HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Sirius' Curious Car Count
By Scott Moritz
Senior Writer

[font=arial, helvetica]10/7/2005 7:01 AM EDT[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica]URL: http://www.thestreet.com/tech/scottmoritz/10246148.html[/font]

Sirius Satellite Radio's (SIRI:Nasdaq) big numbers have a funny new car smell.

Sirius added 359,000 new users in the third quarter, nearly doubling its year-ago increase. At first blush that looks far more impressive than the 48% subscriber growth at rival XM Satellite (XMSR:Nasdaq) .

But it turns out that not all those new Sirius subscribers are actual people.

XM and Sirius both count on arrangements with big automakers like Ford (F:NYSE) and GM (GM:NYSE) to power subscriber gains. But where XM waits until a car buyer activates the service to add to its new-user tally, Sirius sometimes starts counting as soon as a car with a factory-installed radio arrives at the dealership.

So a number of those freshly minted Sirius subscribers could actually be Chrysler Concordes sitting on a dealer's lot somewhere. Observers say that kind of liberal math could be bolstering Sirius' growth -- especially now, as dealers are receiving a new crop of 2006 models.

Sirius' practice means the company can "call it a sub, even if it is sitting under water on a dealer's lot in New Orleans," says one investor who sold Sirius and holds XM.

Satellite radio has gone from a mere cult fascination a few years ago to a hotly contested two-player industry. XM and Sirius are battling head-to-head to capture the largest share of a potentially massive new consumer market.

Delivering growth is paramount. The faster the growth, the wider the doors are open to capital markets for future financing, factory installation deals with big automakers and technology partnerships with leading device makers.

Perhaps most important, routinely raising subscriber growth targets encourages satellite radio investors to tune out the heavy costs and massive losses associated with the business.

So it is a bit disconcerting to some industry observers that XM and Sirius differ in their definitions of subscribers.

Sirius CFO Dave Frear says he recognizes that the two companies have different policies when it comes to counting subscribers, but he downplays the significance.

Frear says Sirius' lot-counting practice doesn't apply to all cars with factory-installed radios. He adds that overall it represents less than 10% of total subscribers.

"There's a distinction without a difference," says Frear.

But an XM representative disagrees.

"It's important for people to understand that we have a different way of counting subscribers," says the XM rep. "We count people who have made an active effort to try the service, not by counting cars on the lots."

Of course, there are no federal guidelines governing how companies count subscribers. And it is not surprising to see companies put the best spin they can on the numbers they tally.

Counting cars, or even nonpaying users on promotional plans as XM does, doesn't just pump up subscriber growth numbers. It can also help spread the cost of acquiring customers -- a huge cost for these cash-burning companies -- across a broader base. To be fair, while XM includes promotional users in its subscriber total, it discloses its number of freeloaders in its quarterly filings.

Beyond growth, Wall Street tends to judge upstarts by subscriber acquisition costs, which reflect the amount of money it takes to reel in a new user. For big-buck bonfires like XM and Sirius, lowering acquisition costs can help soothe the Street.

Sirius finance chief Frear says the analysts he has briefed on the new car issue "have decided that it's a big yawn."

Frear says he counts the car as a subscriber because that's when the car company pays Sirius for the radio subscription. He says Sirius receives the one-year subscription money upfront from the carmaker and defers the revenue by booking it in monthly installments or amortizing it over the life of the service contract. Sirius also books the subscriber acquisition costs upfront.

"It makes sense for us to do it when we have two parts of the transaction together," says Frear. "It's more symmetrical to take in the cash and record the expenses at the same time."

Sean Butson of Legg Mason has been one of the first analysts to highlight the impact of new cars on Sirius' subscriber tallies. Butson says it's necessary for analysts to back out unsold cars from actual subscribers when comparing the two companies' growth rates.

The bigger issue, says Butson, is that if a car goes unsold or if a user doesn't activate the service after the yearlong free trial, they don't immediately come off the subscriber count.

"To show up as a Sirius disconnect, it could be as long as 17 months," says Butson, who has a buy rating on Sirius and XM.

Stretching definitions to fuel Wall Street's growth expectations can help give you an edge in a close race, but some observers say it undercuts a company's credibility.

"It may be legal," says the former Sirius investor, "but at the very least, it is slippery as hell."

Of course if you listen to Howard he says that Sirius already HAS 3 million subscribers. meanwhile aren't they at like 1.8 million subs?? (Edit 2.2?)

I made the choice to go with XM a year ago, and was hesitant because of some of the content Sirius had, but recently I've been getting the feeling I made the right decision, without a doubt. I'd be concerned about the way the company is doing business if I had Sirius.

Gee, the guy with the O&A Avatar is biased towards Xm...=)>

I want to see active numbers for BOTH companies, as they both count new cars as subs, just at different times. I'd like to see proof that Xm only adds subscribed users, but it's hardly the point. There should be two numbers, the total # of people who have subscribed, and an ACTIVE subscriber number accurate as of 10 days ago. Until I see that, I don't care what BS numbers either of them throw out...

Let's face it, O&A have been on satellite for a while now and didn't get much buzz, if any at all. We all know why suddenly satellite is getting a lot of attention. XM didn't just add baseball, it didn't just add nascar, they haven't added anything in the very recent past (correct me if I am wrong on that btw) to warrant this surge in subscribers on par (if not exceeding) that of sirius, which is why I'm wondering if there are hard-sells going on in stores, or just typical dumb consumers who won't realize their mistake until january...

All this aside, Numbers in October 2005 don't mean much. The numbers in, oh let's say, April 2006 will be more interesting, AFTER howard has moved. That's the only way to see if it was a good move for sirius or not. He's not even on yet and sirius is adding subscribers mostly because of him, so so far it's hard to argue that he's not good for sirius. If you're buying it for howard, why would you buy it months ahead of time and activate it?

This doesn't need to be a Howard vs. O&A fight, it should stay a fight about the BS numbers that both companies are putting out to get some media attention.

If its legal to count subs because of the number of radios installed in cars, then hell why not count all the radios sitting on store shelves and in warehouses. (I am being sarcastic)

The only subscribers counted should be the ones who call in with their credit card in hand and activate the service.

Hey, now wait a second. Just because I'm an O&A/XM fan doesn't mean I have any less of a valid point then say "Sirius Rich" does in his posts. So don't knock me for my avatar.

The proof that XM only adds subscribed users is mentioned in the article.
"But an XM representative disagrees.

"It's important for people to understand that we have a different way of counting subscribers," says the XM rep. "We count people who have made an active effort to try the service, not by counting cars on the lots."

Q4 will always be big for "new technology" because of the holidays. People get this stuff all the time for Christmas. (I know that's when I got my XM and got TiVo a few years back too). So I think it's just the basic consumer market driving the numbers.

Plus for Q3, if you factor in the way all the American car companies have been running those "Employee discount" specials over the summer, that has caused a spike in car sales, which also now causes a spike in satellite radio's too, now that they are coming as factory installs. XM has GM, right.?.? I'm sure there were a lot of GMs sold during the employee discount period.

So I don't think you can pin the recent spike all to Howard (as he would love to have everyone believe, and I'm SURE he's telling everyone that. Him and his enormous ego.) :rolleyes:
I'm not saying he's not good for Sirius either. No one can deny that he WILL have a lot to do with their numbers, and be good for them. What concerns me about Sirius is they are just hemorraging cash. They have to pay Howard, Martha, NFL, Nascar, NBA, etc, etc. They really do have a lot of decent content, but can they afford it.?.? It's not like XM didn't want any of them either. It's just that XM didn't want to pay what Sirius offered, and maybe that's because XM wanted to spend the money in other arenas (like technology).

And I don't blame anyone for going to the highest bidder either. I mean who can blame 'Hoo Hoo' Howie for signing a 500 million dollar deal. He cashed in. Is he worth that much. Today, no. Back in the late 80's early 90's heck yeah he'd be worth it.

Sirius focused more on content then they do technology and they were way behind XM on the whole auto factory install market thing. So by ignoring those 2 things they are behind in the game, and it may be too late to catch up or pass them.

And don't think I'm a Stern hater. I've just "seen the light" with him. I listened to him for 15 years, been to book signings, met him on another occassion, I was a "Big fan, big fan" for many years. I just get tired of him being a Spin Doctor, and having an ego the size of Texas.

Purogamer said:
Gee, the guy with the O&A Avatar is biased towards Xm...=)>

I want to see active numbers for BOTH companies, as they both count new cars as subs, just at different times. I'd like to see proof that Xm only adds subscribed users, but it's hardly the point. There should be two numbers, the total # of people who have subscribed, and an ACTIVE subscriber number accurate as of 10 days ago. Until I see that, I don't care what BS numbers either of them throw out...

Let's face it, O&A have been on satellite for a while now and didn't get much buzz, if any at all. We all know why suddenly satellite is getting a lot of attention. XM didn't just add baseball, it didn't just add nascar, they haven't added anything in the very recent past (correct me if I am wrong on that btw) to warrant this surge in subscribers on par (if not exceeding) that of sirius, which is why I'm wondering if there are hard-sells going on in stores, or just typical dumb consumers who won't realize their mistake until january...

All this aside, Numbers in October 2005 don't mean much. The numbers in, oh let's say, April 2006 will be more interesting, AFTER howard has moved. That's the only way to see if it was a good move for sirius or not. He's not even on yet and sirius is adding subscribers mostly because of him, so so far it's hard to argue that he's not good for sirius. If you're buying it for howard, why would you buy it months ahead of time and activate it?

This doesn't need to be a Howard vs. O&A fight, it should stay a fight about the BS numbers that both companies are putting out to get some media attention.

Both Stern and O&A can be incredibly funny shows, and they both can be incredibly boring at times. This is why they don't need to be dragged into the battle right now, it's not about them...

I think we're assuming XM is a saintly company who's not doing anything fishy and that's not realistic. I want to see ACTIVE subscriber numbers. Someone buys a GM, has xm for a month and cancels it, I want to see the numbers reflect that. Same with sirius. I wish they'd have merged frankly but that's not the point. I feel both companies numbers are high and would like accuracy from BOTH of them. Next thing you know FM will start broadcasting that they've got 500million subscribers...

Scott Greczkowski said:
The only subscribers counted should be the ones who call in with their credit card in hand and activate the service.

I agree, the only subscribers that should be counted by either company are the ones actually paying for the service, not promotional subscribers. Take me for instance, I have a promotional XM sub that the promotional period ran out, still activated and I have not paid XM nor have they asked me to. I am counted as a XM subscriber. Both these companies count subscribers that are favorable to the press corps and investment communities.

How does DISH, DTV, Sprint, Cingular....etc count subscribers?

If you read on through the article, the CFO for Sirius said they count the cars because that's when the company in the contract pre-pays for the service.

If I was an investor I'd be more worried about the (subscriber=money coming in) verses (subscriber=listener).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)