So, I wrote a letter about locals...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

youngbloodz

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
So currently I still don't have locals in my area (Gulfport-Biloxi, MS)...I have asked both companies DTV and WLOX (one of my local broadcasters) and they both blame it on each other... DTV says its because of some provision thing....and WLOX comes with this response:

Raycom Media has offered a Retransmission Agreement to both DirecTV and Dish Network. The fact is neither company has the satellite capacity to carry all local stations and carry the 100+ HD channels that they promise. As they launch more satellites, they may carry more local stations, but we have no control over which markets they choose to deliver. DirecTV has promised to carry the top 150 markets. We are market number 160. So for the foreseeable future we will continue to have to use a TV antenna to pick up the local stations.

Chief Engineer
WLOX - WLOX-DT
Biloxi, MS

Its really hard to understand...who should I believe?

Unfortunately the fact is that your market is very small and pretty far down on the list. DirecTV just launched a new sat with another on the way next year. So there is hope.

There is no capacity issue; the fact your DMA is way down the list and contractual issues are the most likely causes.

Well really there are only two locals in that market if you don't count Mobile/Pensacola. WLOX-ABC and WXXV-FOX. Most of the cable systems I understand get the New Orleans locals for their subscribers...

If it were me I'd get me a good antenna and get New Orleans AND Biloxi...:D

I'd bet with a CM 4228 and a preamp you can point it toward New Orleans and the Biloxi locals would still come in for ya...:up

... So for the foreseeable future we will continue to have to use a TV antenna to pick up the local stations.
Don't sweat it. If you go OTA digital, you will have a better picture than DirecTV delivers anyway. (At least that is true for Wash DC locals) And no monthly charge.

Are there other provider options in your area? Directv is still lagging way behind others in hd locals.

Are you referring to the broad national coverage of FIOS, or the hundreds of stellar HD-LIL's that Dish offers?

FIOS is a regionalized provider, however there are many other companies modeling themselves after their great success around the nation. All that really matters to a sub of course is what locals and hd locals the various providers are offering in their communities, not what they are doing on a national basis.

My point was that your comment about "Directv is still lagging way behind others in hd locals" is a little misleading. I am sure that many, if not most, of the "terrestrial" providers are providing slightly more HD to their regional customers in the same markets where D* is providing HD-LIL. But to claim that D* is lagging is not a fair argument. When you consider that D* carries the "Big 4" networks - and will add CW etc in the near future - it's hardly a matter of lagging when they carry one less channel than terrestrial providers.

FWIW, my local Comcast franchise doesn't have all of the HD (or all of the SD channels for that matter) that I can get via antenna. All of those differences vary by market.

If it were me I'd get me a good antenna and get New Orleans AND Biloxi...:D

I'd bet with a CM 4228 and a preamp you can point it toward New Orleans and the Biloxi locals would still come in for ya...:up
He should be able to do that with no problems. I live about 65 miles north and east of him, on the mississippi/alabama line and get N.O. on a good day from here. He should be able to pull those in plus mobile/pen.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)