Channel Master 1.83 with AZ/EL mount conversion.

cuda7670

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2019
Fort Lauderdale
I found this mount conversion on Youtube. I cant find any drawings or instructions with the design but its seems pretty self explanatory. I may give it a go since I have a AZ/EL 1.83 SMC Channel Master. Would like to get an actuator on it for Ku and some c-band exploration.

I found this mount conversion on Youtube. I cant find any drawings or instructions with the design but its seems pretty self explanatory. I may give it a go since I have a AZ/EL 1.83 SMC Channel Master. Would like to get an actuator on it for Ku and some c-band exploration.

If you go ahead with it be sure to post up some pics/video. :)

And for 1.8m CM antenna I've started similar project where AJAK Patriot engine is used. That was > 3 years ago.... then I lost interest, so project is not finished yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20170510_214056 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20170510_214056 (Large).jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_20170510_214745 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20170510_214745 (Large).jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 283
Reactions: Tron
It is about 35 kg.
RimaNTSS you seem very familiar with SMC dishes. If I wanted to transport my Channel Master 1.8 SMC dish would it be ok to lay the reflector in the bed of a full size pick up truck (Tundra). I may have to leave about a foot hanging out the side of the bed on one end, tied down of course.

RimaNTSS you seem very familiar with SMC dishes. If I wanted to transport my Channel Master 1.8 SMC dish would it be ok to lay the reflector in the bed of a full size pick up truck (Tundra). I may have to leave about a foot hanging out the side of the bed on one end, tied down of course.

I hauled one 120 miles in a trailer, behind my car. Just tie it down really well. I suspect you could drop that dish from 15' or more, and all you'd do is dent the ground...

Reactions: phlatwound
cuda7670 I do not have pick-up, just a trailer. But, I think, if you lay couple of wooden boards, antenna on top, and strap everything firmly, then should be no problems. I've also seen that some users strapped 1.8m glass dish on the rails on top of the car and succeeded as well.

Reactions: st1 and phlatwound
cuda7670 I do not have pick-up, just a trailer. But, I think, if you lay couple of wooden boards, antenna on top, and strap everything firmly, then should be no problems. I've also seen that some users strapped 1.8m glass dish on the rails on top of the car and succeeded as well.
Ok, fantastic. Thank you and primstar31 very much.

Reactions: primestar31
CM180 goes very well on a trailer, and even on a roof rack.
The CMs are extremely sturdy and will withstand a lot of duress.
Those plastic dishes can be easily transported.
Metal-dishes are more sensistive - they don't have a "form memory" as the plastic dishes do.

Here's a little inspiration for transporting 180cm dishes.
This is a 180cm Aluminum PF dish, perched on top of a normal sized car.
While you may not have the Ford S-max in the US, the roof-bars are pretty much universal. It wil work for a CM as well!
The key thing is to strap the thing right down - no wobble allowed. And when you've gone a mile or two - stop and check - the straps need tightening...

x20200421_163150.jpg

Metal-dishes are more sensistive - they don't have a "form memory" as the plastic dishes do.

While you may not have the Ford S-max in the US, the roof-bars are pretty much universal. It wil work for a CM as well!
The key thing is to strap the thing right down - no wobble allowed. And when you've gone a mile or two - stop and check - the straps need tightening...

View attachment 145966
Thanks st1. Some really good ideas.

View attachment 145966
Well, I got it home ok. It was 'old new stock' still in the box Channel Master 1.8, it fit perfectly in the bed of a full size Tundra and made it home safely. I tied it down with some ratchet straps and made it home 150 miles on the highway, without a scratch. These are durable dishes.

Attachments

• truck bed.JPG
    truck bed.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 278
Hauled an 8-foot offset dish home from FaT AIr’s place few years back. Just set it on top of the 1/2 ton box with some rubber belting to protect the box sides. Lots of tie down straps. Yes you need to check the straps after first 20mi or so.
This is my 127w dish now. Still need to paint a NASA logo on it! ;)

And for 1.8m CM antenna I've started similar project where AJAK Patriot engine is used. That was > 3 years ago.... then I lost interest, so project is not finished yet.
RimaNTSS, I'm curious as to the angle of the 4x2 rectangle tube ( red circle) you used to connect the pivot point to the dish. Is there a particular angle in degree's you used or was it just eyeballed to lower the center of gravity?

Attachments

• RM copy.png
    RM copy.png
    148.9 KB · Views: 274
RimaNTSS, I'm curious as to the angle of the 4x2 rectangle tube ( red circle) you used to connect the pivot point to the dish. Is there a particular angle in degree's you used or was it just eyeballed to lower the center of gravity?

It's probably 22.6 degrees, as that's their standard offset angle.

Is there a particular angle in degree's you used or was it just eyeballed to lower the center of gravity?
More practical is to make this angle more or less same as elevation angle of the due-south satellite. Then, when antenna is pointed south, the tube will be vertical. There is a drawing I've made before cutting the metal. CM120cm_Draw (Large).jpg

Reactions: primestar31