sirius antenna question

gredneck

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
I got sirius about a week ago, I live in central NH, I periodically get cut outs on the radio. I was wondering if there is an antenna for my car that will give it better reception( i have the antenna that came w/the car kit, audiovox pnp2 receiver)
I have seen a antenna that is used for marine use with a signal booster and I am tempted to get that one.
any suggestions will be appreciated.
thank you

ps
I have checked my connections and they are all fine.

I am going to assume that you have the antenna mounted on the roof of your car and the unit works fine without the trees overhanging. If so and no kinked antenna wire, you may be experiencing the temporary drop outs from the heavily wooded areas of NH. There is another antenna to try but really do not think it will help you that much. A discussion on the new Terk antenna can be found here:

http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9783

A description and features of all Sirius antennas can be found here:

http://sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/CachedPage&c=Page&cid=1065475754264

Make sure the antenna is on the top of the car, and not obstructed by any type of racks, etc. Don't put it on your trunk unless you have a convertable or canvas top.

Also placing the antenna on the drivers side (not the center) of the roof, will increase the line of site and help with drop outs.

A small amount of drop out is normal, however they are normally very few and in between and quite normal.

fromplanetbob said:
Also placing the antenna on the drivers side (not the center) of the roof, will increase the line of site and help with drop outs.

A small amount of drop out is normal, however they are normally very few and in between and quite normal.

I was explaining the mounting the antenna on the driver side(roof) helped my reception to a buddy.

but he looked at me crazy so I didn't mention that in my original post.

last night I had the worst amount of drop out I have experienced since I installed it.( I actually put on the regular radio that comes in with some static)
but I attribute that to the fact it was in my convertible corvette and I had no where to mount the antenna but to lay it on the dash, I am now also searching for an antennna for this car.
I think i am going to try this antenna for my pickup truck :
http://www.shakespeare-marine.com/antennas/galaxy/sra-12.htm

and do a little more searching for the vette.

fromplanetbob said:
Make sure the antenna is on the top of the car, and not obstructed by any type of racks, etc. Don't put it on your trunk unless you have a convertable or canvas top.

Why do you say convertable only is it because of the metal of a hardtop?
I'm going to buy a radio today as you would guess I have a droptop.
fromplanetbob or anyone, please help.

1. the antennas are magnet mount.
2. you should mount the antenna on the highest point on you car.
3. you can't (well there are a 100 reasons not to) mount the antenna on a ragtop.

but there are clip on antennas!

Yes I know that, What I meant was if the metal on hard tops is the problem blocking the signalalso, rather than just the hight.

gunn55 said:
Yes I know that, What I meant was if the metal on hard tops is the problem blocking the signalalso, rather than just the hight.

When you place the antenna on the roof of the car or trunk lid, place it 5 inches away from any glass. The metal surrounding the antenna acts as a dish to enhance the signal to the antenna. This is the purpose of the "rat tail" on the satellite radio antennas.

Peruse this helpful and informaive thread on installing satellite radios.

Installation Tips

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts