Significantly Viewed section now on D* website

Status
Please reply by conversation.
On another forum, someone said they e-mailed Directv and the reply was 'They hope to provide some SV by the end of the year'.
Try zip code 39645. It's in the Baton Rouge DMA and shows SV from Jackson, MS for Amite County.

I e-mailed the Lafayette, IN station which is a SV station and the only one in that market. (#186 in the Designated Market Area ) Below is the reply. I am in the Indianapolis DMA , Indy is 80 miles away, but lafayette is 25 miles away. It will be real nice when they get around to combining these markets so I can watch my local news again with out switching to OTA.
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, August 20, 2005 8:07 AM
To: cbooker@wlfi.comSubject: WLFI Website Feedback
Has there been any word on channel 18 being added to Dish Network or DirecTVon their local line up?

Reply:

I'm sorry to tell you, no.Carl BookerWLFI Engineering Supervisor765-237-5048

I clicked every city and got this: There are no results for your search at this time.
lot of good that does

rkr0923 said:
I clicked every city and got this: There are no results for your search at this time.
lot of good that does

It wouldn't be there for no reason at all.

There will probably be some in the not too distant future.

Congress passed SHVERA, but it's up to the FCC to implement it without infringing on the broadcasters' rights (they want to protect their advertising territories). The FCC has not finished debating which zipcodes can receive a neighboring (or distant) signal in addition to their local DMA.

I'm equi-distant between (2) of the cities. Local cable carries channels from both, but D* doesn't, and there is no OTA signal from either city. I'd like the FCC to get their thumbs out of their backsides and get something done.

I believe at first, D* will be using what local cable carries to determine significantly viewed.

fkostyn said:
I believe at first, D* will be using what local cable carries to determine significantly viewed.

Before they can "use" any channels, the FCC must permit it. D* has already argued to the FCC that they should be able to show the same channels as local cable. The FCC has not issued a ruling yet.

I interpret D* posting that page as a sign that FCC approval is expected very soon.

This just can't come fast enough for my tastes.

In my house, the race is on, as this would mean that I wouldn't need ESPN Full Court to see University of CONNECTICUT games while living in !@#$!@#!~@#ing CONNECTICUT :)

jpn said:
Before they can "use" any channels, the FCC must permit it. D* has already argued to the FCC that they should be able to show the same channels as local cable. The FCC has not issued a ruling yet.

I interpret D* posting that page as a sign that FCC approval is expected very soon.

Yes they have. Or at least that is what is being reported. This is from DBSForums.

As reported in NewsLinks, the FCC announced in a Public Notice yesterday, August 18, that regulations released March 30, 2005 in Order FCC 05-81, implementing SHVERA Section 202 as quoted above, "received the required approval from OMB on June 14, 2005" and "became effective on August 15, 2005."

As best as I can understand it, the regulation that took effect August 15 requires action to have been taken by August 2, as described above.

Alan Gordon said:
I think it's interesting that DirecTV lists all 210 DMAs on the list.

~Alan

It shouldn't be shocking, though. Remmeber: the announcements about HD-locals said that eventually all 210 DMA's would get HD-locals.

Also, if you're going to do a web page with FAQ, and allow the customer to lookup data (like sig-viewed/neighboring channels), it makes sense to list all available values. Some customers will use it, see "not available yet", and not bother calling the CSR on the phone.

Others will spend days debating its value online :)

jpn said:
It shouldn't be shocking, though. Remmeber: the announcements about HD-locals said that eventually all 210 DMA's would get HD-locals.

Also, if you're going to do a web page with FAQ, and allow the customer to lookup data (like sig-viewed/neighboring channels), it makes sense to list all available values. Some customers will use it, see "not available yet", and not bother calling the CSR on the phone.

Others will spend days debating its value online :)

True! Still, it might also confuse people!

~Alan

hancox said:

In my house, the race is on, as this would mean that I wouldn't need ESPN Full Court to see University of CONNECTICUT games while living in !@#$!@#!~@#ing CONNECTICUT :)

The DMA demarcation lines are not always logical. Same thing with my friend in Ledyard that is closer to Rhode Island but cant get RI stations through sat but cable can. I sure hope they fix this.

Brewer4 said:
The DMA demarcation lines are not always logical. Same thing with my friend in Ledyard that is closer to Rhode Island but cant get RI stations through sat but cable can. I sure hope they fix this.

Yes, but that's somebody in-state who can't get out-of-state signal.

In Fairfield County you can't get the local channels which give the school delays/closures during winter, b/c we only get the NY DMA. We're actually deprived of local news, weather, and emergency information.

Meanwhile just north in Litchfield County, not in the NY DMA, the cable company gives NY & Hartford locals, plus the Yankees', Mets' and Red Sox' RSN's.

Now, I wouldn't watch the Sox, and would only use CT locals for weather & school closures... but it does a good job illustrating how cable has owned our federal gov't, and gotten laws & regulations which give them huge advantages over sat and telco-based products.

This isn't a case of D* being slow. It's a case of the power of the cable lobby and the corruption of our federal gov't.

hancox said:

I know what your talking about. Alot of people where I live won't switch to Satellite because WKYT out of Lexington is not on like it is with cable so we can watch our UK Wildcats. I am in DMA#62 which is Charleston/Huntington WV but I live in Kentucky, so I can't wait to get the Lexington channel.

jpn said:
Meanwhile just north in Litchfield County, not in the NY DMA, the cable company gives NY & Hartford locals, plus the Yankees', Mets' and Red Sox' RSN's.

RSN's are another pile of :shh altogether.

The Litchfield ones probably come because the same cable head-end is servicing some towns on the outer reaches of Fairfield County (Danbury, for example). If this is true, these are NOT signif. viewed, and won't come on DBS.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts