Signal Strength Problem

thompsw@pobox.com

Original poster
Nov 22, 2006
I have a starchoice eliptical dish and corresponding receiver that I have moved to Florida (New Smyrna Beach) for the winter. My supplier in Ontario calculated compass, elevation and skew for me to be 214, 44.9, and 114 respectively. My signal strength is coming in at 40 at best, but more typically mid 30's and drops out entirely if there is any cloud cover at all. Some channels come in without problem (eg. 299) but others, (eg 564 HGTV) are marginal and others (eg 528 Space) do not come in at all.

First -- are the recomended settings correct ? Any small motion reduces signal to zero -- left or right or up / down -- I have not tried playing with the skew. I also do not have any special equipment -- i.e. my spouse is inside calling out the readings as I play with the dish on the roof ... frustrating at best.

thanks.

Dave.

Get a bigger dish, especially in Florida. I was down year ago in October and noticed everyone had bigger dishes for everything because of the rain among other stuff. When F1R went into service, we lost some 3 - 6 db of signal across the southern states. I have complained to Telesat about this since I do have service coming off that satellite for commercial use. Of course in the end, either I live with it or get a bigger dish. but since you haven't messed with the skew, try it but a notch at a time and remember chalk, mark your spots.

Thanks -- but I would understand the low signal if it was only during cloudy periods -- the thing is, I've got a low signal even when the sky is clear.

I'll play with the skew per your suggestion and see what happens.

Can someone double check my suggested elevation and skew readings ? I don't have access to a program (or table) to help me in that regard.

Do you have 60 or 70 cm dish? It should be a 75 cm.

Also what is your signal level on F2 (channels 420 and 559)?

Checkout Mike Kohl's site for correct values for your area
http://www.global-cm.net/CAN/point/USA-H.html

Your 214 setting is confusing. Methinks you might have the dish pointed at F1R (107.3) - it needs to be pointed at F2 (111.1)

If you got your product from Kusat, you could have the wrong numbers. He seems incapable of providing the correct SC settings for all of North America.

Last edited:
Thanks -- I checked the comprehensive city list for the skew readings and those too are differenct than I was supplied ... I'll be up on the roof shortly to try again !

Kusat is not my supplier -- I'm in a remote area up north and my installer is a great guy, but zero experience with U.S. settings it seems.

Dave.

Much Better !! -- I got the signal on 299 up to 60 (it was bouncing up to 66 at times as I played with it but I decided to give up at this point). I'll play around with it some more if necessary.

I seem to be getting most channels now -- my signal strength is 48 on channels 420 and 559.

How strong a signal should I be getting ?

Also, I checked the width of the dish and it measures just under 32 inches or 81 cm -- this must be the 75 cm dish, correct ?

Thanks again -- I've ordered a signal strength meter so that I can make adjustments and see the signal strength right at the dish (vs my spouse running out and calling out readings, which gets old pretty quickly !!).

Dave.

The important number is the EcB #

On 2XX, 3XX, 4XX receivers, you see it by pushing "Options", then 6-0-5. Push the right arrow key until you see "Diag C" screen. The EcB# is below the channel # with a "+" sign in front of it.

I cannot find a model number, but on mine (a fairly recently purchased HD receiver) --

-- options
-- 6 = system setup
-- pressing 0 is then "go back" but 4 is sytem settings
-- then I have a number of options including 3=installation settings (which includes satellite tuning) and 7=system status which shows A.Unit ID, B.Authorization Status, C.Signal (which includes an Ecb/No:), D.Network Data Status, E.Trip Count, etc. etc.

Is that what you're looking for ? There does not seem to be a channel associated with the Ecb/No:.

well, I'm back at zero -- the receiver flips to green occasionally but signal strength and Ecb/No: 0.0 dB. There is a little cloud in the sky -- obviously my setup is marginal.

I have a signal again -- without making any adjustments (air must be clearer) -- and am getting signal strength 43 and Ecb/No: 4.4 dB (this on channel 299)

What should I expect when aimed correctly ??

Thanks.

Service came back last evening and improved over time -- now, early in the morning on Channel 500 CNN, I am getting signal strength of 38 and Ecb/No: 6.0 dB.

Oh -- and my receiver is the DSR505.

Suggestions anyone ?

Thanks !

Cableviewaview already gave you the answer - you need a bigger dish. The 60cm is too small for Florida to get no signal loss during medium to heavy cloud cover.

Your dealer/installer in Ontario should have known better - sent you down with the wrong dish and wrong aiming numbers.

Like I have said, a bigger dish is what it will take to get the signal you need. 90cm or better is what your going to need. Contact Mike Kohl at Global, link: http://www.global-cm.net/ He will be able to help you out with what you need and can best recommend what you need. I'm in Alabama with a 75cm and have right at ebno of 7.0 to 8.5 depending on transponder. Use to be better until F1R came on line.

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure out what I currently have - measuring the Star Choice eliptical dish -- would this measurement translate into the 75cm dish ? I understand the recommendation to "get a bigger dish" but the first question that any supplier would have is "what do you have now?" and I don't know. I asked this question earlier in the thread too but no one is responding.

Thanks.

The information on the suggested website above, http://www.global-cm.net/, will help you. Study it carefully in the section on "The Canadian Solution". There is a lot of info, and some of it is buried in very fine print, so you need to dig a little.

I believe the *C standard dish is 75cm. For my solution a Patriot 85E elliptical dish was recommended (see website above). Now that I have it pointed at single satellite (F2, only, for my purposes), the signal strengths are in the 70's and eb# +8.8. The picture quality exceeds what local cable provides.

Your latitude is several degress further south than mine. I'm at 33.5. So it would make sense you would need larger dish.

Again, and I have no affiliation with them other than being a customer, the gentleman at the above-suggested website will have an answer for you.

SC only has two sizes they use, 60cm and 75cm. Mike can help you out as we have mentioned and get you what you need for both F1R and F2 so you enjoy your service while in Florida.

looks like I probably have the 75cm -- which according to their website should be ok at this latitude. I'll call them and see what they recommend.

thanks ...

Dave.