Sirius/XM Merger

I have Sirius and don't know what dropouts are. Sounds like you had some faulty equipment or a fudged installation.

If you live in the NorthEast, you know about Sirius dropouts.

XM uses geo satellites, covering the US.

Sirius uses satellites going in figure 8's. And pretty low during some of it's arc in the Northeast.

Although XM is also low in the sky in my area, it just comes in most of the time, while I can hear Sirius drop out for a few seconds at a time, parked sometimes.

I have both systems. I like XM's content better.

I assume they will take channels from both services and merge into one using XM technology.

Yep, for whatever reason they have carefully worded the announcements/press info to not say the exact words; BUT XM is really being absorbed/taken over by Sirius (according to the released info & mgmt structure, assuming they get past all the approval hurdles). This is really not rumor anymore as XM has the same info posted in their business news.

Actually what has been announced indicates a blend. An XM chairman and a Sirius CEO. I would not assume much of anything from that about where they will go.

My assumption is it will be exactly the same, but a much easier transition. What ever the new merged company will be, and whatever the new channel lineups will be, both provides will be provided with whatever new hardware is needed (if any) and then they will update their EPGs to reflect any changes.

is this the only thread where people are talking about the merger? It appears the official announcement thread was closed. Kind of odd to close that one and leave a possibility thread open imo or is there another official thread and it slipped off the 1st page?

I get dropouts on sirius here in Indiana and my XM is pretty stable. With the Wi-Fi sirius does it clear up a lot of the breakups? I have Wi-Fi pretty much EVERYWHERE.

Maybe they were merged, which was the smart thing to do seeing that all the chatter & info is already here; makes it much easier to keep up with. Maybe they will change the title of this one. There is also this thread : http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=90088

EDIT: I see the one you are talking about, it is still out there on its own; everybody left it and continued here for continuity's sake I bet.

Maybe they were merged, which was the smart thing to do seeing that all the chatter & info is already here; makes it much easier to keep up with. Maybe they will change the title of this one. There is also this thread : http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=90088

EDIT: I see the one you are talking about, it is still out there on its own; everybody left it and continued here for continuity's sake I bet.

It was just confusing I figured beings it was the official announcement that thread would be the one to continue but saw it was closed... I wanna keep up with this merger no doubt :)

Mel Karmazan is on with Howard Stern right now, and he is saying that the exisiting radios will stay current, and the content will be shared between the systems. He also said that rates will not go up!

Basically, the "good stuff" from each service will be available on the other service as well!

So I the skyfi 2 will be able to get both the sirius and xm channels.What I'm wondering is since Sirius and Xm is using their own satellites like now after the merger will my car xm antenna be able to pick up sirius channels?

I think they are saying they will eliminate the overly redundant channels from each service and share the remaining signals with each other; on their own separate satellites and devices ; for the time being.

The sports alone will tax nandwidtha bit---especially when baseball, hockey and basketballa re all in season.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)