GEOSATpro Signal Quality Update Rate

DRCars

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 16, 2010
Southern USA
Would it be possible to slow down the signal quality update rate by increasing/implementing averaging rate to more like 2-4 seconds?

Currently, the update rate is something like 1/2 second on both the Signal Meter screen and the Info screen. This fast rate makes it hard to peak the signal quality on low quality signals since the numbers jump around so much. I generally have to go to my computer setup which does not jump around nearly as much to peak marginal signals. My brain just can't keep up with all those quickly changing numbers enough to get a good feel for whether a change I made has improved the signal or not.

DRCars

We have chosen to display Pre-BER Signal Quality readings instead of post-BER as this type is a more immediate and accurate measurement. A Signal Quality reading is not based on intervals or averaging.

Have tried using the full screen signal meter's six second histograph? This display might be more to your preferences. The quality reading in the bar graph is updated more slowly in one second intervals.

The less fluctuation of the Signal Quality reading, the less error in the received signal. When you observe extreme level changes, major adjustments are likely needed. Minor adjustments are required when a smaller range of reading is observed.

Last edited:
That all sounds real nifty but the signal meters are still not very useful for me on marginal signals. If you don't intend to change or can't change this then this is not going to be a very good receiver, at least for me, for peaking on marginal signals. Add that to the so-called signal level readings which only have 3 states (0, 45 and 90) and I am somewhat disappointed in this receiver in its handling of signal readings compared to others I have used. I never dreamed that it wouldn't display real signal levels like my old Pansat 2700A. You can actually watch the level gradually increase and decrease as you go from satellite to satellite even without a lock. Very handy.

Yes, I have looked at the quality reading on the 6 second histogram screen. It is more like 1/2 second update interval not 1 second as you say so it isn't any better for me on marginal signals that jump around a lot. It is probably 6/10=0.6 seconds since it is 6 seconds long and has 10 bars. In 10 seconds I counted about 16-17 quality number reading changes ~=0.6. Perhaps that screen could be changed to a longer reading interval? 2 seconds would be much more useful, at least for me and my smallish dish (7.5 ft.).

DRCars

We will look into implementing a user selectable menu setting for the Signal Quality reading display for pre-FEC BER or post- FEC BER.

ALI is not my favorite chipset for metering, but we developed the feature the best we could on the foundation. We wanted this receiver's SQ response to more closely mirror an installation meter. Installer meters typically display the Signal Quality as pre-FEC BER as the response is more instant. Post-BER metering introduces a delay as the receiver does not display the raw real-time errors.

The Pansat 2500/2700 and the Fortec Star Liftime Ultra (based on the ST chipset) had a unique processing for the Signal Level that I have not observed on any other STB since (even from Pansat or Fortec). The interpretation of the Signal Level reading was very linear and indeed was a great tool for optimizing an install.

Thank you for your input! :)

Thank you for considering this.

A selectable setting would be great if it would allow a slower update rate so my slow brain can keep up. Would that be the case?

DRCars

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)