Can't get satellite signal at all!!!

Barb H.

Original poster
May 2, 2020
Loma, CO 81524
Have moved that dish everywhere, came back in the house and there something blocking the signal it says. I moved the placement of the dish on dishpointer and everywhere I move it the signal is blocked.... I don't understand why it would be blocked.

Have moved that dish everywhere, came back in the house and there something blocking the signal it says. I moved the placement of the dish on dishpointer and everywhere I move it the signal is blocked.... I don't understand why it would be blocked.
Welcome to Satellite Guys! Is this an initial install and trying to get a signal or were you already installed and receiving signal and lost it?

Its an initial install

Welcome to Satellite Guys! Is this an initial install and trying to get a signal or were you already installed and receiving signal and lost it?
initial install

OK. Looks like you are using dishpointer.com. This is what I use to set up all my FTA dishes and my Orby. Very good site. Are you using a compass? Do you have any trees in your yard?
yes there are trees but I have the dish on a post outside not very high. New roof don't want screws in it. lol

yes there are trees but I have the dish on a post outside not very high. New roof don't want screws in it. lol
I can put the pointer on dish pointer anywhere down the road, mile or so but it always says there is an obstacle.
I understand not wanting to mess with new roof - better on the ground if possible anyway. Using dishpointer, if you are sure that you are pointed in the correct direction for the satellite (azimuth) and there are no tall trees or buildings you should be fine. When I entered your coordinates in dishpointer it appears there are no tall objects facing the southwest sky. The pole needs to be plumb. Did you use the sat meter that is included with the install kit or are you moving the dish then going back inside to see if you have signal that will not work. When aiming the dish it must be moved in tiny increments (a fraction of an inch) or you will miss the signal entirely.

I understand not wanting to mess with new roof - better on the ground if possible anyway. Using dishpointer, if you are sure that you are pointed in the correct direction for the satellite (azimuth) and there are no tall trees or buildings you should be fine. When I entered your coordinates in dishpointer it appears there are no tall objects facing the southwest sky. The pole needs to be plumb. Did you use the sat meter that is included with the install kit or are you moving the dish then going back inside to see if you have signal that will not work. When aiming the dish it must be moved in tiny increments (a fraction of an inch) or you will miss the signal entirely.
Koe was turning dish I was looking inside at tv. The dish network dish was on that pole too. It worked just fine, you did not see an obstacle on dishpointer?

I think you're misinterpreting what you're seeing on DishPointer. At your location the dish elevation will be close to 45 degrees, and it looks like your property has a number of locations where the signal should clear any obstructions and some with no obstructions at all. I'd suggest using one of the free dish aiming apps on your smartphone to verify a clear look angle using virtual reality overlaid on the camera view.

Koe was turning dish I was looking inside at tv. The dish network dish was on that pole too. It worked just fine, you did not see an obstacle on dishpointer?
The satellite I need is the 116.8 W SATMEX?
Correct, 116.8 has the two Orby transponders. Using dishpointer green line as a reference if no tall object (tree, building, etc) falls along that line then you have a clear line of sight to the satellite. The Orby signal is weaker than DISH or DirecTV signals so will be harder to lock. Really best if you have the meter from the install kit to use that or take your Orby receiver and a small tv out to the dish. Make sure the elevation is correct on your dish using the setting on dishpointer. VERY SLOWLY move the dish one direction then the other to see if you get a signal. If not adjust the elevation a tiny amount up or down and repeat the above until you get a signal lock.

Reactions: Tvland1
Correct, 116.8 has the two Orby transponders. Using dishpointer green line as a reference if no tall object (tree, building, etc) falls along that line then you have a clear line of sight to the satellite. The Orby signal is weaker than DISH or DirecTV signals so will be harder to lock. Really best if you have the meter from the install kit to use that or take your Orby receiver and a small tv out to the dish. Make sure the elevation is correct on your dish using the setting on dishpointer. VERY SLOWLY move the dish one direction then the other to see if you get a signal. If not adjust the elevation a tiny amount up or down and repeat the above until you get a signal lock.
is Eutelsat 113 west A the same satellite? My phone compass is not good at all, dang.

is Eutelsat 113 west A the same satellite? My phone compass is not good at all, dang.
No, you need Eutelsat 117 West A (which is actually at 116.8 orbital location) and is about four degrees further west than 113. I don't like the phone compasses myself and always use dishpointer and an old style float compass. Just take your time, work SLOWLY and you will get it. :)

No, you need Eutelsat 117 West A (which is actually at 116.8 orbital location) and is about four degrees further west than 113. I don't like the phone compasses myself and always use dishpointer and an old style float compass. Just take your time, work SLOWLY and you will get it. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)