Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
SKY ANGEL LAUNCHES GOSPEL MUSIC CHANNEL

NAPLES, FL & ATLANTA, GA – July 24, 2007 – Dominion Video Satellite
Inc., owner and operator of Sky Angel, a nationwide Christian and
family-oriented television service, and Gospel Music Channel, the
nation’s first and only 24-hour music television channel devoted to
all styles of gospel music, today announced the launch of Gospel
Music Channel (GMC) on Sky Angel beginning August 1.

Gospel Music Channel will be available through Sky Angel’s existing
satellite service and will ultimately become part of the improved
programming capabilities offered through IPTV – Internet Protocol
Television. The company recently announced plans for major
improvements to the way it delivers its Sky Angel multi-channel
programming service. IPTV combines traditional television with
broadband Internet services and allows programs and channels, such as
Gospel Music Channel, to be viewed on conventional TVs, personal
computers and handheld instruments. Viewer benefits include enhanced
programming, additional channels, Video on Demand and more
programming package choices for individual subscribers.

“Gospel Music Channel introduces an exciting new element to our
programming line-up,” said Rob Johnson, chief executive officer of
Sky Angel. “We share the same passion for delivering family-friendly
programming and we’re glad to have them on board.”

Prominent cable industry executives Charles Humbard and Brad Siegel
launched the Atlanta-based Gospel Music Channel in 2004. With a
mission to entertain, uplift and inspire, its world-premiere
programming includes artist biographies, music specials, concerts and
hosted music video blocks dedicated to all styles of gospel music.

“Our values in faith and family are a perfect fit with the Sky Angel
programming,” said Gospel Music Channel Founder and President Charles
Humbard. “We’re looking forward to our partnership and the ability to
bring inspirational Christian/Gospel music of all styles to new and
existing viewers throughout the country.”

Sky Angel currently delivers over 30 television and radio channels to
customers across the United States using direct broadcast satellite
and reaches consumers in homes, churches, prisons, shelters,
hospitals and nursing homes. Programming includes family movies;
classic sitcoms; Christian shows for kids and teens; biblical
teaching and inspirational programs; home life, health and talk
shows; documentaries and educational programs; special events,
conferences and concerts; Christian music videos; and more.

About Gospel Music Channel
Gospel Music Channel embraces an audience that crosses cultures and
captures generations delivering a fan base so large and passionate it
deserves its own network. The Sky Angel launch closely follows a
series of other major distribution announcements made by the network
over the past several months. Gospel Music Channel has become one of
the fastest growing networks in television. GMC also recently ranked
as the #1 emerging or mid-size network in the new annual survey of
cable operators. The channel also ranked #1 in “audience
attentiveness to advertising,” #1 in “feeling comfortable viewing
with family” and #1 in “emotional connection with their audience” in
a recent major advertising industry research report. Another new
research study found that GMC viewers are among the most influential
in all of television. More information is available at
Gospel Music Channel™ - Rock, Pop, Country, Soul.

About Sky Angel
Sky Angel® is a Christian-owned multi-channel provider of faith-based
and family-friendly TV and radio programming, delivering the widest
variety of Christian-based channels to the TV, plus news and family
channels. Serving homes, churches and more throughout the contiguous
48 United States, certain U.S. territories and Canada, Sky Angel can
be added to an existing television service or received exclusively.
More information is available at Sky Angel: Christian Family-Friendly Television (TV) and Radio or (800) 759-2643
(800-SKY-ANGEL).

My understanding is that on August 1, Spirit will be moved back to KTV and the new channel will be on 9717.
The other night on Spirit, there was a message that said they were moving back to KTV and will only be shown after 11:00 p.m. (Eastern?) time.

Yikes. Nothing like ticking off Spirit, which is I am sure a major pull for them. They might keep playing with Spirit's broadcasting times and channels just too long and we may see them coming over to Glorystar.

At least if I was Spirit, I would be quite upset that I keep getting thrown into the basement of the broadcasting nightmare.

Spirit Communications has (at times) had 3 full time channels on SA*. RadioU, TVU, and Spirit. I feel they will continue to have a good relationship with SA*, and all 3 will be full time on IPTV.

At the same time, I am interested to see the Gospel Music Channel, but I admit having it replace Spirit was not quite what I had envisioned.

Spirit Communications has (at times) had 3 full time channels on SA*. RadioU, TVU, and Spirit. I feel they will continue to have a good relationship with SA*, and all 3 will be full time on IPTV.

At the same time, I am interested to see the Gospel Music Channel, but I admit having it replace Spirit was not quite what I had envisioned.

TVU and Spirit may not exist today if it wasn't for Sky Angel as SA is where they got their start.

I don't think that Glorystar is the prize either as very few will purchase a system.

Jeff

TVU and Spirit may not exist today if it wasn't for Sky Angel as SA is where they got their start.

I don't think that Glorystar is the prize either as very few will purchase a system.

Jeff

Prize enough that several people from this forum, myself included, have either bought the system or plan on it.

And how can Spirit be a positive venture if they do not even know what channel they will be on day to day. Not to mention I don't know about you, but I wouldn't care to stay up until 11:00PM so I can watch a station from 11:00PM until 6:00AM (the bulk of people work day time hours and need to sleep).

According to a previous poster (the way I understand it), Spirit was caught off guard by the switch yet again.

Makes no difference one way or the other to me I guess.

For Spirit's sake, I hope it works out. It's not a bad channel.

Jeff

huh? There are lots of people with a Glorystar system and they don't even know it probably.

Glorystar is a group of channels on 2 satellites (G25 at 97W and AMC4 at 101W). They have a neat little package that they offer to churches etc. But the channels are free to air so anybody with a FTA system can view it. I can see all the Glorystar channels on my system.

What makes the Glorystar system different is its preprogrammed with the channels and they can do a channel update to the box via the satellite (instead of scanning it yourself)

You know what I mean; very few Christians and churches are going to purchase FTA equipment to receive "Christian" television. It's not in high demand, even if it is "free". I know from experience.

Jeff

more than you think

More people than you think may buy a glorystar system. They need to advertise and let people without internet know they are out there! so far most of the advertising seems to focus on the Adventist package. If they made a printable flyer I would gladly download it and hang it all over, pass it out etc. they should advertise in Christian magazines but also main stream publications, possibly readers digest? another possibility would be homeschool conventions. the market is there if they can just reach it!

Christians in rural areas bought sky angel because they can not get network tv, cable, internet etc. Those people will buy glorystar if they can be made aware of it. Either way you either have to buy new sky angel IPTV equipment or buy glorystar. skyangel seems to making its last stand so why not go with the new guys? Even if glorystar stopped their packges, updating etc its my understanding that the boxes would still work as FTA . Therefore there is no risk to buying glorystar but a BIG risk giving sky angle any additional $. sky angel equip will be useless if they don't make a go of IPTV

as to sky angel switching yet again, it makes it APPEAR that we have more stations than we actually do as they will still list ktv and spirit separately and show a "new channel" with gospel music tv. I think the whole reason they gave spirit back its own slot was to add channels while they were supposedly removing the "special 4". As far as I am aware everyone is still receiving them , even if they don't want them, paid for or not......

I do have to wonder why yet again (3x recently) sky angel happens to have a press announcement without notifying its subscribers....... Is this more of an advertising ploy to keep their name in the paper? How many people reading the naples paper realy care if SA adds a channel?

Last edited:
It's interesting to see Spirit kicked around like it is... Specially since Spirit was Skyangel and Spirit communcations answer to Praise TV going away a few years ago.

GMC is a good addition but I rather have Spirit. GMC seems to be a mix of Everything Gospel where as Spirit focuses on the AC/CHR and TVU Focuses on the Rock/Rap/Metal.

The only thing not really covered by Spirit and TVU would be the Urban Gospel genre that GMC does target.

I personally still rather see Spirit stay on full time. The reasons to keep Skyangel after they go IPTV are slimming... The only channels full time left on there I enjoy are Liberty and TVU (after Spirit goes back to KTV)

Glorystar is getting more popular, if anything by word of mouth. I got a it for my wife and she has spread the word in her church and they are quite interested since it's just $200 and you're done, no monthly fees.

My in-laws and brother in-law were up for the 4th and both were shocked that Sky Angel was going away and both were immediately interested in Glorystar as a replacement. MANY people in their Adventist churches have Sky Angel and they will almost all switch to Glorystar once Sky Angel finally goes dark. Most of these people do not have high speed Internet and certainly aren't going to pay $30-$50 a month for decent broadband plus monthly for Sky Angel on top of it when they can spend $200 and be done with it.

I see a bright future for Glorystar, especially once Sky Angel is done.

As for Gospel MC, my wife really likes the channel on Glorystar and watches it a lot.

I have noticed that a lot of the channels which are part of Glorystar have started advertising Glorystar.

The word is getting out. :)

I financially support Spirit Television. I have mentioned Glorystar to them on a couple of occasions. About a year ago they were not interested. Lasst month I recieved an e-mail from their vice-president asking me how to get in contact with Glorystar. I sent her their website address. It would be interesting to find out if they have been in contact.

Glorystar does advertise which seems to be a little more than SkyAngel was doing. TBN is pushing Glorystar on their website which is good. Getting the word out is what is going to make it successful and attract more channels. A lot of people like the idea of no monthly fees. I have made tracts promoting Glorystar that I leave all over the place.

They need to advertise and let people without internet know they are out there! so far most of the advertising seems to focus on the Adventist package. If they made a printable flyer I would gladly download it and hang it all over, pass it out etc.

VERY good idea. I have forwarded that info over to Glorystar to see if they could make a PDF file that can be downloaded

Way back Sky Angel had Gospel Music Television. GMT has toyed with their own subscription thingy over the years.

GMC will be a new trial for Sky Angel.

More people than you think may buy a glorystar system. They need to advertise and let people without internet know they are out there! so far most of the advertising seems to focus on the Adventist package. If they made a printable flyer I would gladly download it and hang it all over, pass it out etc. they should advertise in Christian magazines but also main stream publications, possibly readers digest? another possibility would be homeschool conventions. the market is there if they can just reach it!

I spoke to the rep at Glorystar and they have a couple documents. One I found on their site and the other is not posted yet.

Here is the PDF file for Glorystar (click on the link to the left)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts