So is the HR-20 worth getting?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
When I first tried to use the interface I hated it, but now it's growing on me. I'm using 2 HR10s and 2 HR20s and the Tivo interface now seems kind of clunky to me. Still love the Tivos but there are a lot of cool things about the HR20.

I agree. I have 2 HR10's, 1 HR20 and 1 Vista Media Center and I like the Tivo interface the least. The good news is that its wife approved and she loves it and stays on her own DVR. Its such a dependable DVR that it will be in the family for a long time. Now that the HR20 is more stable, its really a great edition and I cant wait till the end of the year with all that new HD.

Yes,
The "R" designates Recorder.
You must have the H20's comes in -100 and -600 varieties
The HR-20 is only a -700, -700 designates : made by Pace

Jimbo

Do not forget the upcoming HR20-100 by Thompson, I saw one at CES.

(no release date for the HR20-100 has been set at this time)

Oh, for my 2 cents, the HR20 is worth getting. I'm just waiting until I'm eligible for a discounted receiver again before I order one.

I was a D* customer for almost a decade. For the last 2 years, I enjoyed my HD Tivo. But I realized that I would need to upgrade to the new HR20-700 to get my locals in HD and all the new HD channels D* is promising. Since I had satisfied my commitment to D*, I decided that I would check out E*'s Vip-622 HD DVR as I was checking out D*'s HR20-700. After extensive research and hand's-on play with each (luckily I have friends who have both), it was an easy choice. I went with the Vip-622 and made the switch to DISH three weeks ago.

The decision wasn't even close. The Vip-622 has some features that absolutely blow the D* HD DVR out of the water. My favorites are:
  • Only one coax required - that's right...DISH can deliver content to both the HD tuners and the OTA tuner via a single coax cable. With D*, I could combine the OTA signal on one coax from the sat., but a second coax from the sat was required for the 2nd HD tuner...a pain and an extra expense!
  • Separate TV Output - the Vip-622 has an output for a 2nd TV, allowing you complete and independent control over what you watch on that TV. Comes with a 2nd remote and you can have all DVR features on that TV. I previously had my kitchen TV slaved off my D* HD Tivo, but was forced to watch whatever was being watched on the main TV in my family room. This is a huge plus!
  • 30 Second Skip - perfect for quickly skipping thru commercials. D* doesn't have this.
  • One click Guide Access - having to click twice to get to the guide you want on the D* HD DVR was annoying!
  • Full Feature Remote - The remote on the Vip-622 was designed very well, well though-out and feature rich. The D* HD DVR remote looks and feels like a brick. I have a Harmony remote which I have used for years, but I like the Vip-622's remote so much, I primarily use it instead now.
  • Best of all, it was free - I took advantage of the new promotion to get the Vip-622 for free, plus $200 rebate. With a better HD line-up and a superior HD DVR, it was a no-brainer.

I was a D* customer for almost a decade. For the last 2 years, I enjoyed my HD Tivo. But I realized that I would need to upgrade to the new HR20-700 to get my locals in HD and all the new HD channels D* is promising. Since I had satisfied my commitment to D*, I decided that I would check out E*'s Vip-622 HD DVR as I was checking out D*'s HR20-700. After extensive research and hand's-on play with each (luckily I have friends who have both), it was an easy choice. I went with the Vip-622 and made the switch to DISH three weeks ago.

The decision wasn't even close. The Vip-622 has some features that absolutely blow the D* HD DVR out of the water. My favorites are:
  • Only one coax required - that's right...DISH can deliver content to both the HD tuners and the OTA tuner via a single coax cable. With D*, I could combine the OTA signal on one coax from the sat., but a second coax from the sat was required for the 2nd HD tuner...a pain and an extra expense!
  • Separate TV Output - the Vip-622 has an output for a 2nd TV, allowing you complete and independent control over what you watch on that TV. Comes with a 2nd remote and you can have all DVR features on that TV. I previously had my kitchen TV slaved off my D* HD Tivo, but was forced to watch whatever was being watched on the main TV in my family room. This is a huge plus!
  • 30 Second Skip - perfect for quickly skipping thru commercials. D* doesn't have this.
  • One click Guide Access - having to click twice to get to the guide you want on the D* HD DVR was annoying!
  • Full Feature Remote - The remote on the Vip-622 was designed very well, well though-out and feature rich. The D* HD DVR remote looks and feels like a brick. I have a Harmony remote which I have used for years, but I like the Vip-622's remote so much, I primarily use it instead now.
  • Best of all, it was free - I took advantage of the new promotion to get the Vip-622 for free, plus $200 rebate. With a better HD line-up and a superior HD DVR, it was a no-brainer.

Yes but the VIP-622 can not network the HR20 can. This is a very big plus over the VIP-622 when you have a home network and lots of music on our computer.

Do not forget the upcoming HR20-100 by Thompson, I saw one at CES.

(no release date for the HR20-100 has been set at this time)

Oh, for my 2 cents, the HR20 is worth getting. I'm just waiting until I'm eligible for a discounted receiver again before I order one.

I had not heard about the Thompson unit, but it would not suprise me.

Jimbo

Hope you enjoy it this summer when D* blows right by E in the HD catagory.

Jimbo

I thought about Dish, but they dont carry Setanta Sports, and that is what I watch. I'm a direct user from day 30 and I'll will get the hr20 soon

[*]Only one coax required - that's right...DISH can deliver content to both the HD tuners and the OTA tuner via a single coax cable. With D*, I could combine the OTA signal on one coax from the sat., but a second coax from the sat was required for the 2nd HD tuner...a pain and an extra expense!r.[/LIST]

Only if a DP44 switch was used. A DP44 switch is not standard on all Dish install unless you need it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts