SNY Gone Tomorrow? (It's Gone!)

Tells me Dish is not willing to pay the ransom demands. I would be curious who loses more, Dish with the churn it creates or SNY who now gets $0 from DISH? I would have to agree the Mets are not a good watch right now. Had a hard time just listening to it on the radio yesterday. With Santana and Bay out injured, Beltran on half a wheel and a poor bullpen, adds up to a lot of misery for Mets fans.
It's my opinion that the success (or lack thereof) of a particular team has no bearing on Dish's apparent lack of interest when it comes to RSNs. In the case of the NY market, it's clearly a financially-driven business decision. As I posted earlier, the per subscriber cost of each of the three NY RSNs (YES, SNY, MSG) is +/- $2.50 per month. I think once the decision was made to not carry YES, and those Yankee fans left Dish, Dish looked at the approximate $5.00 combined cost of the other two RSNs and determined that it was not worth that much to carry the other two networks for the NY sports fans that were left.

I think it was in a Newsday article that I saw it stated the Dish only has about 5% of the NY market. If thats the case I guess they are not looking to grow their share and feel that they do not have much to lose.

I think it was in a Newsday article that I saw it stated the Dish only has about 5% of the NY market. If thats the case I guess they are not looking to grow their share and feel that they do not have much to lose.

011 Rank Designated Market Area (DMA) # of TV Households
1 New York 7,515,330

Local TV Market Sizes, DMA Rankings, Nielsen TV Households

hmmmm...375,000 households......they just hand off to the competition.

It wasn't SNY's asking price that was the issue according to reports. It was a decision by Dish not to pay the going rate.

I would say this is how we know. Dish knows where their subs are. (ok, except for moving :) ) Dish made the business decision not to carry YES, then MSG, and now SNY. They know how many current subs this would affect, and how many subs in the affected area is the norm who are new subscribers each year. Probably also take into account turn over in that area. They may also have an idea of approximately what % care about the RSN's.

Now they look at the cost of carrying those RSN's, how it affects all subs, and their profit. I would say their actions tell us that it was cost effective to not carry those RSN's. At the same time, they are probably also saying they just will not, in their opinion, overpay.

Tampa8 said:
I would say this is how we know. Dish knows where their subs are. (ok, except for moving :) ) Dish made the business decision not to carry YES, then MSG, and now SNY. They know how many current subs this would affect, and how many subs in the affected area is the norm who are new subscribers each year. Probably also take into account turn over in that area. They may also have an idea of approximately what % care about the RSN's.

Now they look at the cost of carrying those RSN's, how it affects all subs, and their profit. I would say their actions tell us that it was cost effective to not carry those RSN's. At the same time, they are probably also saying they just will not, in their opinion, overpay.

Dish does not have a big consumer presence in NYC, to difficult to get permission form landlords coops boards etc. On the other hand cable companies like Verizon Time Warner etc. Use a legal president to force there way into your building to pre wire it. Cable is just a much easier choice. Most bars use DTV for the better sports packages

But it's not only the NYC market this affects. SNY is also the RSN for upstate NY, eastern PA, CT, VT, and portions of other states. Because these areas are much less urban, Dish has a bigger share of the market. I'm not saying that those who believe Dish has done cost/profit analysis are wrong (in fact, I think they're right), just that there are lots more than just one DMA involved.

I'm in the Scranton DMA, but within a few miles of the NYC DMA. Not many people have Dish Network. I see mainly DirecTV dishes.

But it's not only the NYC market this affects. SNY is also the RSN for upstate NY, eastern PA, CT, VT, and portions of other states. Because these areas are much less urban, Dish has a bigger share of the market. I'm not saying that those who believe Dish has done cost/profit analysis are wrong (in fact, I think they're right), just that there are lots more than just one DMA involved.
it wasn't a cost profit analysis that included subscribers..the only number that mattered was charlie's bank account..i guess it was cheaper to disconnect NY area customers than to send a tech out to repoint them (and upgrade their equipment) to eastern arc.. he just looked at the gas he could save by having customers mail their equipment back (at their own cost) vs upgrading them on his dime...from a bookkeeping perspective this plan is pure genius from customers perspective it really stinks

edpkp81 said:
No LOS for DirecTV so I'm stuck with DISH. Bummed out! At least we got to see a win on WPIX today.

I have Eastern Arc and now was wondering if I would have this issue as well. I used DishPointer.com and am still unsure; any suggestions.