Since we always get how bad the PS3 is doing...

I find it hard to believe Walmart sold the A2 under cost on their own.

It's a fact. If you checked they website during the Black Friday $98 deal there was a disclaimer that the price in 4 or 5 states (with anti-dumping laws) was something like $185 and some odd cents.

It's a fact. If you checked they website during the Black Friday $98 deal there was a disclaimer that the price in 4 or 5 states (with anti-dumping laws) was something like $185 and some odd cents.

Its a "fact" they sold it that much under their cost, what i dont believe is that they ate the difference at the end of the day.

The three stores in my area had 20+. The one I bought mine at had a pallet of 32.

Yes, I realize they had them in stock that day, but they were (as you said) on pallets. Pallets that were just delivered because they don't normally carry them.

All I'm saying is that if the company didn't normally carry them, what stock are they clearing out? I find it more likely that it was an arranged "special buy." I could be wrong, though... maybe they were carrying them at Sam's Clubs or something.

I think the idea of them being shipped in for the $98 sale is feasible. They were sold under cost but I think Tosh ate it.

Also, the unit I bought was made in Jan 07 :rolleyes:

I guess another validation to your point was there was not ANY on the shelves(no display) the weekend before that and there were not any on display that day. That did not wheel them out until the sale began. Most of the employees did not even know why we were there early.

Wisconsin is one of the states with an anti-dumping law. Friday and Saturday the players were $185. The guy at W-M said it was because of the law. On Sunday they were $98. I don't know what changed to allow then to sell at that price. I was just happy to get one for that.

Edit: I was at W-M on Friday nad they were $185. I wasn't there on Saturday, so I don't know what the price was.

I guess another validation to your point was there was not ANY on the shelves(no display) the weekend before that and there were not any on display that day. That did not wheel them out until the sale began. Most of the employees did not even know why we were there early.

Yep. That was exactly my experience as well.

They probably just didnt want to go through processing a lot of returns when the price dropped the following week and kept them off the shelves.

I think its safe to say no one is doing well in the war right now, except for MAYBE the BD hardware makers like sammy and panny. I THINK they actually make a little money on each player.

No, I read that the only ones making money are the retailers getting kickbacks from the studios who are in turn getting kickbacks from the BDA and the DVD forum.

Philips publicly complained about slow BD standalone sales.

Its a "fact" they sold it that much under their cost, what i dont believe is that they ate the difference at the end of the day.

Somebody ate the loss? The consumer got a great buy and HD-DVD got to extend their lead in standalones in the home for a few more months. Here come the low cost BD players -- lets see if the market changes much?

Somebody ate the loss? The consumer got a great buy and HD-DVD got to extend their lead in standalones in the home for a few more months. Here come the low cost BD players -- lets see if the market changes much?

Well any time that price lowers the demand lowers. Of course this can create a shortage gap. Which may mean higher prices later (after Christmas).

Then the issue for both camps is if the price goes up. Does then sales drop off the map?

People that think that Walmart and other companies are selling 98$ with losing money instead of gaining money, are so wrong, I am crying right now, this was a sale from Toshiba, not merchants, if that was the cause, only Wal-mart would have sold 98$ player and no other company would, maybe other companies would do a price match (If they wanted to lose money), but thats not the cause, so if you think companies that are selling the product that they are losing money, thats not true, its Toshiba that is losing money.

People that think that Walmart and other companies are selling 98$ with losing money instead of gaining money, are so wrong, I am crying right now, this was a sale from Toshiba, not merchants, if that was the cause, only Wal-mart would have sold 98$ player and no other company would, maybe other companies would do a price match (If they wanted to lose money), but thats not the cause, so if you think companies that are selling the product that they are losing money, thats not true, its Toshiba that is losing money.
Ahhh so Sony is paying for all the free movies. How long can they afford to bleed?

Ahhh so Sony is paying for all the free movies. How long can they afford to bleed?

I doubt that will effect them much. Look how they absorbed the exploding battery hit.

Sony,, Just like MS and Toshiba.... Can afford to take many hits this way. It's all about if the stock holders believe in the company still after x amounts of hits. :D

The interesting thing here is that the battle is still for our living rooms. It does not just include BD and HD-DVD but it includes all forms of downloads. I remember when Bill Gates said that M$ was not trying to put PCs out of business. Sony has always been trying to replace the PC. In actuallity they are both trying to become the media center for future entertainment. We are just seeing the baby steps. As the internet becomes faster and codecs like VC-1 and Mpeg4 become more streamlined we will see even more content to download from the internet for our entertainment. All this is kind of exciting and these two formats -BD and HD-DVD are just the begining.

With so much at stake companies are willing to lose 100's of millions of dollars in order to have some stake in the future. These are very big stakes and my guess is neither side is going to back down anytime soon. So low cost players and BOGO's might be the way of the future for the time being and I for one (and my wallet) just keep smiling and buying.

...As the internet becomes faster and codecs like VC-1 and Mpeg4 become more streamlined we will see even more content to download from the internet for our entertainment.
And while at it, don't forget that little "fruit company" (anybody remember Forrest Gump?) called Apple.
They scored more victories in the last "internet" decade than any other "giant", being it CE or software: iPod, iTunes, iPhone, etc.
They seem to know better than anybody else when to step into the ring and start the fight... But dead quiet still...

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts