Please reply by conversation.

polgyver

Creative Tinkerer
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 21, 2010
Toronto
Hi, everybody,
Due to health issues (planned surgery and un-planned heart problems) I was forced to suspend my FTA activity for a few months.
Now, things seem going better, so, we accepted our friends' invitation to their cottage, where I installed - on a tree - small Express - Vu dish.
Transponder 12184 has fairly strong signal, but RT transponder is much weaker.
It makes me wonder, why ? Both programs have polarization H. Any explanation ?
Pictures follow.

Attachments

• IMG_3846.JPG
    IMG_3846.JPG
    265 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_3848.JPG
    IMG_3848.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_3850.JPG
    IMG_3850.JPG
    428.2 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_3851.JPG
    IMG_3851.JPG
    440.7 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_3856.JPG
    IMG_3856.JPG
    307 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_3870.JPG
    IMG_3870.JPG
    284.6 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_3872.JPG
    IMG_3872.JPG
    256.5 KB · Views: 247
Great to have you back polgyver. Sorry to hear about the health problems. I hope you recover quickly.

I'll take a look at those signals here later.

Reactions: polgyver
Hello polgyver glad you are back. I hope all the health issues continue to get better.
I enjoy your projects!

Why not! A neat project, differences in locations in N America prob explain why some tps are stronger than others. Some you might attribute to lnbf skew.

Welcome back!

Not all transponders are run at the same power level. The uplinker establishes a link budget based on the needs of their client (signal up-time, priority, footprint, downlink equipment aperture/efficiency/etc) and target budget. A lower power signal, lower priority, or reduced footprint reduces cost. A more powerful signal reduces the life expectancy of the satellite and the owner charges a higher cost for the bandwidth.

The transponders on 97w KU are typically for multiple services combined into a mux that are uplinked by a third party or the bandwidth is resold by a broker. The actual bandwidth cost may be divided and passed on to the individual services or to create a profit/loss for the uplinker/broker business.

Glad to hear from you Polgyver!
I have used a 24" round BEV dish for FTA on 97w and it worked but somewhat marginal. Some TPs were usable and others would break up too much to watch. Your dish is a smidgen larger.. :)

Good to have you back. This issue will go away as soon as the snow starts to fly. Most likely your friends close up the cottage for the winter. But a larger dish is the solution.

Status
Please reply by conversation.