Slimline Dish, Phase 3 LNB, What is the Tilt Setting?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
I am trying to figure out the tilt setting for a slimline dish with a phase 3 lnb. I need to receive 101 and 119. I never had an issue setting up the phase 3 dishes in the past when there was the phase 3 lnb with the phase 3 dish but having some issues with this one. Directv receiver says 60 tilt 36 elevation. Messing with the tilt gets me 101/110 or 110/119 at the same time but I cannot get 101/110/119 at the same time which means my tilt must be off. Need the setting for zip code 256xx. Thanks.

I am trying to figure out the tilt setting for a slimline dish with a phase 3 lnb. I need to receive 101 and 119. I never had an issue setting up the phase 3 dishes in the past when there was the phase 3 lnb with the phase 3 dish but having some issues with this one. Directv receiver says 60 tilt 36 elevation. Messing with the tilt gets me 101/110 or 110/119 at the same time but I cannot get 101/110/119 at the same time which means my tilt must be off. Need the setting for zip code 256xx. Thanks.

Try here:
http://www.dishpointer.com/

The dispointer site only gives me settings for a single lnb dish and no skew/tilt settings unless I am not looking in the right place on there.

I think this is the info you need if I am reading it right:

Name: 101W DIRECTV 4S | DIRECTV 9S | SES 1
Distance: 37638km

Elevation: 41.9°
Azimuth (true): 209.6°
Azimuth (magn.): 216.8°
LNB Skew [?]: 23.0°
Turn clockwise standing behind the dish

The LNB skew is for lnb's without circular polarization. It is not the tilt/skew for the reflector itself. I put up a regular phase 3 reflector and got the signal in on 101/110/119 immediately without issue. I would still like to know the setting for the phase 3 lnb on a slimline dish though as it would give better gain or in case I run into this issue again.

If your swapping parts out from one dish to another, I would not expect any listing to be correct, you'll have to play with it and go from there.

The LNB skew is for lnb's without circular polarization. It is not the tilt/skew for the reflector itself. I put up a regular phase 3 reflector and got the signal in on 101/110/119 immediately without issue. I would still like to know the setting for the phase 3 lnb on a slimline dish though as it would give better gain or in case I run into this issue again.

Good luck, the first time I set up my "camping dish" dish; SL3 LNB on a Phase 3 dish, I had problems as well. I ended up using the settings for the Phase 3 in the dish set-up menu, then re-did the set-up as a Slimeline, If I used the dish settings for a slimline, I was way off.
Just a suggestion, it might be easier to use a SL5 LNB, I notice the 110/119 LNB's are spaced slightly farther apart on the SL5 LNB then on the Phase 3 LNB..... I've never heard of anyone using the mod you describe, but it seems if you can use a SL3 and SL5 LNB on a Phase 3 dish, that it should work the other way around, but I'm not a dish focus expert.

I will have to experiment with this at my house when I get some spare time. When I got two signals at a time 101/110 and 110/119 I got signal strength in the 90's on both. That third one just wouldn't come in with me. I tried peaking at 110 then going to 101 or 119 and adjusting the skew hoping all three would come in but no go. I didn't think it would be that hard. I even tried adjusting the skew little by little but did not change the elevation while doing all this.

Drive around and look for another one in your area. Stop and look at back of dish.;)

Stargazer, why are you using a Phase III lnb with a Slimline? If you are getting only two out of three, it could be a combination of skew and elevation. It's probably because you are combining the Phase III lnb and the Slimline.

I was helping someone get their dish setup and that is all they had at the time.

I was helping someone get their dish setup and that is all they had at the time.
You might try centering (selecting) the 110 for tuning. The Phase III adjustments use the 110 as the center sat...peak the 110 and the 101 and the 119 should come in ........but notice the Phase III dish is wider than the slimlines. What you are attempting may not be possible.

Report success

Joe

You might try centering (selecting) the 110 for tuning. The Phase III adjustments use the 110 as the center sat...peak the 110 and the 101 and the 119 should come in ........but notice the Phase III dish is wider than the slimlines. What you are attempting may not be possible.

Report success

Joe

You've got that backwards. The Slimline is 32.5" wide, the Phase III is 20".

You've got that backwards. The Slimline is 32.5" wide, the Phase III is 20".

I better get out my tape.......we have been using the Phase IIIs to sight in guns for deer season.........I'll measure one before they are all blasted to bits. Nonetheless,...a correctly rigged Slimline should get 110 & 119. I don't get the Phase III LNB deal in this case anyhow. There is not much on those anymore is there?

Joe

Many areas still have sd locals on 119. There are a few other channels there, but not widely viewed ones.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)