SlingGuide - Problems

Just got the invite and set it up and have been looking over it. I've had a slingbox for quite some time so I'm used having these type of features from another location... just having to use it via the virtual remote and a 7-8 second delay.

I really like the web interface and could really see this making using the slingbox easier. However as it stands now, I'll stick with using the old Slingplayer.

I hate the fact that OTA is not included. That's about 80% of what I watch as it is. I know it has the locals via sat on there but lots of times I'll set it to record an OTA program in HD for watching at home later. I can't do that here with the OTA and I don't get locals from the sat in HD.

Loading/connecting/whatever it's doing is REALLY slow at times. As in, get up and do something else for a while and come back and see.

Concerning the web-based player itself, I do like that there is less delay using the web version than my stand-alone SlingPlayer (at least on my in-home network) but there are far fewer options and the SlingPlayer just works better overall. For instance, when my DVRs aspect ratio is set to Normal and on an HD program, I recieve a scrunched up 4:3 image. With the SlingPlayer, I can unscrunch it back to 16:9 but I can't with the web version (or I haven't figured out how). Instead, I have to change the aspect ratio on the DVR which cuts off the edges of the picture to keep it from looking 'scrunched'.

I also don't like the fact that when you click on something to watch from your DVR that when it goes to show the program, if your DVR was off to start off with, it doesn't know to turn it on before selecting the program.

I posted my thoughts on the feedback/bug link.

So for IPhone users it's great that there is an application for the beta. Anyone heard if there are plans for a Windows Mobile application? I know there is a Sling Player for Windows Mobile.

It's not a dedicated app; its a web app (ie, webpage designed to look good on an iphone, powered by javascript, I think). What would happen if you navigated there using your own phone? For me, I just go to that dish.sling website and it redirects me to the mobile version.

Okay, I noticed that my OTA channels didn't show up and I'm not surprised. Think about it: How does it know that you get them, let alone can get them ? It doesn't make any sense why recordings don't show up just because they came from OTA. They're on the DVR, list them !

Dish/Sling: You know our market and what OTA channels are available. Provide a 'list' that we have to check to indicate which OTA channels we receive and then add those to this guide.

Okay, I noticed that my OTA channels didn't show up and I'm not surprised. Think about it: How does it know that you get them, let alone can get them ? It doesn't make any sense why recordings don't show up just because they came from OTA. They're on the DVR, list them !

Dish/Sling: You know our market and what OTA channels are available. Provide a 'list' that we have to check to indicate which OTA channels we receive and then add those to this guide.
Did you send that recommendation to them via the Feedback link??

could someone ask if I can beta test with a 612? I got the email to sign up, but right now all i have is 612. is there really that much difference compared to a 622?

It's not a dedicated app; its a web app (ie, webpage designed to look good on an iphone, powered by javascript, I think). What would happen if you navigated there using your own phone? For me, I just go to that dish.sling website and it redirects me to the mobile version.

Both Internet Explorer Mobile and Opera Mini both just give me the regular web page. When you get redirected to the mobile version can you see what the URL is?

Both Internet Explorer Mobile and Opera Mini both just give me the regular web page. When you get redirected to the mobile version can you see what the URL is?

I see that it is redirecting me to <http://dish.sling.com/iphone.php>

Maybe it looks for mobile safari and won't let you in otherwise...

Is there one ? I've only poked around there a little bit and have dug too deep... Will look for it and I will send that idea.

Once you log in, at the very top of the sling guide page, after the Dish logo, is a blue link that says "Feedback." You can make suggestions or tell them about bugs.

I see that it is redirecting me to <http://dish.sling.com/iphone.php>

Maybe it looks for mobile safari and won't let you in otherwise...

Well the link doesn't work with Internet Explorer Mobile but it does work with Opera Mini maybe because Opera Mini is Java based.

You're right, this will be a good test. I don't see them in my grid either....

Well, I'm not sure when they showed up, but they're there now, including FBN-HD. The last time I checked was around 2 or 3 yesterday afternoon.

Only thing that stands out is that the FBN channels don't have a logo yet.

I'm guessing the speed may vary, but channels can be expected to show up within 24 hours?

Well, I'm not sure when they showed up, but they're there now, including FBN-HD. The last time I checked was around 2 or 3 yesterday afternoon.

Only thing that stands out is that the FBN channels don't have a logo yet.

I'm guessing the speed may vary, but channels can be expected to show up within 24 hours?
Probably added to coincide with the press release. Scott G. posted that here yesterday at 3:22 pm.

I got the beta invitation today while at work. I had my wife read me off the needed numbers from the 722 and that all went through fine. If I try to access the receiver though, it just sits at 'Connecting to receiver. Please wait...' anyone else had this and did it eventually connect? My wife said there was a message on the 722 about waiting 15 minutes...but that was a couple of hours ago.

It took retrying for quite a while, but after 6 hours I was finally able to connect.

Is there a way to make the Favorites work like they do in the receiver where the grid only shows just the channels I want it to show? Seems like you either get Everything or if you select a network as a favorite, the grid only sohws that network. I want to filter the grid so it shows the 50 or so channels I care about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)