SKY +HD Mexico LNB?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

laggs

Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
texas
Hello, I recently subscribed to SKY +HD here in Texas and everything was great for a few months until suddenly some signals started dropping off and then all of them dropped off and all I get is a searching for satellite signal. I tried readjusting the satellite but I couldn't pick up the signal anymore. I noticed that there was a splice on the coax and that water had seeped in and corroded the center conductor. I replaced the coax and still get no signal. I don't know if the water ruined the lnb or the receiver, but the cheapest test would be to replace the lnb. Which lnb should I use? The current lnb is a one cable lnbf Chaparral brand that states the Freq is 11.7-12.2Ghz, voltage is 11 - 20Vcc, and that the current is 165ma (180ma max). I can't seem to find a direct replacement for it. Also, the receiver is an HD DVR with two tuners but the single output of the lnb gets switched or split by a little removable device at the coax entries to the receiver. Can I use a dual lnb and remove this device so that I can record something while watching something else, or does it not work that way?
Thanks for your help.

That is interesting. I understood that Sky Mexico used Universal type LNBFs (with LO frequencies 9750/10600), but you say that yours is a Standard type (LO 10750).

Did you unplug the power cord when you repaired/replaced the coax? If not, you could have tripped an electronic LNB fuse. Unplug unit for a minute, to reset this. If the center of the F connector on the LNB is not discolored, it most likely did not get any water wicked up to it. Aiming a dish isn't anything like aiming an OTA antenna. Make only small adjustments, and wait a while between movements, to allow the receiver to "lock" the signal. Sorry, not familiar with the equipment so can't comment on removing devices, watching and recording.

Thanks for the replies. The center conductor did get water, it was oxidized and broke off. I've installed this same type of satellite before (except is was the SD version) and yes it is trickier than Direct or Dish but no big deal. My issue is that the few places I had read claimed that the SKY+HD Mexico uses a universal LNBF, but the product itself only claims a range of frequencies between 11.7 and 12.2 GHz. I don't want to go out and buy a universal LNBF and ruin the receiver if it is still working. Will using a universal LNBF ruin my receiver?

Get us pictures of the LNB, the 'splitter' device, and the receiver... so we can read any markings on them.
Maybe we'll recognize the equipment and be better able to help.

Find the web site with documents giving specs in the hardware (pdf?).
Even if it's in Spanish, that's okay, so long as there are pictures and tables of numbers.

Who installed this equipment? Can you ask their advice or for spare parts?
I'm sure we can help you.

Will using a universal LNBF ruin my receiver?

A Universal LNBF type will not damage a receiver. It will either work or not work. I have never seen a Standard type LNBF on a Sky Mexico system. That would be the first for me!

Okay, this is what I have found out so far. The lnb I have is a Stacker LNB. The initial setup menu has the option to choose stacker or universal LNB, would choosing universal LNB let me use the two tuners on this DVR?
thanks.

The stacked LNBF along with the splitter allows both tuners to have access to both polarities using a single cable. You could replace the stacked LNBF with a dual output Universal LNBF, run two lines down from the dish to each tuner input and configure the receiver for an Universal type LNBF.

Personally, I would just replace the stacked output LNBF if you suspect that it is defective.

Here´s a photo of a LNB used by Sky Mexico, I think this is the one described by the OP LNB Sky 2.jpgLNB Sky.jpg

I get them all including HD TPs using an old Fortec universal ku lnb..

Nothing special about the LnB at all.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Seems to be some confusion with the recent posts addressing the original thread. The OP had a system with two SKY STBs fed by a stacked LNBF. It could not have been replaced with a standard LNBF.

pro96, did you lose any signal, when sky switch birds recently?

Not that i can notice.. my parents sub Sky and havent got a single call about LOS

I guess the new bird, did not effect us here in California.

Yupp.. i get all tps on my azbox elite just fine and the ITC HD channel crisp and clean using a universal lnb from wsi.

Are you using a 76cm dish there in LA, Here in Modesto/Fresno area 90cm works fine, 76cm will work but not great!

Yup and old fortec 76cm lol.. ive had that dish for ever

just to give closure to this chat, i did replace the stacked lnb with a universal and everything is working just fine. all i had to do was configure universal instead of stacked in the settings. and of course only one tuner is used

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)