SNY Gone Tomorrow? (It's Gone!)

it wasn't a cost profit analysis that included subscribers..the only number that mattered was charlie's bank account..i guess it was cheaper to disconnect NY area customers than to send a tech out to repoint them (and upgrade their equipment) to eastern arc.. he just looked at the gas he could save by having customers mail their equipment back (at their own cost) vs upgrading them on his dime...from a bookkeeping perspective this plan is pure genius from customers perspective it really stinks
I agree this is really a bottom line issue, not a customer satisfaction issue. FWIW, I am on the eastern arc and have been for a couple years, it's not an eastern arc issue, either. This particular customer, ETF or not, is very likely switching to Direct.

Hate to say it, but it sure looks like it ain't coming back. I too thought a couple of weeks or so.

Even though I switched back to cable, I waited until today to cancel. I made the call.

I've had Dish since the days of the 4000. I then bought a 5000, the HD module, the first DVR, the 721, the 921, 942 or whatever that thing was, I bought all of their stuff, I can't even remember all of the receivers and DVR's I've purchased. Almost everything they came out with, up to and including the 922.

Well, when I called and told them I was leaving because of SNY, they basically said, to paraphrase a Yankee announcer, ....."See Ya!"

No pleading, no offers, no nothing. I told the guy I was very upset last year when they started charging me $27 for the priviledge of using MY OWNED DVRs, but I stayed. It was only when they dumped SNY that they pushed me over the hump.

The CSR said, "I understand" and "thanks for calling Dish Network."

I was a bit stunned. I'm not sure why, but I really felt strange. You would think they would have tried a bit harded to keep me.

Oh well. I guess I'm "just a cable guy" now.

Anyone want to buy a 922? :D 722?

Even though I switched back to cable, I waited until today to cancel. I made the call.

I've had Dish since the days of the 4000. I then bought a 5000, the HD module, the first DVR, the 721, the 921, 942 or whatever that thing was, I bought all of their stuff, I can't even remember all of the receivers and DVR's I've purchased. Almost everything they came out with, up to and including the 922.

Well, when I called and told them I was leaving because of SNY, they basically said, to paraphrase a Yankee announcer, ....."See Ya!"

No pleading, no offers, no nothing. I told the guy I was very upset last year when they started charging me $27 for the priviledge of using MY OWNED DVRs, but I stayed. It was only when they dumped SNY that they pushed me over the hump.

I was a bit stunned. I'm not sure why, but I really felt strange. You would think they would have tried a bit harded to keep me.

I called up a few months back to bitch about my equipment "loyalty fee" going away and they gave me HD Platinum for free for three months. The three months were up, got an email said they were going away unless I added them back online. I did, and they went away anyway. Call up a CSR to fix, which he does, and say "by the way, what's the word on SNY? He says nothing new.... I complain that we never had YES (could care less), had MSG taken away last year, and now have lost SNY. What RSN are you going to give us to make up for the loss? He disappears and talks to a supervisor. Comes back and says he will issue a $10 month credit for one year and add the MultiSports package which will be charged at the regular rate (oh well... red zone for free... OK), so I am still ahead by three bucks. I still whine a little and he changes the HD Platinum to free for a year as well..... I say OK for now, but want it noted that I want SNY added back or I am considering alternatives such as Fios that are now available in my area.

I have about a $200 a month bill, so they probably threw these at me to keep me in the fold. We'll give it a little time. Since the Mets suck anyway this year, I'll see how it plays out. I've got 4 TB of stored recordings that I don't want to give up on, so I am handcuffed for now.

JonUrban said:

I am in process of cancelling. When I spoke with them yesterday they offered me $120/year back. After telling them it was not about money they said goodbye :)

I agree and understand how you feel

I am in process of cancelling. When I spoke with them yesterday they offered me $120/year back. After telling them it was not about money they said goodbye :)

I agree and understand how you feel

Pretty much the same story here. Offered $10 off per month plus free Cinemax for 3 months. When I said I didn't want that, I wanted SNY they replied that was all they had to offer.

Pretty much the same story here. Offered $10 off per month plus free Cinemax for 3 months. When I said I didn't want that, I wanted SNY they replied that was all they had to offer.
I should call up and see what I could get.:eek: Even though I hate the mets and there about to lose again..... :D

Even though the Mets stink and seem to lose every game they are my team! I have been to a few games in person this year but I do miss being able to watch them on my tv in HD. I've called each week to complain and every time I call I either get money taken off my bill or PPV coupons. It's a hassle to switch companies but I am really at the breaking point!

What's your deal? Are you just a Mets hater? Most that hate the Mets are Yankee fans, are you one of those or do you follow baseball or a sport team at all?
I thought it was obvious I'm a met hater and yes I'm a Yankee fan. The only NY baseball team.
I also hate boston. Don't know who I hate more but I'm just glad both teams are playing so well. Also I squeeze the twinkies in there some where too.:eek:

Last edited:
RSN "selection"

Well, I guess I'm glad I'm not watching the Mets right now - thanks SNY/Dish!....a lot more productive use of time.

Who or what entity decides what RSN I should be eligible for? I live in central PA, I like the Mets, but I also like baseball.... So, my NY "RSN" now gives me squat--that's it? I'm stuck with nothing? I'd take Philly, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Washington, etc. Plus, on MLB.TV I'd be blacked out from Mets, Yankees, Phillies, and Pirates, and I don't feel I want to financially reward such idiocy. This baseball situation and blackout rules are so archaic and messed up it just makes me want to throw up my hands and forget the whole thing...spend more time on the golf course and watching college ball this summer, and let the game wither until somebody wakes up at mlb!

Who or what entity decides what RSN I should be eligible for? I live in central PA, I like the Mets, but I also like baseball.... So, my NY "RSN" now gives me squat--that's it? I'm stuck with nothing? I'd take Philly, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Washington, etc. Plus, on MLB.TV I'd be blacked out from Mets, Yankees, Phillies, and Pirates, and I don't feel I want to financially reward such idiocy.
Do you subscribe to the multi-sport pack? That might give you access to some of those teams (I woould guess at least Philly and Pittsburgh or maybe Philly and Wash.). If you only keep it during the baseball season, it would be less than mlb.tv. But you might want to check and see exactly which RSN's become open to you with it. For me in Western NY, it added the pirates to what I had (STO and SNY). Now without SNY, I at least have one NL and one AL team.

Do you subscribe to the multi-sport pack? That might give you access to some of those teams (I woould guess at least Philly and Pittsburgh or maybe Philly and Wash.). If you only keep it during the baseball season, it would be less than mlb.tv. But you might want to check and see exactly which RSN's become open to you with it. For me in Western NY, it added the pirates to what I had (STO and SNY). Now without SNY, I at least have one NL and one AL team.

Getting the multi-sport does not give you access to any Pro Baseball games not available without it. The exception being extra innings when it goes past the blackout period. Unless some kind of mistake was made you did not get access to a team's baseball games that you could not have had without the pack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)