Slight problem activating my new H24

Status
Please reply by conversation.

directv newb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
columbus, oh.
So I got my new H24 to go into my office a couple days ago from solid signal, but my new T.V. just arrived today. So I got everything set up, the T.V., the reciever, the access card, the rg6 to the swm and the box, ect.ect...ect...
So the last thing I needed to do was to activate the box, now I had busted my ass asking questions on this forum/private messaging members, ect.., so I would have NO issues. Well, I went online to do the activation and I kept getting the message, NO ELIGIBLE RECEIVER, ok fine, I called customer service. I get this man on the phone and I very nicely explain that I got a new receiver form solid signal and I just need to activate it. He says, sir we MUST send an install crew to your house to run a new wire from your satellite to your new room. I said, NO I do not need that sir, I have a SWM system and I don't need another wire run or an install crew. He then said, you absolutely do, do you want to set it up?? I said, PLEASE do not touch my account, I am going to hang up now, PLEASE pretend I never even called. He said, OK. I immediately called back and got a nice woman, in 2 minutes I was up and running and my remote was programmed. I told her about the other guy and she said, well you really don't know what his experience level was, and I said thank goodness I did my research or I would have been like, uuuhhhh, yea send out a installer. No, big deal, but I am soooooo thankful I did my homework here first :)

Last edited:
I'm glad you were sensible enough to hang up and call again. That's one of my pet peeves with Directv. The front line csrs are often clueless.

So I got my new H24 to go into my office a couple days ago from solid signal, but my new T.V. just arrived today. So I got everything set up, the T.V., the reciever, the access card, the rg6 to the swm and the box, ect.ect...ect...
So the last thing I needed to do was to activate the box, now I had busted my ass asking questions on this forum/private messaging members, ect.., so I would have NO issues. Well, I went online to do the activation and I kept getting the message, NO ELIGIBLE RECEIVER, ok fine, I called customer service. I get this man on the phone and I very nicely explain that I got a new receiver form solid signal and I just need to activate it. He says, sir we MUST sent an install crew to your house to run a new wire from your satellite to your new room. I said, NO I do not need that sir, I have a SWM system and I don't need another wire run or an install crew. He then said, you absolutely do, do you want to set it up?? I said, PLEASE do not touch my account, I am going to hang up now, PLEASE pretend I never even called. He said, OK. I immediately called back and got a nice woman, in 2 minutes I was up and running and my remote was programmed. I told her about the other guy and she said, well you really don't know what his experience level was, and I said thank goodness I did my research or I would have been like, uuuhhhh, yea send out a installer. No, big deal, but I am soooooo thankful I did my homework here first :)

I had the same issue when I first set mine up at my new home, verified with them that I had a picture on 100, 200 and 500, those are all preview channels, but if your not set up correctly you won't get them.

They said, "You couldn't possibly set this up yourself ..."
I told her, I was ready to go and to turn me on, she eventually gave in and did activate it ... she just couldn't believe an everyday person could do this.

Glad your up and running !

Frontline CSRs have to follow rules set by the company or it will be either a mark down or employment termination. So don't blame CSRs all the time. You are barking on the wrong tree.

Frontline CSRs have to follow rules set by the company or it will be either a mark down or employment termination. So don't blame CSRs all the time. You are barking on the wrong tree.

Too often they simply give the wrong information. I'm not blaming them personally. It's more likely their training that's to blame.

I would venture to say that the internal computer system tells them how many boxes or lines are currently installed under hardware somehow, so adding another normally wouldnt work, not everyone runs their own cable or has enough insight to get all lines in the house activated or turned hot during the initial install.

I do agree that anyone that exerts enough effort and a willingness to learn or ask a few questions could probably end up with a working self install. You can buy installer's professional grade tools online easy enough, so as long as your fittings are quality, you shouldn't have any problems. I just love when a customer asks me for a few extra fittings, my response is usually sure if you have the proper tool to compress them, these arnt twist on or crimp fittings, then show them how one works.

One time did someone actually have the proper tool to compress a fitting in my experience lol.

I would venture to say that the internal computer system tells them how many boxes or lines are currently installed under hardware somehow, so adding another normally wouldnt work, not everyone runs their own cable or has enough insight to get all lines in the house activated or turned hot during the initial install.

I do agree that anyone that exerts enough effort and a willingness to learn or ask a few questions could probably end up with a working self install. You can buy installer's professional grade tools online easy enough, so as long as your fittings are quality, you shouldn't have any problems. I just love when a customer asks me for a few extra fittings, my response is usually sure if you have the proper tool to compress them, these arnt twist on or crimp fittings, then show them how one works.

One time did someone actually have the proper tool to compress a fitting in my experience lol.

A guy I use to work with ran across this issue of giving equipment that the company has that the sub doesn't, the person would ask for a few of whatever it may be, and my buddy would ask for something of his !

A guy I use to work with ran across this issue of giving equipment that the company has that the sub doesn't, the person would ask for a few of whatever it may be, and my buddy would ask for something of his !

thats interesting, aside from cash, im not sure what a sub would have that im interested in lol, but ya never know, i have "picked a few of my sub's houses" got a minibike for 30bucks one time that just needed 2 new tires kuz of dry rot.

thats interesting, aside from cash, im not sure what a sub would have that im interested in lol, but ya never know, i have "picked a few of my sub's houses" got a minibike for 30bucks one time that just needed 2 new tires kuz of dry rot.

Actually, I didn't tell the story quite right ...
He's ask the guy what he did for a living, when he told him, he would ask for something that that guy would have, work wise ... usually that quit people from asking for freebies.

I have occasionally been able to get perfectly good D* SL dishes ... simply by asking the new sub that I was turning phone service on for if they were still using the D* equipment in thier yard ... if they say, no thier using the local cable company, I'd ask them what they wanted for it ... usually nothing.

I only ask about it if it's a Newer set up and I have a pretty good idea they won't be using it.

Btw, I don't ask if it's on a roof .... don't need the headaches ...

I have occasionally been able to get perfectly good D* SL dishes ... simply by asking the new sub that I was turning phone service on for if they were still using the D* equipment in thier yard ... if they say, no thier using the local cable company, I'd ask them what they wanted for it ... usually nothing.

I only ask about it if it's a Newer set up and I have a pretty good idea they won't be using it.

Btw, I don't ask if it's on a roof .... don't need the headaches ...

Yea i usually stick to splitters and power inserters and decas and such, diplexors etc. consumables. Never really took customer dishes (maybe an lnb here or there) but I also still have 1 case of sealed odu kakus.

Yea i usually stick to splitters and power inserters and decas and such, diplexors etc. consumables. Never really took customer dishes (maybe an lnb here or there) but I also still have 1 case of sealed odu kakus.

Unfortunately I never get the PI's from them, they can't find them ...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)