Smoking more meat

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
You guys have me excited about my first big smoke. Came home from work today and the wife had a 9 pound pork shoulder in the fridge. Now I just have to figure out what day the smoke is going to commence. Figure it might be Friday so I can see the final product coming out on Saturday.

You guys have me excited about my first big smoke. Came home from work today and the wife had a 9 pound pork shoulder in the fridge. Now I just have to figure out what day the smoke is going to commence. Figure it might be Friday so I can see the final product coming out on Saturday.

The first time is so special! ;)

Good luck, it is a great cooking experience.

Tip#1: Do NOT, whatever you do, get impatient and pull it off the smoker before it reaches an internal temp of 190°F. They have the tendency to stagnate at 170°F for a while, but will eventually get over that hump and reach the desired temp. It is not unusual for it to take in upwards of 15 hours plus (at 200-225°F), so be patient and start overnight if possible.

What type of set up do you have Jason?

I made 30# of beef, pork and jalapeno sausage last night. Gonna go on the smoker with some mesquite or hickory today.

What type of set up do you have Jason?

Not nearly as nice as what you guys have but it is a good start. I wanted a Weber but the wife did not want to spend the extra money right now since we just got back from vacation. I figure that this will get me through this year and then I will link about adding to my collection next year if all goes well.

Shop Master Forge Double Door Propane Gas Smoker at Lowes.com

So far on the test smoke and seasoning of the smoker it was able to keep a nice steady temp without much fuss. I really like this since I am just starting out.

Tonight is the night. I woke up early and took the pork out of the brine and put the rub on it. Fired up the smoker and it is now cooking to perfection (hopefully). It is now off to work while the wife watches it today. Cooking at 225 so hopefully it will be ready for dinner tonight sometime around 6:30.

Tonight is the night. I woke up early and took the pork out of the brine and put the rub on it. Fired up the smoker and it is now cooking to perfection (hopefully). It is now off to work while the wife watches it today. Cooking at 225 so hopefully it will be ready for dinner tonight sometime around 6:30.

Got home from work today and the temp of the pork was at 188 and within a minute it was up to 190. :D

All I can say is wow!!! The pork was a melt in your mouth good. I bet I will get better over the time but so far you can't get this type of good eats in any restaurant. Actually it tasted so good just on its own that I was torn on weather to even add any BBQ sauce to my sandwich.

Got home from work today and the temp of the pork was at 188 and within a minute it was up to 190. :D

All I can say is wow!!! The pork was a melt in your mouth good. I bet I will get better over the time but so far you can't get this type of good eats in any restaurant. Actually it tasted so good just on its own that I was torn on weather to even add any BBQ sauce to my sandwich.

PICTURES!

Good looking unit. Pork shoulder abd butts are a great way to break in a new smoker, and the user. It's pretty hard to screw them up. They are pretty forgiving as far as heat goes. I let some butts get to 210 internal just to see how they would be, and they still turned out good. The bark was thicker, but just chopped it up and and added it to the pulled meat. Now, get a nice round roast, and smoke it for sammies. Good stuff there. BTW. If you have the time and about 25-50 bucks. You could build one of these.

Last edited:
Good looking unit. Pork shoulder abd butts are a great way to break in a new smoker, and the user. It's pretty hard to screw them up. They are pretty forgiving as far as heat goes. I let some butts get to 210 internal just to see how they would be, and they still turned out good. The bark was thicker, but just chopped it up and and added it to the pulled meat. Now, get a nice round roast, and smoke it for sammies. Good stuff there. BTW. If you have the time and about 25-50 bucks. You could build one of these.

Damn, that IS a thing of beauty! Well done! You should sell those! I bet people would pay for that, especially considering Brinkman's asking $100 for their crappy smoker.

Today calls for the smoking of 2 5 pound pork loins and 60 ABT's. Should be a fun day. The only problem is that it would be nice to have a second somker.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)