Slimline Mount on Brick Chimney

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tds4182

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Kingwood,Texas
Has anyone had any luck getting the installers to mount the slimline dishes directly to a brick chimney?

I currently have a 3 LNB oval dish mounted to my brick chimney with masonry lag bolts and I'd like to upgrade it to one of the new slimline dishes, but I don't want the dish mounted to my newly roofed home which seems to be the preferred method of installing these dishes.

The 3 LNB dish has not moved since it was installed so I'm pretty sure that the slimline dish (with monopoles for bracing) wouldn't move either.

tds,
Your chimney might break. There are antenna straps that will wrap your chimney or you could continue with the masonry bolts (Tapcons etc.) but you are putting a greater load on the whole chimney. The mortar is not as strong when exposed to lifting as will occur in wind conditions.

It is not just the force of the wind but also the release of the force in a cycle that will eventually crack mortar joints.

I don't like spiking roofs either.

Joe

I had mine mounted to a brick chimney using expansion bolts anchored into the brick. Appeared to hold fine.
Don

Don,
Many approaches will work for awhile or forever. The point the installer and his insurance carrier is being asked to pick this exposure to risk for peanuts. If it works, great.

For example, drilling brick works most of the time but sometimes the brick just shatters. And if water gets into a bolt hole and that hole freezes the expansion of the water will break the brick.

And then everyone looks for the installer.

Joe

I have not been following D* much at all lately or the forums for that matter, are the slimline dishes readily available now? I know that's the one I was waiting for and it seems I am still OK to keep my HD-Tivo a little while longer at least until those new sats go up.

No need to rush,

I read that DTV will shift everything to the 101, 95 & 103,,,dropping the 110 & 119.
I bet that will obviate the slimline and bring along yet another dish / LNB swap. IF I am correct both versions of the 5 LNB will be in service looking for out of service satellites.

Just because it is not broke is no reason for not wanting to fix it.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts