So how's the picture quality on the new HD channels????

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JimP

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Wetumpka, AL
I'm looking to make the jump from cable to satellite and would like to find out how good (or bad) the picture quality is given new satellites, decoders, bandwidth allocations, etc.

My concern is that for a pretty good while, DirectTV's HD signal was considered HD Lite and the picture quality wasn't as good as it could be.

As a reference, my cable signal is pretty good and the few HD channels I received are only limited by how they're originated.

I just made the jump last Saturday and the picture quality is outstanding! I have had TWC and just recently Dish, but I must say the HD quality is truly stunning now on Directv. The channel line up is great and the sports coverage is the best anywhere. Make the jump---you will not regret it!

I have a Mitsubishi HD 1000 projector and RCA 50' DLP. I also have a HD DVR with directv. They gave me the HD DVR for 199 and threw in the HD receiver free. HBO, Showtime, CInemax and Starz free for 3 months and 100$ off rebate for the year. I have the plus HD DVR package and I am a returning customer----All this for 64.98 a month for a year!

DO it!

I have a friend who went from Comcast, to Dish Network. Before these new HD channels came on D*, I would have given Dish Network the upper hand on HD PQ.

Now that D* has these new channels and they are coming in at a full blown, (not down rezzed), bandwidth, D* gets the PQ award hands down. I have never seen a better picture than with these new channels!

I switched from Comcast to D* about 6 weeks ago - the HD PQ on Comcast was excellent. I thought D* was lacking on only a couple of channels - Espn was the big one - it didn't seem as good as Comcast. Hopefully when espn and the other channels in the 70s switch over to MPEG4 it will be an improved picture. Otherwise every channel is the same or even better than Comcast - you can't go wrong by switching to D*

I'm looking to make the jump from cable to satellite and would like to find out how good (or bad) the picture quality is given new satellites, decoders, bandwidth allocations, etc.

My concern is that for a pretty good while, DirectTV's HD signal was considered HD Lite and the picture quality wasn't as good as it could be.

As a reference, my cable signal is pretty good and the few HD channels I received are only limited by how they're originated.

Do some research before you make a hasty jump. See if you can get a glimpse of the PQ for yourself. The resolution issue has yet to be determined whether these are in fact 1920x1080i channels. The bitrates of these channels are about 7-8mbps which is compatible to what E* is doing. So do your research before making the jump.

The picture quality is outstanding on the MPEG-4 channels, I've actually been very satisfied with the MPEG-2 quality also, but these new channels are unbelievable.

Do some research before you make a hasty jump. See if you can get a glimpse of the PQ for yourself. The resolution issue has yet to be determined whether these are in fact 1920x1080i channels. The bitrates of these channels are about 7-8mbps which is compatible to what E* is doing. So do your research before making the jump.
And by all means don't listen to E* TROLLS that refuse to listen to what everyone is reporting with their own eyes.

I am a new D customer. I had been with dish for 9 years. I have had HD since its inception (had a 6000 receiver). Since I live in Oregon and have had problems with 129 (even with a 24'dish) I deceided to make the move. The thing that has surprised me the most with D HD is the PQ, it is crisp, clean without artifacts with vivid color. I have a 67 DLP, a 42"Plasma and a 40" LCD.
I could not believe the difference. I also have HDDVD and Blu-ray. Some of the broadcasts look close to HDDVD. Their is now almost no microblocking in dark passages as well. The following are channels that I have noticed major improvements.
1) Starz (Looks like an HDDVD where with dish was washed out)
2) Max
3) Nat GEO
4) History
5) New channels like Smithsonian and Scifi (Atlantis and Flash Gordon are spectacular in HD

All and all I am very please with the change. I would give D an A for PQ while I would give dish a C.

Personally I don't care what the specs are for resolution. My eyeballs tell me that the new mpeg 4 channels are absolutely stunning.

Sorry but I have to ask, what was the purpose of quoting me in your reply? :eek:

well,

By Definition; An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who intentionally posts controversial or contrary messages in an on-line community such as an on-line discussion forum with the intention of baiting users into an argumentative response.

Reading your comment about "yet to be proven" to me suggested a repeat of the previous E* rhetoric that has been posted by E* subs refusing to believe most of what has been represented here. I will not go into every example, but one of which is, "there is no SCIFI HD channel" If that was not your intent I do apologize, it's just how it appeared to me considering all the negativity around here lately.

The OP asked for information. I believe I gave him a fair opinion where things are. I do not know why you would consider that trolling. I think your comment trying to make this thread into something other than the information that the OP asked for would consider trolling or biased.

The new channels are flat out stunning. I have become a snob. If it is not in HD I do not watch. (except for college football)

Personally I don't care what the specs are for resolution. My eyeballs tell me that the new mpeg 4 channels are absolutely stunning.
Some are better than others. And the difference has to be that some transponders have 3 channels and some 4 or 5 as has been shown by the transponder map posted on this site.

Vurbano, maybe you can answer this. what are the difference in bitrates for 1080i vs 720p? I have not verified it but maybe the reason for why some tp's have 4 and some 5 is the mix of 720's and 1080's on that tp.

Last edited:
Some are better than others. And the difference has to be that some transponders have 3 channels and some 4 or 5 as has been shown by the transponder map posted on this site.

The difference also is in the programming. Some programming is a lot better then others.

Just got in from work and was a bit surprised with all the replies.

Thanks for the information. Guess its time to check into getting Direct TV.

Any issues with their DVR????

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts