Sinclair, MGM Partner on New Sci-Fi Diginet

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Sinclair and MGM are partnering on a new diginet that will offer science-fiction programming, said David Amy, COO of Sinclair Broadcast Group, and John Bryan, president of MGM Domestic Television Distribution, on Monday.

The new network, which has yet to be named, will premiere this fall and feature more than 1,500 hours of content provided by MGM. Sinclair will own the multichannel network, which will fall under the purview of co-COO Steve Pruett, while MGM will contribute programming.

The MCN will debut later this year and cover approximately 30% of the country at launch. MGM will contribute such TV series as Stargate, Poltergeist, Outer Limits, Dead Like Me and others.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/distribution/sinclair-mgm-partner-new-sci-fi-diginet/142220

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/86528/mgm-sinclair-to-debut-scifi-diginet

and before someone asks (you know who)...as of RIGHT NOW (today) the only company signed on is Sinclair as they are part owner

I already knew Sinclair because they are in partnership with MGM, read the article off the fb page the teevee guyd . However this will be the biggest blow to cable along with buzzr. Looks like we are covering all the areas of tv now....

They need a bigger partner than Sinclair if they really want it to take off. Tribune?

They need a bigger partner than Sinclair if they really want it to take off. Tribune?
I'm sure they will get more partners. Sinclair has a fair amount of stations. The one issue is in some markets they are close to or at max (for decent picture quality) already. Minneapolis has CW in 1080i and 2 480i subchanels (Get & Grit) which are both Sinclair contracts. Will they add one more?

Or in the real small markets where they already run 2 720p HD stations and a 480i subchannel I doubt they would add it.

Would be nice to have Sci Fi channel here in Albuquerque's TV market.:hungry But I do wish someone would start a fulltime Star Trek sub channel, but wishfull thinking though.:bow

I can see them dropping RTV or keep it and drop the weather loop in Tulsa for this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

RTV has been the biggest target with getting replaced when new diginets launch. Happened in 2012 when Antenna launched on KDCG. Retro went to the 50.3 slot then eventually sent down the river months later. This TV is good but they maybe the next victim of getting replaced. I'll bet you'll lose retro to the new mystery channel.

IT is funny. Tou always want what you do not have. Laff I get at least intermittently from WMAR in Baltimore.

Interesting. This might explain why Sinclair has held off adding any diginets to Pittsburgh's WPMY (22) - while sister station WPGH (53) has two sub-channels - GET and GRIT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)