So how many small dishes are worth installing

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cband55

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2008
I have 6 Small dishes pointing all over and I want to install more, how many are worth installing and say tuning to any channel and you will be entertained at least 10 minutes, I don’t care for ethnic channels just English language.

With Disecq and two dual tuners receivers I can have up to 16 separate dishes, I dont care for movers also.

I have a roof dish garden not a farm.

I don't really understand your question, but if it was me, and I could get 16 dishes to work in my system, I would put up 16 dishes.
If I had 16 dishes

Not all satellites have worth while programming my question is how many satellites are worth putting a dedicated dish pointing to them

Best bet is to spend some time with TheList or other places (Lyngsat) that will show you what channels are available on each Ku satellite, and then decide which ones, in your opinion, are worth pointing a dish at.

I guess the first question I would ask is what are the 6 existing ones pointed at now?

Well I would like to know other dishheads and how many dishes do they have, money is no object to me got rid of a woman and now I have a ton of disposable income.

suggestions:

You could scroll through Linuxman's thread on running a bunch of fixed dishes.
There are 260 posts, so you need to look for which birds he wants, and some pictures toward the end where he accomplished the goal.

A few things to consider are:
- you could run multiple LNBs on single dishes, in -some- cases (maybe not all)
- all LNBs will need to be dual output, so you can feed 'em through multiswitches and run multiple tuners/receivers
- are you going to combine C-band and Ku-band? Fred did. - :eek:
- as for wiring, I think Fred used a variation of the scheme described toward the end of the Switches Simplified FAQ
- the 8x1 diseq switches that work, are only one brand of the three available
- that switching matrix may not be supported by every receiver (needs discussion)
- if you live in a very dry environment like I do, smaller dishes are okay; if you live in the rain, plan for it with bigger dishes! - :eek:
- to determine which birds are necessary, I'd put in a motorized dish and get first hand knowledge (and leave as a backup)

Having too many dishes is like having too many tools, or your wife having too many shoes. Things come and go from bird to bird, having an extra dish or three is a good thing.

The way I have my system currently, I can look at 22 satellites, and that's what I do (22 LNBs on 8 dishes). In fact, I have 23 LNBs up and every now and then do a simple coax switch between two (Echo9 (121) and INT9 (58), both are just for feed hunting).

Of those 23, I'd say at a bare minimum 12 are "must have" for me (due to both programming and feed potential). There is also one satellite that I would like that I can't get due to LOS issues.

So if you can put up ten, go for it!

I have two KU dishes one at 101 W and one at 95 W. I have thought about the PBS but as of now do not see a need. Like others pointed out its a personal choice.

I have 6 Small dishes pointing all over and I want to install more, how many are worth installing and say tuning to any channel and you will be entertained at least 10 minutes, I don’t care for ethnic channels just English language.

With Disecq and two dual tuners receivers I can have up to 16 separate dishes, I dont care for movers also.

I have a roof dish garden not a farm.

Hi, why not setup one of your dishes with a motor for the center of the arc and use it for feed hunting and set the fixed dishes for the satellites you want instant access to. That way there will not be much delay on the motor as it does not have to go so far. I have mine setup from 58 to 105w and I get something like 12 satellites with little delay on this limited travel. Having two receivers hooked up allows me to blind scan on the motor dish while I watch something else on one of the fixed dishes.

Got to run, DC

I have 2 ku dishes looking at 3 satellites and the BUD doing the whole C band arc. As far as how many dishes one can have depends on what you want to do. There is no limit if it works for you. :D

I have a mix of fixed and motorized dishes. One motorized is mainly for scanning. The fixed dishes are for sats that have lots of good programs :)

hey how many fixed dishes do you have My fisrt sat off my list is 101 AMC4 I only scanned religious channels and the portuguese channel on FTA

hey how many fixed dishes do you have My fisrt sat off my list is 101 AMC4 I only scanned religious channels and the portuguese channel on FTA
Look again. ;) Unless you don't like history or biography.

I would second the suggestion of having a motorized dish. You can use that to search out signals. Then when you find something you like you put up a fixed dish for that spot and keep looking. :)

I get history from another Sat and that Biography channel is really bad, I once watched a moment of an ABBA biography and it did not have any ABBA songs! really crap of a channel IMHO

What else does 101 have

Look again. ;) Unless you don't like history or biography.

I use to have one 12' BUD, then I got DTV, then I switched to Dish, then I bought a 36 inch from Sadoun, then a 48 inch, then a 7.5', now I'm looking at a 6' offset for RTV. Uhh I don't think I should answer that one:)

hey how many fixed dishes do you have

everything is in my signature but I have
2 motorized
1 C-Band fixed at 99W
1 KU dish fixed at 105W
1 1.2m dish at 111.1/107.3 for my Shaw Direct subscription
1 C-Band dish that is ghetto moved :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.