Slingbox Pro-HD Upload Speed Minimum

Question.

Is a browser the only way to watch through you Sling on you PC? Is there an APP or software to download to watch it outside of your browser?

Question.

Is a browser the only way to watch through you Sling on you PC? Is there an APP or software to download to watch it outside of your browser?

Yes there is an app for the pc, android, ios, etc. I hate the browser thing.

I have had slingboxes for years. Been watching them on my phone since 2007 or so. Definitely a purchase I have never regretted.

Yes there is an app for the pc, android, ios, etc. I hate the browser thing.

I have had slingboxes for years. Been watching them on my phone since 2007 or so. Definitely a purchase I have never regretted.
Where is it? I cannot find anything on their site or in a search

BTW, You can watch your Sling on FB. Tried it just to see if it works. Don't know why anyone would want to.
FB Sling.png

Last edited:
Hava is the older version of what now is Vulkano and both are made by Monsoon

The HAVA was no longer supported by their phone and tablet APPs so you could not stream to your mobile device unless you have the newer Vulkano

Multiple Devices - Advantage HAVA/Vulkano:
Monsoon's HAVA/Vulkano allows streaming to multiple devices at the same time where Sling can only do one device at time

PQ - Advantage Sling:
Sling does true HD streaming where Monsoon's Vulkano takes the HD signal and converts it to SD to send it over the network or internet. It is then supposed to be upconverted

3G - Sling only
Sling allows for streaming over 3G where Monsoon does not

APP cost - Advantage Monsoon
Sling charges $30 for the APP to stream to a phone or a tablet and charges each one separately. IOW, I have to pay $30 for the iPad APP and another $30 for the iPhone APP. The Vulkano APP is free

Cost of the device - Advantage Monsoon
Vulkano has more options that are much less expensive but also sales a $350 version

Features - Advantage Monsoon
The Vulkano can do much more including accessing on-line/internet channels and youtube and accessing your home media on other devices connected to your home network. The Vulkano high end unit has 500gb of storage for recording programming and you can plug in an external eSata drive. The Vulkano also has HDMI out as well.

Support by other devices - Advantage Sling:
Sling has APPs available on other devices that do not support Vulkano, such as Roku.

UI - Advantage Sling
This is my opinion, but the UI on sling is a lot more user friendly. Plus the Sling is easier to setup

The reason why I went with Sling is because I can watch it over 3G and I cannot do with with Vulkano and I get a true HD picture unlike Vulkano. Plus I plan on getting rid of my other DirecTV receivers eventually and sling my TV to other rooms in my house. I already do that in my den. I have two monitors hooked up to my computer and I can watch my TV on one through my Slingbox and use the other for my computing.

If you have dishnetwork you can use their free apps the interface with any sling adapter.

Roku has Sling too? Haven't tried that one yet, I only tried the Boxee. Works great by the way on my road trip.

Also the Slingbox has an OTA tuner and can scan for OTA channels (you can plug an antenna into it through the Coax input). The Vulkano does not have this feature

digiblur said:
If you have dishnetwork you can use their free apps the interface with any sling adapter.

Roku has Sling too? Haven't tried that one yet, I only tried the Boxee. Works great by the way on my road trip.

Roku dosen't have a Sling app yet. It would sure be nice if the Boxee and Google TV apps supported the Sling Adapter. But considering that its a Dish product thats probably never going to happen. :D

Sent from my iPad 2 using the SatelliteGuys App

Cannot connect at work through the website (which is not blocked) nor the PC APP. Need to figure out how to get around the firewall and smart filter

I was able to set up two different login's for my slingbox, one using a user name, Slingbox ID, and password (states Available under MY SAVED SLINGBOXES), and another using a static IP, Port number, and portfowarding (states internet access under MY SAVED SLINGBOXES). I am able to access my Slingbox on my own network, 3G, and another WiFi using either one. I was not able to connect to it at work using the password option. Tomorrow I will try to static IP and Port option at work to see if that works

Still doesn't work. Won't even find any slingbox. I honestly do not think there is anything that can be done.

Still doesn't work. Won't even find any slingbox. I honestly do not think there is anything that can be done.

It works everywhere else except for work eh?

My work blocks just about anything that has to do with streaming, gaming, etc. Even blocks satelliteguys.us!! I have to use an old copy of the app that doesn't have the sling account garbage. Then I have to use a direct connect IP and I also use a different port number. Works great then.

I talked to our tech and he said their is nothing I can do. He used to Sling at work as well and can no longer find away around it.

My work uses FortiGaurd firewall services and blocks streaming sites. The SlingBox HD worked for me at work except I had no remote function. I could watch if the connected unit was on, but could not turn on/off or any other functions that required the remote. Never did figure that out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts