Smart tv with manual channel scan?

Discussion in 'Television Sets and Projectors' started by armadillo_115, Mar 16, 2019.

1. armadillo_115

armadillo_115 Topic Starter SatelliteGuys Pro

I'm looking for a new smart tv approx 43". I use an antenna rotator because my stations are distant and enter from multiple compass directions. I need to be able to manually add missed channels after doing an auto-scan. It seems that most recent tvs only auto-scan.... and forget the previously found signals.Does anyone know of a new smart tv that either remembers previously scanned channels or allows channels to be added manually?

I have and old tuner/convertor but would prefer to have everything work with just the tv.

2. FTA4PA

FTA4PA Satellite Guys Family Lifetime Supporter

Our 55" LG brand smart tv (UJ6200 series) offers both auto and manual channel scan options. Very nice when you want to dx for distant channels but retain your current channel set. One thing I don't like is the apparent 'feature' of removing a channel from the list if the signal drops out for too long. Channels usually come back on their own once the signal returns but occasionally you need to do a manual scan. Not really an issue as much as an annoyance and other than that the set has performed well. I don't believe that LG model is still produced but the next series is sure to be 'new and improved'! :rolleyes: Good luck on your search! :)

armadillo_115 likes this.
  3. Tampa8

Tampa8 I'll Stand Up and Say So Pub Member / Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I think you are going to need to go to stores and look at the actual set up menu or read the manual of each TV you are interested. Most times even online reviews don't mention how channels are scanned in. You may be able to go to the manufacturers site and download the manual too. This problem is nothing new I have never understood why or how the decision makers at these TV companies get this so wrong, something that DISH VIP receivers and TIVO get right.

armadillo_115 and charlesrshell like this.
  4. waylew

waylew SatelliteGuys Pro

Have you tried entering the actual channel,not the virtual channel, on the remote?
    For instance if say 28-1 actually broadcasts on rf 35,enter 35 and see if it scans in.

5. armadillo_115

I'm asking before buying another tv. I tried asking at Walmart.... they looked at me like I had 3 heads.lmao

It would be nice to no longer need the Roku stick and tv tuner box. The cabinet is such clutter.

6. waylew

waylew SatelliteGuys Pro

7. primestar31

primestar31 SatelliteGuys Master

'dillo, I've looked, and trying to find a tv set with an "add a channel" feature without it deleting the previous channels, is amazingly HARD to do. I'm very good at Google searches, and I can't find one as of yet. They do NOT appear to list this sort of thing in "Specs" on the tv pages. You literally have to download the actual tv set manual for each set that you might be interested in, and look through it to find that out.

8. FTA4PA

FTA4PA Satellite Guys Family Lifetime Supporter

And sometimes even that doesn't help. I went to the LG site this morning to see what was currently available. I downloaded the user manual for sets in the SK8000 series and there were no detailed explanations of features in the set like you used to get when I bought my UJ6200 model - just basic operating procedures, quick start guide, etc. And this was under their Premium set recommendations! :confused: Guess you would have to go to dealer, ask for the remote and go through the menus to see what is there. :mad::(

armadillo_115 and primestar31 like this.
  9. primestar31

primestar31 SatelliteGuys Master

You'd think that an "add a channel WITHOUT deleting all present channels FIRST" scan function would be standard in the USA. But no, everybody here apparently has no issues spending thousands of $$$ every year watching pay channels, instead of OTA tv. So Asian tv manufacturers don't seem to know that's needed, if (hardly) anybody here asks or complains about it missing.

armadillo_115 and FTA4PA like this.
  10. armadillo_115

Solved!
    Bought a LG 43UK6300PUE at Best Buy today. It has manual scan in addition to automatic scan. Tuner sensitivity seems very good so far, possibly even excellent. My rotator isn't connected right now so I can't tune in quite all the channels I had before.

Picture so crisp... I ducked when John Wayne shot at the bad guy earlier. lol

Just for future reference: No Roku tvs have manual scan regardless of the brand. All brands use the same format/software. Or so I was told.

This LG has WebOS. Hopefully it will be a sufficient replacement for my Roku. The tv cabinet sure looks much nicer without that rat nest of cables and boxes everywhere.

Special thanks to FTA4PA for suggesting an LG!

Thanks everyone for the assistance!

Jimbo and FTA4PA like this.
  11. armadillo_115

Don't expect much help looking at on-line manuals or asking the sales people in the stores either. I told the 'expert' at Best Buy 4 times before he actually looked in the correct setting! He kept going to the 'Channel Manager' setting and saying: "Nope, no manual scan." Finally I said: "Just humor me and click on Channel Scan." He actually said: "Oh wow! There's a manual scan." lol

The guy wasn't dumb... it's just obvious that no one ever asks about manually adding channels.

12. Jimbo

Jimbo SatelliteGuys Master Lifetime Supporter

You asked at a Walmart ... of course they looked at you like that ...

Go to a Hi End A/V store you might get somewhere.

13. navychop

navychop Member of the Month - July 2014! Pub Member / Supporter Lifetime Supporter

And good luck finding one of THOSE. The last one I know of near me, Myer-Emco, closed years ago. Glad I got my speakers from them before that.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Separate names with a comma.

More...