Signal today? (5/12)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

aarton

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
My signal strength is normal today (it's always around 70) and 80% of the channels are not coming in at all and most that do are blocky and cutting out all the time. Anyone else seeing this? Talking to customer service they say our box might be defective. we've only been installed about 5 days so I'm not sure if this just happens sometime or what, it's been pretty good for the most part until now. There have been some problems when it was raining so I understand that but it's really clear out now..

Sean Mota said:
Did you try to unplug/plug the receiver?

Yes, that's the first thing I tried.. customer service also had me do a reset by holding the power button down, that didn't help either.

aarton said:
My signal strength is normal today (it's always around 70) ...

I'm not sure what constitutes a "normal" signal, but 70 seems kinda low. My signal is around 95 most of the time. When it rained hard and was pretty windy here recently, my signal dropped into the 70s and I received a lot of breakups. Today my signal was fine at around 95.

FunkyBoss said:
I'm not sure what constitutes a "normal" signal, but 70 seems kinda low. My signal is around 95 most of the time. When it rained hard and was pretty windy here recently, my signal dropped into the 70s and I received a lot of breakups. Today my signal was fine at around 95.

When our installer was here (the second one, the first ones came and said it couldn't be done and a month later we got someone else to come out) he couldn't get it above 30. He said sometimes it "jumps up later" and left after trying to get it higher for 2 hours. The next day after a software update it was at 70, it's never been higher than that though.

70 is low. It definitely needs to be repeaked. When mine is below 74 all hell breaks loose with my channels.

aarton said:
When our installer was here (the second one, the first ones came and said it couldn't be done and a month later we got someone else to come out) he couldn't get it above 30. He said sometimes it "jumps up later" and left after trying to get it higher for 2 hours. The next day after a software update it was at 70, it's never been higher than that though.

That seems to be your problem. 70 is very low, you should have 90+.
Try to repeak your dish.

Scubasoul said:
That seems to be your problem. 70 is very low, you should have 90+.
Try to repeak your dish.

That's kind of hard since I don't have a ladder that can reach it.. thanks for the advice though.

My normal is 95 and when I hit 72 I start getting breakups and at 70 I have no picture.

argh! well I guess I know what my problem is then. Hey, when you look at the signal is the bottom bar that shows the level of the signal green or yellow? Ours is yellow, I noticed on the installer docs that it was green. I know when he was trying to get a signal it was red then turned yellow after he started to get a signal. Should it be green if it's a clear signal? Or do these colors not matter? Maybe I should rent a ladder and adjust it.

I tweaked mine on Saturday, it was reading 87 and was Yellow, once I got above 90 it turned Green. I think the color is just an indicator of the strength.

DarrellP said:
I tweaked mine on Saturday, it was reading 87 and was Yellow, once I got above 90 it turned Green. I think the color is just an indicator of the strength.

I see. Thanks.

I live in a Cleveland Ohio burb and my signal is 95-96, We had a severe thuderstorm last night and lost the electric for a few secs but I checked the signal when it was raining hard and it was still 95! I was impressed.

I'm talking about quality, the power doesn't change much. Funny thing, when my quality went to zero, my power was at 60. When my quality is 95, the power is about 71, so it varies a very small degree compared to the quality reading.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)