Slingbox

Status
Please reply by conversation.

elliswr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 26, 2009
Texas
Anyone ever use a slingbox with their fta setup? If so, how was it? Motorized or fixed dish? And would you recommend it?

Hope my answer helps, I don't have a FTA setup.

If it has the codes for your receiver it should work fine. I use mine all the time with Dish, especially to see the local news at my FLorida house when I am in CT., or to see my surveillance cameras there.

If you tell me what receiver you have I will look and see if it is listed in the code list.

A Slingbox with motorized FTA works fine. Just have to be patient with the learning and executing the remote control commands. If you have a working system though, its just like sitting at home. I'm not familiar with the HD quality though, as all of my Slingboxes are of the classic (SD) variety. If you can get yourself a Slingcatcher box (Another great sling product, discontinued in US, but generally available for around $250 on Amazon via the UK) you can watch your Slingbox FTA setup remotely on a TV, and the SC's streaming quality is almost like you're at home if the broadband connection is nice enough.

FTA receivers are generally not supported by the default Slingbox remote codes that come with SlingPlayer. Most popular FTA remotes (code files) can be found on JP-1 related forums or other places on the web. You can also try making your own custom remote control codes (not recommended, but an option if your a techie.)

I will say it's not too fun actually setting up (or resetting) your saved motor positions over Slingbox, but it's possible. You have to have about five times as much patience with doing that. I've been stuck at the office on Saturdays and had to retune the motor to pull in a college game properly.

Hope this helps!

The Slingbox HD has worked great with my Vantage, Coolsat 5000, Azbox, 4DTV 920,922 etc.

If you have a good connection the HD is great! Standard def is good too. Without the slingbox I would probably have a chance to use my satellite stuff once a week!

Unfortunately the Pansat is not in the list. Looks like others have some suggestions for you, hope you get one and get it to work. I don't think you will be sorry you got one when you get it up and running.

Thanks for all the help, maybe Santa will bring me a slingbox, and it works with my box.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)