smaller picture on DVI connection

voombot

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 24, 2004
i switched over to DVI yesterday and i noticed the picture is still dull compared to componet. The sharpness is there and the picture is solid but the colours are some what faded. I adjusted brightness and contrast but i belive DVI has this problem.

I noticied on some channels like EquatorHD the picture is framed with a black box and is smaller on the screen then other channels, has anyone else noticed this?

voombot said:
i switched over to DVI yesterday and i noticed the picture is still dull compared to componet. The sharpness is there and the picture is solid but the colours are some what faded. I adjusted brightness and contrast but i belive DVI has this problem.

I noticied on some channels like EquatorHD the picture is framed with a black box and is smaller on the screen then other channels, has anyone else noticed this?

Unfortunately, DVI is not easy to calibrate since there are no patterns. I used DVI with my connection and I recently switched to component and I miss DVI now.

Regarding the black box: it could be one of the following:

(1) that appears to be more a characteristic of the program than the actual channel.

or

(2) the geometry setting of the TV needs to be adjusted.

Which program were you watching on Equator HD. Is this happening in every single channel?

I have never had a black box with DVI Sean, my biggest issue with DVI is more apparent pixelation and mosquito noise. However I ran through and adjusted all the settings to my DVI port, and with the latest updates to the STB I believe DVI looks better than component due to the sharper picture.

I'm more leaning towards geometry since nothing on Equator has had a black box on it. Also for me, DVI colors are ultra bright with the factory settings, I had to tone it down to get a more accurate picture (it amazes me with HD even with the colors pumped up there is little bleeding it seems not like analog heh)...

If you have a Sammy Dlp and using a DVI connection in which the picture doesn't fill the screen. You need to into the service menu and go to option 8 (I believe) and than choose the function called "DVI adjust" (I believe).

DVI looks incredible on my plasma, colors are great... infact colors on a few channels look a little oversaturated, but it's not too bad. Compared to component: less voice noise, much sharper, little more "3D-look".

I did "home" calibrate all the inputs via calibration DVD (player as DVI + component outputs)...

Have you calibrated the DVI inpit? esp. check your overscan/underscan.

Noticeable improvement with a higher-grade DVI cable

I only noticed the black box effect on the SD channels with DVI. I really hated it. But all my OTA SD channels fill the screen. I have switched to component which does not have this problem. VOOM has told me directly that their is a problem with DVI and they only use component to monitor. I think it is the damn Motorola Box. I would like to go back to DVI if they corrected that problem. NOtice on their High DEF tips they only talk about the component connection and not DVI. Not one word about using DVI