So folks....Vista does not SUCK. Mickysoft, Hollywood & DRM

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
An excerpt from a blog at: Vista Does Not Suck | PC Pitstop which had an interesting perspective on DRM.

"So the big question is why is Vista worse than XP? This is not the nature of the technology industry. Each year, things get faster and cheaper. Never do things get worse. The reality is that Vista is an entire rewrite of Windows. Rather than building off of their most successful code base of all time (XP), they scrapped it. It all seems wrong. Like Windows ME, you scrap your bad code, not your best code.
So why? Here is my guess. There are two big differences between Vista and XP. The driver model and the video layer. In both cases, these changes were not made to help us, but to control our access to the content we view. Vista has a "feature" called DRM or Digital Rights Management. I think that once Vista is on a critical mass of PC's, Microsoft will be able to cut deals with Hollywood and other content providers to sell and display their content on our PC's. So every time, we watch a movie on our Vista PC, Microsoft makes a buck instead of Blockbuster.
Of course, we have little to no say in this matter, because Microsoft has essentially forced the PC manufacturer's to put Vista on all new PC's. In order for this plan to work, Vista does not have to be better than XP. It just can't suck. So folks, I am happy to inform you that after close to 18 months of use, Vista does not SUCK."
July 14, 2008 by chengrob in The Pit Blog

The driver layer and video were not re-written just for DRM. They had to do something to improve stability and security, DRM was an additional "benefit" :) Video drivers are one of the most notorious downfalls of both XP and Vista with a majority of driver issues being caused by them.

Hey as others here will concur, I know little to nothing about the inner workings of Windows and I've forgotten most of what I knew about DOS:).

I just thought it was an interesting perspective about the DRM angle (from a Windows blog) and the potential windfall that could come from further eroding "Fair-Use" of the customer (that would be me:)).

Wouldn't surprise me to see MS fees imposed on transferring existing software to upgraded hardware next or do they already do that?:D

"The reality is that Vista is an entire rewrite of Windows."

Simply not true. They abandoned that plan, couldn't pull it off.

Why would anyone pay for that mess? I would rather b*tch and cuss about my FREE linux, than b*tch and cuss about my $200 vista. No thanks. Gates knew what he was doing when he walked away.

torp

Ahhh- HDOS! Heath Disk Operating System. Now that was an OS! Twin overclocked Z80s and that thing flew! ;)

Many folks who have purchased a Vista OS machine are "upgrading":):) to XP.
Really?! I'd like to see the numbers from any box builder that has that as an option. I was leary about getting vista after I saw what it did to laptops it was installed on a year ago but after getting my hp pavilion I have to say that I love it except for the fact that I cant bring up a command prompt.

Vista has a "feature" called DRM or Digital Rights Management. I think that once Vista is on a critical mass of PC's, Microsoft will be able to cut deals with Hollywood and other content providers to sell and display their content on our PC's. So every time, we watch a movie on our Vista PC, Microsoft makes a buck instead of Blockbuster.
This is a dumber statement than just claiming "Vista Sucks!"

It has been repeated ad nauseum that Vista has the plumbing for that. Filling it up is up to the software.
And nobody wants to do it! Even the highest prized HD/BD discs are played using players not using it.
The only example where it was done is the CableCard PC: special BIOS, special drivers, special player.

Diogen.

They need to completely rewrite windows from the ground up, but that will probably never happen.

Yep. I think many years ago a certain company did a study projecting the difficulty in maintaining and revising/upgrading an OS. They projected only a certain number of years/iterations for Windows. IIRC, the last expected version is what we know of as XP. After that time, the internal inconsistencies and errors and bloat would render it so complicated, it would actually be a lesser product than it's predecessor. A new, blank sheet of paper kind of design, with no concern given to backwards compatibility would be required.

That company was Microsoft.

It's moot. A lot of business will be lost by MS as those "5 seconds to Linux/the internet" ASUS motherboards spread around.

It's moot. A lot of business will be lost by MS as those "5 seconds to Linux/the internet" ASUS motherboards spread around.

Amen. Rightly so in my opinion. Truth is MS has shot there self in the foot a million times in the last 20 years. They don't deserve the market share they have now.

torp

Corporate World Requirements

Well, I think that Microsoft is feeling the heat over Vista in the corporate world, and Windows 7 might be moved up quickly to provide the corporate world a better solution.

Windows 2000 - NT was a more stable platform for the corporate world back then that Microsoft had provided.

IMHO I think Windows 7 might be the ticket for them.

Except I hear it uses the same kernal.

I believe Windows cannot be put in ROM. Self modifying code? Just too many "updates?" Anybody know?

I can't say Vista is bad. I just don't know enough to say that. What I can say is that because I am familiar with Xp that Vista is aggravating as hell. I have a friend that has this web based email program she uses for school. I can't nor has anyone else been able to get it to work with Vista. My Xp works fine with it.

Last edited:
waltinvt said:
Vista has a "feature" called DRM or Digital Rights Management. I think that once Vista is on a critical mass of PC's, Microsoft will be able to cut deals with Hollywood and other content providers to sell and display their content on our PC's. So every time, we watch a movie on our Vista PC, Microsoft makes a buck instead of Blockbuster.

This is a dumber statement than just claiming "Vista Sucks!"

It has been repeated ad nauseum that Vista has the plumbing for that. Filling it up is up to the software.
And nobody wants to do it! Even the highest prized HD/BD discs are played using players not using it.
The only example where it was done is the CableCard PC: special BIOS, special drivers, special player.

Diogen.

Although possibly not your intent, your post sure makes it look like the "dumber" statement you're responding to is mine - it's not. As I said in the original post, it was an excerpt from a blog I found interesting and as I said in my follow-up post, I don't know a lot about the inner workings of any operating system

You may be of the opinion that MS is above exploiting it's users when it flashes a DRM compliance carrot at Hollywood and you may be right. Personally I'm skeptical but that's only an opinion. I simply posted it so people could read it and form their own "dumb" opinion.

Some of these so called Skeptics weren't educated enough about Vista in the first place to be real skeptics.
There is nothing wrong with Vista works well for me and my users. Overall its new folks dont like change it's just like when XP came out folks got use to Win 2k and then XP came out with new look better security so forth. Well been more than 6 years or so since they came out with another OS. New look better security so forth same oh thing just like years past.

Most folks are trying to run it on 3-4 year old machines and I recommend folks using the free Vista Tool to test your machine before you load it on your older machine. Like I told folks Vista here to stay Windows 7 using the same kernel and I think it will look similar to Vista just a lite version of it is all with a different name. Which thats just my guess on things that I have read about 7. Just like ME was for 98 and Media Center was for XP..

I know some of the game developers wanted Direct X 10 out sooner so they could work with it more and Microsoft already hinted that Direct X 11 be out sometime next year I think. IE 8 is post to be out end of the year as well. So basically I tell folks if you want Vista just make sure your hardware up to date to work with the OS and any newer software.. But yeah I love it when folks bad mouth some thing when it does not work but they never tell you what they did for it not to work. Or they dont know how it works or they loaded something that was not compatible to begin with... Just my 2 cents.

Keep in mind the majority of computer users DO NOT really understand the inner workings of most of the software they use, including the OS. They just want to do what they do and have it work.

Also keep in mind that the aggregate of these users are the CUSTOMERS that really pay the bills at MS - not the geeks that do happen to know how to change an XP or Vista tire. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)