Slimline Conversion

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Ok,
Got everything installed and fired up the receiver.
Now I have an issue.
All sat's that I can get are showing from a 45%-80% signal.
However, when I blind scan, it does not pick up any channels? I have a feeling this is a "operator" issue.
I have tried several scans, but up till now no luck.
Confused. Any suggestions?

Quality is what to watch for.
If you aim at the ground it probably shows 45 Signal. Just means you've attached an LNBF.
Double check that the LNBF settings are correct. Standard - L.O.= 10750.
In the tune up screen, select an active transponder.(add if not in the transponder list)
Aim a bit E or W of where dishpointer.com says the satellite is. Set dish elevation to that indicated.
move dish in small steps across 'the line' wait ~10 seconds or so for the receiver to lock onto the transponder and indicate Quality. then move it again. If Quality isn't indicated. adjust dish up/down ~.5 degree. repeat.
When Quality is achieved, adjust dish ever so slightly to maximize it.
Perform a Blind Scan. enjoy.

Ok folks, Here is an update on my DTV 500 Slimline KU Band FTA conversion-
With a lot of head scratching, and trips up and down the ladder, and a lot of advice from the folks here, the project worked !

My initial problem I believe was a combination of a few things.
First, I had the elevation incorrect. Was supposed to be 44.6 for my location, but I had it set at about 46.
Second, I did not have the LO set correctly on the receiver.
Third, I had the LNB set to far away from the dish. Just loosened the screws and moved it in all most all the way.

So after slapping my forehead a couple of times, readjusted everything.
Result ? I am now bringing in around 200 channels for TV and I think around 60 for radio. You can bring in KU Band FTA sat's off a DTV 500 aka Slimline Dish!

I am getting 75% plus signal strength, but I am only getting around 50% quality on almost all channels.
Needs to be tweaked a bit, but I will do that after the holiday.

It may just be this Satellite ( Galaxy 19, 97w) but one of the things I am a little disappointed with is that about 90% or better of the channels I am bringing in are in either Asian or Middle East language. Which I would not mind so much if this receiver had CC in English. Cannot seem to find it anywhere. Has teletext and subtitles, but cannot seem to get either to work. ( not sure that is the same as CC tho).

Over all, VERY Happy with the result.
I might try pointing at a few other sat's after Thanksgiving.

I will do a review on the equipment soon.

Reactions: abazaba
97W is something of a flamethrower. Will be interested in reading how well you do with some of the other sats. 103W might be a nice one to test.

Congrats! Great results for your first project!

FYI... That receiver does not provide closed captioning. Teletext and subtitles are a different format and are not typically available in North America. Only a few of the 97w channels have CC. The only MPEG 2/4 STB to offer CC decoding is the microHD.

Congrats! Great results for your first project!

FYI... That receiver does not provide closed captioning. Teletext and subtitles are a different format and are not typically available in North America. Only a few of the 97w channels have CC. The only MPEG 2/4 STB to offer CC decoding is the microHD.

Thank you TI !

Glad to hear you got it going!

Where did you place your bracket? Attached it a photo of one I done, you can see where I found the sweet spot to drill the hole to mount the bracket.
Slim21.png

Yes that is snow in the background it has been spiting it all day.

Glad to hear you got it going!

Where did you place your bracket? Attached it a photo of one I done, you can see where I found the sweet spot to drill the hole to mount the bracket.
View attachment 93033

Yes that is snow in the background it has been spiting it all day.

Thanks !!
Actually, I just used the hole that was already there for the DTV SWiM LNB on the left side.
Think I told you I had the rectangular arm without the flared end. WRONG. haha. Same one you have.

Just got back in town. Was spending time with the family for Thanksgiving.
Will post some picks this weekend.

You can keep that white stuff, lol.

I am hoping all here at SatGuys had a safe and happy Holiday !!

Ok everybody,
I said I was going to get some pic's of my Slimline KU Conversion last weekend, but got busy and kinda forgot :rolleyes:.
Anyway, here they are. (See Below )
Just for a reminder, this is a list of the equipment:

DTV Slimline Dish.
X-Squared X2 Premium II HD Satellite receiver.
Titanium Standard PLL KU LNBF. Single Feed.
LNBF Bracket
Radio Shack Satellite finder.

Again, I would like to thank all those who helped me out with this experiment.
The dish is currently pointed at Galaxy19 97W. I am receiving over 200 channels, not including radio.
Enjoy the weekend !

102_0832.JPG102_0831.JPG 102_0835.JPG 102_0836.JPG

Attachments

• 102_0830.JPG
    102_0830.JPG
    321.4 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
Glad to see the pics, and glad it is working for you. You will probably be better off with out that amp. They usually hurt my signal when I've used them, unless the coax was a very long run.

Glad to see the pics, and glad it is working for you. You will probably be better off with out that amp. They usually hurt my signal when I've used them, unless the coax was a very long run.

Glad to post them.
Amp?? You mean the antenna amp that is in the pic with the Receiver?? That was to my OTA Ant. It is Disconnected.
Didn't need it.
Thanks for the tip tho !!

Can you post pics of your signal quality like to see what your levels are? What I use is the 12152 Russia today transponder to test signal quality. If you need just ask me on slimline questions I can help. Talk to you later bud.

Dan Rose

Great job, Kcoutlaw!
You mentioned you may be moving in a few months. If you do, it would be great if you could move to a place where you could put up an 8 or 10 footer for C band. Lots of great viewing with "C." Another thing to think about is the dish on the ground. Nothing worse than going up a ladder 100 times.
Once again, great job.
RT

Can you post pics of your signal quality like to see what your levels are? What I use is the 12152 Russia today transponder to test signal quality. If you need just ask me on slimline questions I can help. Talk to you later bud.

Dan Rose

Hi Dan !
Below is a pic of the signal info on Russia Today.
It is a little low today. We got some snow. Most of my signal readings are 80%+ and quality averages about 50-53% across all received channels.

Think it might need just a little tweaking, but will wait till it is nicer out :)

102_0837.JPG

Very nice setup and thanks for the pictures. Are you receiving Cozi wth the Slimline.
Thanks

Thank you and your welcome !
I am pointed at G19 97W. Don't think COZI is on that sat. At least I don't see it on the channel list.
But I get COZI OTA, so I am good ;)

Great job, Kcoutlaw!
You mentioned you may be moving in a few months. If you do, it would be great if you could move to a place where you could put up an 8 or 10 footer for C band. Lots of great viewing with "C." Another thing to think about is the dish on the ground. Nothing worse than going up a ladder 100 times.
Once again, great job.
RT

Thanks RT !
That is the plan !! Bigger KU band dish, and a 8-10 foot BUD.
ALL on the ground !! LOL.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)