Signal

Corrado

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
Hudson Valley Region, NY
Curious how the signal quality is standing up for subscribers in poor weather conditions with the Orby dish.

I setup a Primestar 1.0x .70cm satellite dish for monitoring the Orby transponders last weekend. I found the signal within a minute or so and has been quite strong until now. Currently, there is heavy wet snow falling with a slight glaze of ice on the dish itself. At this moment I'm thinking swapping the LNBF back to the factory Primestar LNB with the built in scalar to rule that out when the weather improves in the event the feed isn't quite optimized. But this setup has worked well in the past on 97W for about a year.
20190220_181452.jpg

In Northern CA, the CN on the Orbi TV dish hangs close to 13.5dB and the 1m Muzak 14.8. The lowest that I have observed during a heavy downpour has been mid 11's. This leaves at least a 4db headroom.

What is the usual CN on this set-up in clear weather? These readings seem quite low for this size of reflector.

Any ice on the LNBF cover? That will knock down readings FAST!

Reactions: southaven1981
In Northern CA, the CN on the Orbi TV dish hangs close to 13.5dB and the 1m Muzak 14.8. The lowest that I have observed during a heavy downpour has been mid 11's. This leaves at least a 4db headroom.

What is the usual CN on this set-up in clear weather? These readings seem quite low for this size of reflector.

Any ice on the LNBF cover? That will knock down readings FAST!

It appears to me that he's using a replacement standard ku lnbf, which means he's not properly illuminating that dish completely. He needs to use the special Primestar feed.

Curious how the signal quality is standing up for subscribers in poor weather conditions with the Orby dish.

I setup a Primestar 1.0x .70cm satellite dish for monitoring the Orby transponders last weekend. I found the signal within a minute or so and has been quite strong until now. Currently, there is heavy wet snow falling with a slight glaze of ice on the dish itself. At this moment I'm thinking swapping the LNBF back to the factory Primestar LNB with the built in scalar to rule that out when the weather improves in the event the feed isn't quite optimized. But this setup has worked well in the past on 97W for about a year.
View attachment 137277
I have a 90 cm dish standard lnb light snow 21 F
SQ 99
SS 82 currently
reading from Orby reciever
Dish Elevation: 25.7°

Reactions: truckracer
The C/N was 12.7 dB to 13 during setup and very close over the last few days in good weather. There is a coating of ice from sleet earlier this evening on everything here.

This was a quick setup just to make some observations over a period of time while contemplating switching from the Dish Flex pack. Now that the Dish price increase went into effect, the price is within $2/ month. I like the MT Channel and The Science Channel choices in the lower tier.

Reactions: truckracer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)