Signal Quality

Status
Please reply by conversation.

satcustomer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
California
I've read that the Fortec Mercury receivers don't produce signal readings as high as other receivers such as the Coolsat. On my Fortec receiver, on strong channels, such as FOX-KUIL and GBN, I get signal quality readings of 60 to 68%, on average. I guess it might also depend on one's location, too, right?

Signal strength will depend on location. In a same location different recievers will produce different readings as there is no standardization on SQ calibration across manufacturers. I do not have experience with Fortec, as I remember 72 is highest reading in a Fortec.

Last edited:
I am also in CA and I get strong signals on GBN..it maxes out on my Coolsat. What readings you get on Azteca Channels (I think on IA-6, 93 W?

Can heat to the LNB cause signal loss? Last two days it has been quite warm here and I keep losing, for example, the USU channels on AMC5, but I get the NYN channels on that bird. I have a Invacom SNH-031 LNB.

I also have the wonderful Invacom QPH-031

This must have been the hottest summer here in MN. (in the last few years) and the heat (and cold in winter) do NOT make any differance to my LNB. (Or any LNB I have)

I have noticed better signal quality on nice cool evenings, but only slightly!

If the dish is warped, heat may bend it worse! From behind the dish, pull gently on both sides of the dish, keep an eye on the signal quality meter as you do this!

Do the same top and bottom, if you see the signal quaity JUMP, then you can more or less say the dish is warped!

satcustomer said:
I've read that the Fortec Mercury receivers don't produce signal readings as high as other receivers such as the Coolsat. On my Fortec receiver, on strong channels, such as FOX-KUIL and GBN, I get signal quality readings of 60 to 68%, on average. I guess it might also depend on one's location, too, right?

They will also lock a signal on a much lower number than a Coolsat will so numbers are really meaningless.

every box is different. Here are some good examples

-Coolsat minimum for a lock is 63. Max is 85 or 98 (some boxes on version 1.00 factory go to 85 max where some on version 1.01 factory max at 98)
-Pansat 1500 minimum is 30 and max is 99
-Fortec minimum I think is 35 and max Ive seen is 90 (on KUIL but its just off my TS)
-Satworks reads low. Mainly 40-50 MAX but its steady as a rock
-KUSat shows 98 whether its 50 or 99
-Pansat 2100 is 98 for a signal (again not dependent)

so every box is different. Here is one I did a while back. Same signal (ONN), same setup, 2 boxes (Pansat 1500 & Coolsat 4000). Look at signal difference

Attachments

• SBS6 test ONN Coolsat.JPG
    SBS6 test ONN Coolsat.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 168
  • SBS6 test ONN Pansat.JPG
    SBS6 test ONN Pansat.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 168
satcustomer said:
On the Azteca channels, I get signal quality in the mid-50%.
Definitely you have problem with your alignement / dish. I get same SQ on GBN and Azteca channels in San Jose area (CA). Check the way Pete has advised you :)

Nah! They can be un-warped :0)

Just by gently pulling on it you will see, you can also lay you dish reflector face down on very flat surface to make sure its flat all round!

You could also use string, from top to bottom and from side to side, the strings should touch in the middle!

just wondering how a viewsat rates in the singal field?? seam that viewsat has to have a high singal to turn green or pic it up..

No dish warping here, thankfully! I did a minor adjustment to the motor elevation (after first attempting to tweak the dish elevation) and that was the trick! Get everything with much stronger overall signal quality. The only problem channel is ABC New Now on IA8. I get really good signal quality on that channel, but instead of seeing a picture, I was (at least as of last night) getting only a black screen.

The black screen was mentioned in another post, its at their end :)

Glad to hear you got it all sorted :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)