Can't get ONE channel

cluelesss

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2020
new Orleans, LA
Hey folks,

I just had a second box installed, and it took a while for the guy to figure out the splicing/separating/whatever they did to make it work. One of the main problems was they couldn't the OTA channels to come through. Eventually they figured it out, and said it was due to where the antenna was positioned in the attic.

Everything appeared fine, but literally as they were leaving I noticed the one channel starting to pixelate out....and it's been out since.

This ONE OTA channel wont come in, but everything else seems to be fine.

Any suggestions as to what the problem is, and how to fix this? Could it really just be the antenna position?

Hey folks,

I just had a second box installed, and it took a while for the guy to figure out the splicing/separating/whatever they did to make it work. One of the main problems was they couldn't the OTA channels to come through. Eventually they figured it out, and said it was due to where the antenna was positioned in the attic.

Everything appeared fine, but literally as they were leaving I noticed the one channel starting to pixelate out....and it's been out since.

This ONE OTA channel wont come in, but everything else seems to be fine.

Any suggestions as to what the problem is, and how to fix this? Could it really just be the antenna position?
Welcome to Satellite Guys! :) Were you getting that channel fine when you only had the single Orby receiver? If so, it sounds like the signal is too weak to feed two receivers.

Thanks for the welcome!

Yes I was getting the channel fine with one box. If the signal is too weak for 2 boxes, wouldn't it also be too weak for all the other channels?

Thanks for the welcome!

Yes I was getting the channel fine with one box. If the signal is too weak for 2 boxes, wouldn't it also be too weak for all the other channels?
If they used a splitter to feed the OTA to the two receivers then that would decrease the signal at both receivers. If the station is borderline to begin with then it may be weak enough to cause it to pixelate or drop out.

This is my setup that I installed myself. I have a mast-mounted amp for my antenna to boost the OTA signal before distribution. The OTA coax and the Orby coax are fed into a Zinwell SAM-3402 multiswitch which then feeds our four Orby receivers. I also have ASKA PT-1 surge supressors on both coax inputs. Here is a pic of my connections.

Orby Hookup.JPG

Well, oddly, for 10 mins the signal was fine.....then began to pixelate on and off....and then....screen was black. And it hasn't changed since then.

This whole situation kinda blows my mind...

If they used a splitter to feed the OTA to the two receivers then that would decrease the signal at both receivers. If the station is borderline to begin with then it may be weak enough to cause it to pixelate or drop out.

Looks like you know what you're doing....but that image is very helpful....thanks!

This is my setup that I installed myself. I have a mast-mounted amp for my antenna to boost the OTA signal before distribution. The OTA coax and the Orby coax are fed into a Zinwell SAM-3402 multiswitch which then feeds our four Orby receivers. I also have ASKA PT-1 surge supressors on both coax inputs. Here is a pic of my connections.

View attachment 146033

Well, oddly, for 10 mins the signal was fine.....then began to pixelate on and off....and then....screen was black. And it hasn't changed since then.

This whole situation kinda blows my mind...
Looks like you know what you're doing....but that image is very helpful....thanks!
Most likely it is your weakest channel and it may come and go based on the time of day, atmospheric conditions, etc. Best bet is to call Orby/installer and explain the situation to them, especially the part about it working fine when you only had one receiver. They may need to add a signal booster before they split it to the receivers (can't boost too much though as overboosted signals can be just as bad as too weak ones. May require a different antenna. Either way they should remedy this. May be cost for additional parts but at least there should be no further labor charge in my opinion. Let us know how it goes. :)

They came out twice already....and I kinda feel like this is the best i'm going to get out of them. The first guy needed to call his boss and it took an hour for them to finally get it working. It shouldn't be that way....but...yeah. That will be my last resort.

I feel stupid asking this, but i'm also genuinely intrigued: I have a bunch of stainless wire, and some metal mesh (all from other projects still lying around) If I went up there and wove the mesh to the antenna with the wire I have, would that (arguably) improve reception by "extending" the antenna?

It's well aware its primitive but I vaguely remember using aluminum foil as a kid and i recall helped....so I can't help but wonder...?

Whaddya think?

Most likely it is your weakest channel and it may come and go based on the time of day, atmospheric conditions, etc. Best bet is to call Orby/installer and explain the situation to them, especially the part about it working fine when you only had one receiver. They may need to add a signal booster before they split it to the receivers (can't boost too much though as overboosted signals can be just as bad as too weak ones. May require a different antenna. Either way they should remedy this. May be cost for additional parts but at least there should be no further labor charge in my opinion. Let us know how it goes. :)

OR...could I just get a second antenna, and using both antennas and the splitter attached, broaden my reception that way?

As well, In rough weather I often lose signal--and it's a common occurrence, so as well my thought is, the "more antenna" I have, the better the signal capture and less it should cut out...no?

I have no idea how this works, but you can't fault me for being creative!

Attachments

• 2aa53bd0-f0d7-420b-9332-4caf500163dd_1.98b8c518632235f90690279ed803253c.jpeg
    2aa53bd0-f0d7-420b-9332-4caf500163dd_1.98b8c518632235f90690279ed803253c.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 182
... I have a bunch of stainless wire, and some metal mesh (all from other projects still lying around) If I went up there and wove the mesh to the antenna with the wire I have, would that (arguably) improve reception by "extending" the antenna?
It could make it better or worse, depending on the lengths of the wire and where you put it.

What is the frequency of the channel you are trying to get? Is is VHF-Hi or UHF?

Also, a bigger antenna may help. But probably the best thing you could do is put the antenna on the roof.

Good Question--they just changed frequencies a few months ago, actually...It's WDSU in New Orleans.

It could make it better or worse, depending on the lengths of the wire and where you put it.

What is the frequency of the channel you are trying to get? Is is VHF-Hi or UHF?

Also, a bigger antenna may help. But probably the best thing you could do is put the antenna on the roof.

They came out twice already....and I kinda feel like this is the best i'm going to get out of them. The first guy needed to call his boss and it took an hour for them to finally get it working. It shouldn't be that way....but...yeah. That will be my last resort.

I feel stupid asking this, but i'm also genuinely intrigued: I have a bunch of stainless wire, and some metal mesh (all from other projects still lying around) If I went up there and wove the mesh to the antenna with the wire I have, would that (arguably) improve reception by "extending" the antenna?

It's well aware its primitive but I vaguely remember using aluminum foil as a kid and i recall helped....so I can't help but wonder...?

Whaddya think?
OR...could I just get a second antenna, and using both antennas and the splitter attached, broaden my reception that way?

As well, In rough weather I often lose signal--and it's a common occurrence, so as well my thought is, the "more antenna" I have, the better the signal capture and less it should cut out...no?

I have no idea how this works, but you can't fault me for being creative!

Creativity is great! I've used it many times over the years to get things done. ;) Before making any recommendations on adding/changing your antenna it's probably best if we get a rabbit ears report from you. Could you go here and post back the shareable link they give. Enter exact latitude/longitude for best results. :)

If I understood...here's the link:

Yes, that is the report. :) Looks like most of your stations, the ones in the 138° to 148° direction, would only need a quality directional UHF antenna. This excludes WVLA, WGMB and WLPB which are in the 260° direction. WYES-TV, WAFB and WBRZ-TV would need a VHF-HI capability. Which stations do you definitely want/need to receive?

WDSU (NBC) is the only one that doesn't come in. What so odd is I get the surrounding channels (CBS & FOX) NO problem! And the're in the same lineup, and not far off in frequency.

It's not even so much that "I have to have it!" It's more that I had it just fine before, and now suddenly I don't..and it's the ONE channel, and there should be No reason this is happening. It bugs that this is suddenly happening...so it's like a weird mystery that needs to be solved!

All that said, I often lose/pixelate out various channels (even before) in weather conditions, and I understand that, thats just how it is, but I couldn't help but wonder if a second antenna would boost the signal enough not only to get the station back, but also prevent the loss in those weather conditions?

WDSU (NBC) is the only one that doesn't come in. What so odd is I get the surrounding channels (CBS & FOX) NO problem! And the're in the same lineup, and not far off in frequency.

It's not even so much that "I have to have it!" It's more that I had it just fine before, and now suddenly I don't..and it's the ONE channel, and there should be No reason this is happening. It bugs that this is suddenly happening...so it's like a weird mystery that needs to be solved!

All that said, I often lose/pixelate out various channels (even before) in weather conditions, and I understand that, thats just how it is, but I couldn't help but wonder if a second antenna would boost the signal enough not only to get the station back, but also prevent the loss in those weather conditions?
Definitely understand your frustration. Bad enough if you try something and it doesn't work but much worse when it did work and now it doesn't. What make/model of antenna you are currently using?

Wow....couldn't tell you to save my life....its an older one a friend gave me quite a few years back. Looks a lot like the image attached tho.

What make/model of antenna you are currently using?

Attachments

• HTB1ywocHXXXXXa7XpXXq6xXFXXXW.jpg
    HTB1ywocHXXXXXa7XpXXq6xXFXXXW.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 280
Wow....couldn't tell you to save my life....its an older one a friend gave me quite a few years back. Looks a lot like the image attached tho.
Looks like an old 4 bay antenna. Since that antenna worked for you before the 2nd box was installed it would be nice to not have to invest in anything new. Is there any kind of amplifier, either on the mast or in the house? If not it might be a good idea to try one before changing anything else. If you can bump up the signal before sending it out to the Orby receivers it may solve the problem. Maybe post up a few pics of how things are connected, at the antenna, where they made the changes to run coax out to the two receivers and any splitters/switches/equipment they connected to coax to.

It's all in the attic, actually.

I'l try to get some shots!

Looks like an old 4 bay antenna. Since that antenna worked for you before the 2nd box was installed it would be nice to not have to invest in anything new. Is there any kind of amplifier, either on the mast or in the house? If not it might be a good idea to try one before changing anything else. If you can bump up the signal before sending it out to the Orby receivers it may solve the problem. Maybe post up a few pics of how things are connected, at the antenna, where they made the changes to run coax out to the two receivers and any splitters/switches/equipment they connected to coax to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts