Simple DVR outside of Monthly Pay

ziggy1222

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
I have Directv; the most basic H25 receiver and a HDMI splitter (1 in 8 out). I want to configure a simple DVR setup where I can record what channel the H25 is playing at a certain future period of time. I live alone and have UHF remotes throughout the house with HDMI cables going to various TV's that lets me control the single H25 receiver in different rooms.

I have several older computers with PCI express slots and was considering a video capture card with an HDMI input. Does anyone have a recommendation for such a card and the software used with it. I presume most software will let you program to record at a future time period.

In the alternative are there any DVR's available that can be used outside of TIVO, Direct or Dish with HDMI quality in and out? (i.e. the DVR won't have tuner in it; just the ability to program a time period to record). I thought about retail surveillance equipment but they may lack the HDMI quality and are designed to be used with a camera input and no audio.

Of course I am trying to due this as cheaply as possible with reasonable HD quality. Thanks.

No ..

There are no ("legal" at least) computer capture cards that will allow recording over HDMI cable, nor any DVRs.

As HDCP copy protection won't allow such a connection, but only to display devices like TVs or their auxiliary equipment (switchers, AVRs, etc.).

You'll have to use a capture card or DVR with analog inputs connected by the AV analog breakout cable to the H25.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses. I didn't know about HDCP copy protection; that explains why there are no DVR's outside of TIVO etc. I have read that several HDMI splitter's remove the HDCP...which I guess wouldn't be considered legal. As far as analog goes can one get near HDMI quality with the composite H25 outputs(720 or 1080?). Sorry for being so ignorant in this.

I have Directv; the most basic H25 receiver and a HDMI splitter (1 in 8 out). I want to configure a simple DVR setup where I can record what channel the H25 is playing at a certain future period of time. I live alone and have UHF remotes throughout the house with HDMI cables going to various TV's that lets me control the single H25 receiver in different rooms.

I have several older computers with PCI express slots and was considering a video capture card with an HDMI input. Does anyone have a recommendation for such a card and the software used with it. I presume most software will let you program to record at a future time period.

In the alternative are there any DVR's available that can be used outside of TIVO, Direct or Dish with HDMI quality in and out? (i.e. the DVR won't have tuner in it; just the ability to program a time period to record). I thought about retail surveillance equipment but they may lack the HDMI quality and are designed to be used with a camera input and no audio.

Of course I am trying to due this as cheaply as possible with reasonable HD quality. Thanks.
Amazon sells plenty of HDMI splitters that will remove HDCP. Haupagge and others sell capture cards/devices with HDMI inputs that will record and display in full hd. Just go to Amazon and read reviews. With a little research, you'll find what you're looking for pretty easily.

Just because Amazon sells them doesn't make them legal. HDMI splitters using forged HDCP keys will eventually have the keys revoked. You wouldn't run into problems with revoked keys if you use a device that never has its firmware updated (like a Blu Ray player you never connect to the internet) but Directv receivers get regular firmware updates and those firmware updates include HDCP key revocation lists. Then your splitter stops working for no apparent reason and you'll need a new one.

Just because Amazon sells them doesn't make them legal. HDMI splitters using forged HDCP keys will eventually have the keys revoked. You wouldn't run into problems with revoked keys if you use a device that never has its firmware updated (like a Blu Ray player you never connect to the internet) but Directv receivers get regular firmware updates and those firmware updates include HDCP key revocation lists. Then your splitter stops working for no apparent reason and you'll need a new one.
Some of those splitters have been sold for years and they still work. So I really wouldn't worry about that. And besides he was going to copy from a stb, not a Blu Ray. As for what is or isn't legal, who cares. Nobody will be knocking on your door for making a home recording that isn't being redistributed.

Reactions: paul1948

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)