SI's top 100 players right now....

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
...good listing of who Joe Posnanski of Sports Illustrated thinks are the best player right now in the Majors.

So I listed the top 10:

A few other quick thoughts:

1. The list is based on everyone being healthy at the start. But I did try to take into consideration players who might not STAY healthy. In other words, Jose Reyes is healthy for the draft, but you still have to consider that he's coming off a hamstring injury and his speed is his greatest skill.

2. I also took into consideration a player's defensive position. There are a lot of good hitting first basemen, not so many good shortstops or catchers. Jason Bartlett being a good defensive shortstop puts him higher on the list than, say, Jason Bay, who is a corner outfielder.

3. This list is not finished. That's because this list could NEVER be finished. If you gave me this list right now, there is absolutely no doubt I would make 23 changes, slide players up and down, add a couple of players, take away a couple of players. And then if you gave me the list 10 minutes later, I would make 23 MORE changes. No, this list can never be finished. But, eventually, it has to be published.

I better send this in to my editor before I change it again. But I will say I do feel good about my first choice -- I didn't change that one through the entire process.

1. Albert Pujols, 1B, Cardinals
"Every hitter is human," says pitcher Zack Greinke (No. 4). "Except Pujols."

2. Joe Mauer, C, Twins
Could win his third batting title this year ... no other American League catcher in history has won even one.

3. Hanley Ramirez, SS, Marlins
Advanced stats suggest he's better defensively than people think. Offensively, he leads the league in hitting and might have another 30-30 season.

4. Zack Greinke, SP, Royals
Throws four plus pitches, all for strikes, leads the league with a 2.08 ERA, and has won 10 games for a team that has scored the fewest runs in the AL.

5. Chase Utley, 2B, Phillies
Crushes the ball, plays outstanding defense and, just as a fun side note, has led the league in hit-by-pitch three years running.

6. Alex Rodriguez, 3B, Yankees
Disastrous first half splattered with injuries, rumors and a low batting average ... and the guy STILL has a 145 OPS+, good for seventh in the AL.

7. Tim Lincecum, SP, Giants
The Freak is pitching even better this year (10-2, 2.27 ERA, league-leading 159 K's) than last year, when he won the Cy Young.

8. Dan Haren, SP, Diamondbacks
League is hitting .187 against him and he has a strikeout-to-walk ratio of 137-18. Baseball hasn't seen anything like that since the heyday of Pedro.

9. Johan Santana, SP, Mets
He was 2-4 with a 6.19 ERA in six June starts and people screamed that he was done. But Santana is a demon in the second half ... and sure enough he has not allowed a run in his last two starts.

10. Roy Halladay, SP, Blue Jays
Not sure where he will be pitching ... but he will dominate. A handful of people in the world can throw 93-mph fastballs that sink. A handful of people can pitch with pinpoint control. One man can do both.

Albert Pujols, Joe Mauer, Hanley Ramirez lead Top 100 player list - Joe Posnanski - SI.com

Pujols is def the best player right now.. surprised that AFRAUD made the top 10.

Pujols is def the best player right now.. surprised that AFRAUD made the top 10.

Not me....think about it...with all the injuries, all the steroid distractions...he is STILL one of the top players in ALL of baseball! I read AND overheard somewhere that since A-Rod came back, no one has more HRs and RBIs in the American League. And it shows, LOOK who is in 1st place in the AL East...

They have Joey Votto ranked 79 and Adam Dunn ranked 70? No way. Votto is a better all around player and at 79 is well under ranked in my opinion. He should at least be in the top 50.

IF Hanley Ramirez had SOMEONE to protect him in the line-up....he would have even better numbers in my opinion.

If I were starting a team tomorrow, Hanley or Joe Mauer would be where I started.

Don't get me wrong, Pujols is a GREAT!!!!! player, but give me a stud shortstop and/or catcher any day!

If I were starting a team tomorrow, Hanley or Joe Mauer would be where I started.

Don't get me wrong, Pujols is a GREAT!!!!! player, but give me a stud shortstop and/or catcher any day!

:up:up Right now, Mauer and Hanley are my 2 favorite players...behind Pudge Rodriguez of course..!:D

IF Hanley Ramirez had SOMEONE to protect him in the line-up....he would have even better numbers in my opinion.

Had Migeal Cabrera had someone in the lineup to hit behind him, his numbers would also be much better.
Hopefully with Carlos Guillen back, he can be the difference and Cabrera will start seeing pitches again.

On a side note, I found this interersting:

38. Grady Sizemore, CF, Indians
He had a miserable, injury-riddled first half -- it seems impossible to believe he's hitting .237 -- but I'd still take him high and take my chances. Power, speed, defense, the whole package.

39. Curtis Granderson, CF, Tigers
For the last couple of years, a fun argument has been who is better -- Granderson or Sizemore. The argument is there again this year, but it's not as fun. Granderson is hitting just .254, though he does have 19 home runs and 16 steals.

These two stud center fielders will be linked together forever ....

He says Sizemore had an injury filled first half, which he did, and is hitting only .237, but has the whole package !

Then says about Granderson, the argument has begun again about these two ... and that it's NOT as fun ... because Granderson is only hitting .254 ... :confused:

Isn't Granderson hitting some 17 points better ?
Why is he bashing CG ?

Considering Cabrera has nobody hitting behond him, his numbers are still pretty good..18th best? I think not!!!

Cabrera's number will improve shortly if Guillen stays hot, I shouldn't say he's hot seeing he's only been back for a few days, but it's good to see him hitting and coming thru in the clutch, thats something the team has missed for quite some time now ..... Clutch Hitting :)

Had Migeal Cabrera had someone in the lineup to hit behind him, his numbers would also be much better.
Hopefully with Carlos Guillen back, he can be the difference and Cabrera will start seeing pitches again.

On a side note, I found this interersting:

38. Grady Sizemore, CF, Indians
He had a miserable, injury-riddled first half -- it seems impossible to believe he's hitting .237 -- but I'd still take him high and take my chances. Power, speed, defense, the whole package.

39. Curtis Granderson, CF, Tigers
For the last couple of years, a fun argument has been who is better -- Granderson or Sizemore. The argument is there again this year, but it's not as fun. Granderson is hitting just .254, though he does have 19 home runs and 16 steals.

These two stud center fielders will be linked together forever ....

He says Sizemore had an injury filled first half, which he did, and is hitting only .237, but has the whole package !

Then says about Granderson, the argument has begun again about these two ... and that it's NOT as fun ... because Granderson is only hitting .254 ... :confused:

Isn't Granderson hitting some 17 points better ?
Why is he bashing CG ?

Because Grady was injured earlier this year. Their can be an argument that his offensive numbers have suffered because he hasn't been full strength. Granderson can't make the same claim.

I don't think Granderson is claining anything. Just some idiot writer for a dying sports mag..

All the writer said is Granderson is hitting .254. Is that what you consider bashing? It's fact.

The writer isn't claiming anything. HD brought up Granderson not being able to make the same claim, not the writer.

Sandra

All the writer said is Granderson is hitting .254. Is that what you consider bashing? It's fact.

The writer isn't claiming anything. HD brought up Granderson not being able to make the same claim, not the writer.

Sandra

Not sure what the hell your talking about..When did I say he bashed anyone?

Get your facts straight before you comment on my post..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)