So how long do you think the Dish/Turner dispute will last?

Well if it is actually 2 weeks off then we are 1-2 days away from going black and I can totally see Dish Telling Turner NO. I cant imagine the contract they are looking at right now with that 24 Billion dollar NBA signing. Dish just got the luck of the draw to be the first provider to have to deal with the increases.

I wonder if any more channels will be free preview if TBS/TNT are removed. Maybe FXX and something else?

(BTW, I know you were speaking about kids ... just wanted to bring this up.)

There are other places to get news, so I can live without CNN for a while (though I would like to get it back - minus Nancy Grace if possible). But TCM is unique - there really aren't any other channels that show movies from the 60s and earlier - AMC used to show old movies, but now it's all newer stuff and series like Walking Dead etc. And the "replacement" Fox Movies is a joke.

I'm patient and will wait for a return of TCM and CNN - and I expect a deal will be done - but if they were permanently lost like some of the sports networks I would definitely leave Dish. As said earlier, why would I pay $100+ for a service that doesn't have the shows and movies I want?

Since I have about 300+ movies recorded on my EHD's with most of the from TCM, it would take a long time for this dispute the go on for me to leave. Plus, I don't think I could ever go to another DVR other than the hopper ever again.

I noticed a few days back on channel 103 that MGM HD is listed as free until 11/19. The Blaze, Nickelodeon, Nick Jr, NickToons, and AlJazeera Network are listed until 11/24.

I don't know if that necessarily means anything.

As long as a channel that is similar that I do not already catch is in the place of a dropped channel with something that we can actually watch, then I guess that we are okay. The channel we miss the most would be Boomerang. We watched HLN and CNN for Forensic Files, but unfortunately, they air the same ones repeatedly. We also liked TCM when a good movie would play; MGM is okay but not all that great. However, they are not worth a substantial increase.

Reactions: ChadT41
We are well past when I thought this dispute would be over. I don't see many who are all that upset over these channel, I'm not though I did watch CNN from time to time. The uproar is going to be TNT and TBS, as I have posted DISH can't lose those for long.
Could it be reversed - it isn't Turner waiting for those channels to be negotiated, but rather DISH wants them all put together in the same contract? They want all the cards on the table at the same time?

I've not missed anything with this, but I sure wouldn't want TNT & TBS to go out.

Hopefully they'll make whatever deal they feel they need to soon. Like you, I've been a bit surprised at how long this has gone on and a bit less surprised that few seem to care. I suspect that if TNT & TBS go dark the screeching will be louder! :)

Sent from my 23-n010 using Tapatalk

Well of course, NBA has lots a fans. Basketball is arguably the second most popular sport in the world, and NBA being its best league. Here in the US it's usually #3, with baseball barely as #2. NFL being of course easily #1.

I know they have fans, I was just kidding because it always seems like they are the one sport struggling with popularity. Here in Iowa the NBA is not very popular and football rules all. NFL and college football are the most popular and then baseball. I wouldn't be surprised if NHL starts to be more popular than the NBA eventually. I know for sure that college basketball is much more popular than the NBA here.

I know they have fans, I was just kidding because it always seems like they are the one sport struggling with popularity. Here in Iowa the NBA is not very popular and football rules all. NFL and college football are the most popular and then baseball. I wouldn't be surprised if NHL starts to be more popular than the NBA eventually. I know for sure that college basketball is much more popular than the NBA here.
While I can see why Iowa wouldn't be a large NBA fan area, not sure why you think NBA is losing fans. Its quite the opposite, back in the 80's NBA was no where near MLB in ratings, now they are about on par. The NBA finals the last few years have beat out the World Series and Stanely Cup Finals in ratings. Now I realize not all of that is the NBA gaining fans, it probably has more to do with the NHL and MLB losing them.

I was also just comparing professional sports, here where I am college football rules... even over NFL since we don't have a team.

While I can see why Iowa wouldn't be a large NBA fan area, not sure why you think NBA is losing fans. Its quite the opposite, back in the 80's NBA was no where near MLB in ratings, now they are about on par. The NBA finals the last few years have beat out the World Series and Stanely Cup Finals in ratings. Now I realize not all of that is the NBA gaining fans, it probably has more to do with the NHL and MLB losing them.

I was also just comparing professional sports, here where I am college football rules... even over NFL since we don't have a team.

I think the NBA Finals having high ratings has a lot to do with not having any competition. The Fall is the most competitive time of year for ratings with all the new series starting on networks, the NFL in it's prime, the World Series going on, the NHL season starts, the NBA season starts and college football is in it's prime.

In the summer it's just baseball, at which point viewers have dropped off already, and then it's the NHL Playoffs. Everyone I know just watches the Finals because we like sports and it's the only thing on at the time.

This may be a little old but it's close enough. It does include college football but i was surprised to see NASCAR right there with the NBA. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10354114/harris-poll-nfl-most-popular-mlb-2nd

Reactions: satgirl51
You would think Turner would be under pressure to have CNN up for the election returns. Not having Dish customers has to be a ratings hit.

I think locals news might be best for tonight's elections. Not to mention anyone of the other news channels and the Internet. I think CNN is just the common name, but by no means will any news be missed. They all report from the AP anywho

I think locals news might be best for tonight's elections. Not to mention anyone of the other news channels and the Internet. I think CNN is just the common name, but by no means will any news be missed. They all report from the AP anywho
I just like CNN's presentation better. Not a fan of Fox News or MSNBC and locals are just ok. If anything I'll probably watch ABC's coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll probably wait till fox 10 @9. Unlike most Fix related media, they are not heavily right winged. But that could just be my area. Also, I'm sure Facebook will keep me informed.

I'll probably wait till fox 10 @9. Unlike most Fix related media, they are not heavily right winged. But that could just be my area. Also, I'm sure Facebook will keep me informed.
[non-partisan]I can give you the results now. The Republicans will likely have 50 or 51 seats by the coming of morning. Runoffs will be required in Louisiana and Georgia... of which the Republicans will likely win as well, assuming they aren't all killed by the Ebola. The House will likely be unchanged. The Dems may lose a Governor seat here or there, as will the Republicans. The polling seems quite certain. There will need to be a big uncertainty for the Dems to win in Arkansas, Alaska, Louisiana, Georgia.[/non-partisan]

[mildly partisan]The only surprise I expect tonight is that this will be the first election I don't particularly follow much in the evening. Too depressing. *sigh*[/mildly partisan]