So installer was here AGAIN...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sws1

Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
Had an installer at my house several weeks ago, and after looking around, he told me he wouldn't be able to get all the sats. This despite the fact that I have strong signal on all 3 sats right now. He says, "New dish needs bigger hole to the sky".

I called to have another installer come today. Same guy shows up. I have him hold dish, use meter, everything I could thing of, short of installing the dish itself. He keeps saying, "Won't work. New dish is bigger".

Can someone explain to me how a new dish would block me from seeing the same sats that I can see today? Should I just do this myself?

Had an installer at my house several weeks ago, and after looking around, he told me he wouldn't be able to get all the sats. This despite the fact that I have strong signal on all 3 sats right now.

The new dish needs to be able to see 5 satellites, not 3 - the new MPEG4 content will be coming in on the two new birds. Which satellites can you see today?

If he has the 3 LNB, he should be able to see the 101, 110 & 119! The new MPEG-4 sats are at 99 & 103, so in theory he should be able to pick them up at his location.

Had an installer at my house several weeks ago, and after looking around, he told me he wouldn't be able to get all the sats. This despite the fact that I have strong signal on all 3 sats right now. He says, "New dish needs bigger hole to the sky".

I called to have another installer come today. Same guy shows up. I have him hold dish, use meter, everything I could thing of, short of installing the dish itself. He keeps saying, "Won't work. New dish is bigger".

Can someone explain to me how a new dish would block me from seeing the same sats that I can see today? Should I just do this myself?

The only difference in the size of "the hole" that you need is the 99 sat, which is only slightly east of the 101 sat. If you can see 101-119, then you can most likely see the new sats, too.

I can see 101, 110, and 119, with the old 3-LNB dish. 101 and 119, I get a signal of 100% on receiver satellite meter. 110 is a bit lower, but still almost 90.

He tried to get the signal with just a meter and the satellite arm, and he told me it only went up to 197 (whatever that means). Says he needed at least 204. I then make him put the dish together and try to get a signal by holding the dish up. Again, he said he couldn't get a strong signal.

I can see 101, 110, and 119, with the old 3-LNB dish. 101 and 119, I get a signal of 100% on receiver satellite meter. 110 is a bit lower, but still almost 90.

He tried to get the signal with just a meter and the satellite arm, and he told me it only went up to 197 (whatever that means). Says he needed at least 204. I then make him put the dish together and try to get a signal by holding the dish up. Again, he said he couldn't get a strong signal.
Hand holding a dish he would never get a signal from Ka but you were just getting a BS story. If Directv won't send out a different installer see if they will give you credit for you hiring an installer to do the job.

If the mast is not stable & plumb nothing else will be easy. The dish should be tuned on the mast while loose enough to track but tight enough keep from changing el or az when released.

The 99 & 103 are on either side of the 101 but sometimes trees find a way to get in there.

Joe

The new dish needs to be able to see 5 satellites, not 3 - the new MPEG4 content will be coming in on the two new birds. Which satellites can you see today?

If he has a triple sat then the slimline should work cause he can get the 110 and 119 sooo he just got a lazy installer who thinks the job will be hard so he is taking the ez way out I hate that cause I usually get those jobs and I do them!! My philosophy is that if I rol on the job I am gonna give 110 percent to get it in for the customer!!!!

If he has a triple sat then the slimline should work cause he can get the 110 and 119 sooo he just got a lazy installer who thinks the job will be hard so he is taking the ez way out I hate that cause I usually get those jobs and I do them!! My philosophy is that if I rol on the job I am gonna give 110 percent to get it in for the customer!!!!

Are you in NJ? Want to come help me install the dish I just bought for myself?

I have one of those new 5 LMB dishes and i did a test and all say ok but the 103. is that normal til the HD satelite is launched?

I have one of those new 5 LMB dishes and i did a test and all say ok but the 103. is that normal til the HD satelite is launched?

Yes. You are likely in an area that receives no signal from Spaceway 1, the other sat at 103.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts