Signal quality...(On a clear day - I am getting Pixelation. What's wrong?)

a94cobra

Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
I have the standard 18" dish. I am on my third box. I have the 5.68 software finally. I get a signal strength of 94-95. But my picture tiles up alot. Like you get during rain fade. This is on a clear day, no wind, no rain. I have yet to watch one single program without at least one garbled mess on the screen. I am about ready to give this puppy back.

You people talk about a bigger dish. Will this help my problem?

thx

I had a rio red 1994 SVT Mustang Cobra. Wasn't as fast as the new models with the 4.6, but I'd take that car again anyday over a new one because of the pushrod 5.0. First bolt-on and it would run with/outrun the 1996-1998 4.6L Cobras. I also prefer the taillights 1994-1995.

Sorry for the nostalgia trip.

a94cobra said:
I have the standard 18" dish. I am on my third box. I have the 5.68 software finally. I get a signal strength of 94-95. But my picture tiles up alot. Like you get during rain fade. This is on a clear day, no wind, no rain. I have yet to watch one single program without at least one garbled mess on the screen. I am about ready to give this puppy back.

You people talk about a bigger dish. Will this help my problem?

thx

If you are getting pixelation during clear days, you must have another problem. Get a service call because something is wrong and the 36" dish will not resolve your problem.

Some possibilities:

1. Diplexor. If the diplexors where installed on your cable (both by dish and by receiver), take them off and see if it helps.
2. Dish moving (perhaps not mounted correctly or on unstable mount)
3. Tree branches obstructing part of signal. Or something else (birds perhaps) moving in front of the dish.
4. Bad LNB
5. Marginal or flaky connector somewhere on the Cable.

Replacing the STB is the EASY answer (easy from the help desks persons point of view) that you will get from someone sitting on the phone all day........

If all of your gear is OK, you should not experience breakups until the signal gets down to about 72, at 70 it is gone.

I removed the diplexors myself to see if that help it did not. The dish is mounted firmly. It is in the same spot as the DTV dish was. No trees, and no birds hanging around. Maybe I will inspect all the connectors myself to see if they built them right(no grounding themselves.)

"If all of your gear is OK, you should not experience breakups until the signal gets down to about 72, at 70 it is gone."

ya we had a good thunder boomer the other night and i was gettin 72-74 and it was braking up.i was kind of pleased beacause a normal rain should not affect my voom reception .on a clear sunny day i get 95-97.should voom send out a tech to pinpoint the problem?i would think after the 2nd stb did not do the trick the csr should have set you up with someone to come out and take a look.

Does your signal strength fluctuate more than +/- 1 when you look at the point dish screen?

a94cobra said:
I removed the diplexors myself to see if that help it did not. The dish is mounted firmly. It is in the same spot as the DTV dish was. No trees, and no birds hanging around. Maybe I will inspect all the connectors myself to see if they built them right(no grounding themselves.)
If you still have the DTV LNB you can test using it instead of the one from Voom. (They are compatible). If you have more than one STB connect to just one (to test). (sounds like you only have one though)
Are you still using a DTV (or Voom) multiswitch? If so, test without.

Yes, I just have the one reciever. No I already took down the DTV dish. But I could swap the LNB's on the end. Voom's multiswitch that was installed here, has one end of the diplexor built in. So three feeds, LNB A, LNB B, and OTA, to one cable going in.

Hi All,

This thread was just in time. I too am having pixel problems. ...and my signal strength is +/- 12. Weather clear. It peaks at around 90 with power of 70 and 12 snr. My frequency is 1003.125 and wont stay at 1235.444. (although i'm not sure that this is the same for every location) I live in south-western Montana. And the dish appears to be pointed at a mountain that is about 4 miles away.

This was installed (joke) on Wednesday and the most the guy could get was 40. He said to wait a few days and see what happens. Nada. I moved the dish to a higher location and got my current numbers. Voom techs did the normal boots and buttons routine to no avail.

With this signal and my local i am just just wondering if Voom will work, and more importantly if I'll have signal in the winter.

I have one reciever, dual LNB with a single coax. No switch or diplexor. I did notice on the white cover of the LNB there apears to be several impact areas
that have turned the plastic white. About the size of a pea... So a D-tv LNB will swap out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Jeff

Its ALIVE....
I swapped out the LNB... shazam. Hi_DEF...
First time i've ever seen it as well...
Thanks for a great site.
...still curious about winter though...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts