Since we always get how bad the PS3 is doing...

Movie downloads will fail. I aint spending money on a download that goes poof, gone forever after a few days when I can own a perfect copy on HD DVD or BD. Its stupid to even try.

Movie downloads will fail. I aint spending money on a download that goes poof, gone forever after a few days when I can own a perfect copy on HD DVD or BD. Its stupid to even try.

I agree!! I did buy Crank on market place but i just couldn't wait. I also bought the Blu Ray and like it much better!

Movie downloads will fail.
I wouldn't bet on it.
In fact, I'd bet the opposite will happen... eventually.
I aint spending money on a download that goes poof, gone forever after a few days when I can own a perfect copy on HD DVD or BD. Its stupid to even try.
I believe the number of people that will prefer this will one day be the same as LP collectors.
If there is one lesson that this "internet time" has taught us, it is "convenience trumpets everything else".
As soon as there is a cheap and reliable 50-100Mbps pipe connecting you to the internet, the fate of optical discs is sealed.

"Tonight's Special! Only this Weekend!! Download and Watch "Matrix Resurrected" only for $0.99!!!" The copy will self-destruct in 24 hours.

And I hope MPAA learned a lesson from RIAA and won't fight its Napster's and embrace downloads instead...

Diogen.

And I hope MPAA learned a lesson from RIAA and won't fight its Napster's and embrace downloads instead...

The MPAA has always been ahead of the RIAA with things like PPV. I still laugh at people that think they will get movies over the clogged Internet. Movie downloads will come from multichannel providers as soon as the studios move the PPV dates to be the same as the DVD.

...I still laugh at people that think they will get movies over the clogged Internet.
...today.
When you compare bandwidth available today with that 10 years ago - it will be more than an order of magnitude jump.
What will prevent this from happening again? Unless the FCC/Congress/Senate/President/Another stupid a$$ gets involved - nothing.

The infrastructure will be in place soon, IMHO.
What I'm not so sure about is whether the IP holders (studios) will find a business model using it. Movie downloads from Microsoft and Sony should help, though.

Diogen.

I wouldn't bet on it.
In fact, I'd bet the opposite will happen... eventually.
I believe the number of people that will prefer this will one day be the same as LP collectors.
If there is one lesson that this "internet time" has taught us, it is "convenience trumpets everything else".
As soon as there is a cheap and reliable 50-100Mbps pipe connecting you to the internet, the fate of optical discs is sealed.

"Tonight's Special! Only this Weekend!! Download and Watch "Matrix Resurrected" only for $0.99!!!" The copy will self-destruct in 24 hours.

Diogen.
The people that do not collect LP's collect CD's or burn mp3's to Cd's. No one is spending money on mp3's that disappear into thin air. No one with half a brain anyway. And the last time I checked HD PPV already existed. This is no different.

The people that do not collect LP's collect CD's or burn mp3's to Cd's. No one is spending money on mp3's that disappear into thin air. No one with half a brain anyway. And the last time I checked HD PPV already existed. This is no different.

Another thing is, what happens if your HDD dies, all the movies stored go poof too, usually companies let you download a movie up to 24-48 hours, after that you have to pay again.
I may be wrong but I bet a lot of people would complain about that.

...No one is spending money on mp3's that disappear into thin air.
Correct.
And mostly because RIAA was stupid enough to kill Napster instead of embracing it (i.e. digital downloads).
Make it cheap and convenient enough - and you'll change your mind. Or your kids will. I think it's a no-brainer.
The only question remains whether MPAA will realize it. There are signs they do...

It won't happen tomorrow, but I believe when Gates said the HD/BD will be the last generation of optical.

The very notion of "having the movie on a shelf in a nice case" is collector's mentality... :)

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)