This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

So how many watts does Dish hardware use?

I measured my Hopper a while back. About 40 watts including the dish. Without the dish and DPP33 switch the receiver alone is about 20 watts.

I measured my Hopper a while back. About 40 watts including the dish. Without the dish and DPP33 switch the receiver alone is about 20 watts.
Thanks. Would have been nice to get a Joey and Super Joey readings but guess I'll have to take what's provided.

So based on the info provided it looks like DIRECTV is doing a better job on energy efficiency. A HR44(16.4), PI21 for a SWiM3LNB(9.8), two C41 clients (9.8) is 36 watts vs. 40 for just the Hopper.

KAB posted a link to this in message #11 of this thread, maybe you didn't see it. Yeah, I'd go with Direct.

My 211 receivers draw about 19 watts each. (Actually 19 volt-amps. I don't have a true watt-meter.)
My 311 draws 8 watts.
A SW64 switch on my roof draws 25 watts.

I put a digital timer on my two 211s and the SW64 to shut them off between 11 pm and 8 am. Saves about $5/month. But you have to make sure the receivers are powered up during the daily updates. Also, the potential exists for turning your receiver into a doorstop if it's powered down during a software update or other critical procedure. YMMV

Could someone post the energy costs for all the carrier's receivers? Then I can make my choice on which one to get my service from based on who uses the least. Thanks. Damn I hope Comcrap isn't the most efficient.

Reactions: ChadT41 and KAB