.
There is some little Mickey Mouse local 500 watt ultra lower power channel in the area and I can not get it either, I suspect they may have gone under, I don't know.

Any neighbors next to you with an OTA antenna that you can see how high they have theirs and and verify that they are Rx ThisTV???

The antenna you have for VHF is a VHF Hi only (7-13) and wont work worth a crap (see you can type crap without the * here) on 2-6
Another option although further out is Houston has it on the NBC (RF channel 35 maps to 2-2) and looking at tvfool maps its kinda 6 or half dozen depending on which one you try and get (Lake Charles or Houston) although Lake Charles would be easier (IMO) as its on VHF (VHF transmits further)

Honestly you could upgrade your VHF antenna and have a better chance of getting Lake Charles. This is the one I use to have to get a VHF station 72 miles away (the one on the right)...under $40 at solidsignal.com

Attachments

• PICT0099.JPG
    PICT0099.JPG
    298.5 KB · Views: 275
Oooooooooh......... :eek:

I thought my antennas would cover everything.. Apparently not.. :/

Ok, well I can't afford a new antenna for a few weeks but I'll start shopping.

I might as well go big.. I want one that gets everything on a single antenna without combiners and gadgets. I'm still going to keep the pre-amp though.
My dad has a really big antenna and he gets lots of stuff I can't get. Then again, his is also about 10 feet higher than mine.

Maybe then I can get KIPS and it probably wouldn't hurt with getting KPLC which is very weak for me. It might also help get AntennaTV in Houston which I can rarely get, if I stand on one foot, pat my head and hold a roll of tin foil in my other hand.

Just for fun, I googled "used radio towers for sale" and I was surprised to see there are a lot of options and they are a lot cheaper than I would have expected.
It seems they come in 10 foot sections. I could probably save up and spring for three sections. That should let me get an antenna up to about 33-35 foot and I think that would make a huge difference!
I assume I would have to put support wires on it since I'm in hurricane alley and I would have to get safety stuff for climbing it. I'm terrified of heights so I wouldn't be going up it very often! :eek:
Thirty feet is crazy high, it makes me dizzy thinking about it..

I also was googling KIPS and I found a little ad where it appears they have the station up for sale. See the attachment..

http://www.radiotvdeals.com/35m8/texas.html?i2039437:page=3 (2nd ad from the top, #22 on page 3)

?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-31 at 6.42.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-31 at 6.42.16 PM.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 273
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)