Simple D* HD DVR Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

duckydan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I think this is a simple question but while browsing the forums did not see the answer. I currently have a Dish VIP622 which allows one program to be watched downstairs in HD while another is watched upstairs in SD (or a recording of a previously taped program). Does the D* receiver allow this to be done (Dual output) or no?

(Actually found my answer in another post posted right after mine)

None of the DirecTV DVR's had the TV2 option that allows for completly different viewing on a 2nd set. The only thing you could do is add a composit to RF modulator to the D* box and a RF remote control. That would allow you to use the box for the 2nd TV but both TV1 and TV2 would be viewing the same thing.

IMHO, since D* feels that HDTV is what's going to drive their business growth they don't need a DVR that outputs SD for a 2nd set since if that 2nd set is a HD one why watch SD programming. D* is working on a whole house DVR solution where you can watch programming recorded on one DVR on another set top box via your inhouse ethernet network.

Because I'm looking to switch, I figured I'd stick my DTV hd dvr question in here..

On Direct's HD DVRs, can you record two HD programs at once while watching a previously recorded program like you can on Dish's HD DVRs??

Or even record one HD and one SD or two SD while watching an already recorded program?

Because I'm looking to switch, I figured I'd stick my DTV hd dvr question in here..

On Direct's HD DVRs, can you record two HD programs at once while watching a previously recorded program like you can on Dish's HD DVRs??

Or even record one HD and one SD or two SD while watching an already recorded program?

Yes, you can record up to two programs on the D* DVR's while watching a previously recorded program. It can be a combination of SD, HD or OTA but a max of two recordings at a time. Then only exception to that rule is if you're downloading a DoD program then you can do a total of three, the DoD and two others.

just switched from dish and the 722 to D* and the new black hddvr,the unit is a piece of junk-my wife wants to kill me,but I had to switch.switch ONLY if there are channels you must have that dish does not or will not soon carry,because the 722 is 4,000,000,000 times better.if you like to channel surf forget the D* dvr,youll rip the hair out of your head.

just switched from dish and the 722 to D* and the new black hddvr,the unit is a piece of junk-my wife wants to kill me,but I had to switch.switch ONLY if there are channels you must have that dish does not or will not soon carry,because the 722 is 4,000,000,000 times better.if you like to channel surf forget the D* dvr,youll rip the hair out of your head.

Nice specific critique. Thanks for the helpful input.

Not over exagerated at all......:rolleyes:

Honestly it depends on what you are used to. Both have features that the other doesnt

Of the units I have, friends have or have worked with, this is NOT my typical experience at all.

Me neither. My wife HATED the 622!

hmmm, im talking about the 722 yet you mention the 622.whats the difference between them(and the D*hr21)?-about 50 hours of hd recording time).your' credibility is shot.I challenge anyone who can the prove they had a 722,or 622 for that matter.to honestly say they like the hr21 better to tell my why with a straight face.
the ONLY thing the hr21 does that the 6/722 doesnt is that when watching a recorded show,when you go back to the last channel,it has been recording so you can rewind,but unlike the x22 you you cant swap tuners,buffering 2 shows at once(a surfers dream)but the motorola-ish slow channel changing is the worst.anyone who left the x22 for anything else had different reasons altogether jailbird,so cut the "my wife hated in crap" its disengenuous.

hmmm, im talking about the 722 yet you mention the 622.whats the difference between them(and the D*hr21)?-about 50 hours of hd recording time).your' credibility is shot.I challenge anyone who can the prove they had a 722,or 622 for that matter.to honestly say they like the hr21 better to tell my why with a straight face.
the ONLY thing the hr21 does that the 6/722 doesnt is that when watching a recorded show,when you go back to the last channel,it has been recording so you can rewind,but unlike the x22 you you cant swap tuners,buffering 2 shows at once(a surfers dream)but the motorola-ish slow channel changing is the worst.anyone who left the x22 for anything else had different reasons altogether jailbird,so cut the "my wife hated in crap" its disengenuous.

Cut the crap? I posted about my problem on the 622 bug list. I complained about the problem before and after I canceled my DISH account. Feel free to use the Search function before you call others names!

I never said the HR21 has something that the 622/722 didn't have. (And it does, D* VOD makes E* DISH Online look like crap). Our problem was the 622 had a horrible video stuttering problem that our HR21 doesn't have. Despite paying for DHPP for years, DISH just brushed the problem off until I called to cancel.

So quit being ignorant and calling other people names, when you have no clue what you're talking about. And quit trolling the D* forum if you're such an E* fanboy.

For me at least - the media player alone on the HR21 puts the Directv box streets ahead of the 622.

The on-demand content is a huge bonus.

I also actually prefer the "slide" forward rather than the "skip" forward during the ad breaks (you can see by how much you have missed the start of the show)

This is with around 4-5 hours time with the directv box ... I'm sure if you give me 18 months with this box (the amount of time i had with the dish box) I will like it just as much if not more.

Its certainly a far cry from the "end of the world" scenario's that some people paint when describing the 622 v HR-2x difference.

YOU may prefer the 622 ... some may prefer the HR-20/1 .. for me the jury is still out .. but so far i see plenty of things i like about this box .. and far less that i dislike.

Might want to clean up your post. It reads different from your intent I think.

Also, he isnt the only one who might have overdone his post just a little.....4,000,000,000 times better?

My mother seems to like her HR20 better than her 722. That kind of surprised me but I think she just likes the HD choices better.

I Love my 722 receiver, but it does me little good without more hd content to watch on it. I now have the hr 21 receiver and it does have many flaws compared to my 722 . The worst one is that many times the receiver will not turn on in the morning after being put in standby. But the HD channels I have on DIrectv are very nice to have. Now if DISH ever adds any more hd to even out the comparision I would be glad to stay with DISH for all my hd needs. Although I would miss the video on demand through DIRECTV . They really know how to do vod through the internet. DISH has no clue on this feature through their dishonline feature. Now if DIRECTV could just get their boxes to be as good as the DISH 722 I would be all set. and have the best of both .

The worst one is that many times the receiver will not turn on in the morning after being put in standby.

Mike, call D* and get it replaced, you have a bad unit. Look at Scott's "I'm Sorry" thread about his HR20, thought it was a POS, finally after months called and get it replaced and now very happy.

keep drinking the koolaid guys,even though im a directv subscriber(and was many years ago,before HD when I paid 2 bills,one to USSB for the movie channels and it had no peer and their sd pq kicked butt) this is my last post in the directv forums.btw jailbird I didnt and dont call anyone names,not even yankee fans.but in your defense I did experience the stuttering briefly on locals a few months back,but cleared up.sorry if I offended anyone.this site has been the main contributor to my decisions,others as well.it helps no one to make one sided judgements.the dish forums seem to be more about real life experiences than blind brand loyalty.

the dish forums seem to be more about real life experiences than blind brand loyalty.

That's the funniest thing I've read on the forums for quite awhile! LOL Laughed so hard I damn near fell out of my chair. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)