So, my sister-in-law was heading back to Missouri...........

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

phlatwound

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 25, 2007
Goosapeak Junction
.....and, last week while passing through the Covington, VA area saw this place and snapped a picture.

Said it reminded her of my place for some reason? :confused: :D

Kinda hard to see but it looks like 7 or more BUDs in their yard, obviously a great American of some sort.

Anybody seen this place, or want to introduce themselves as the operator of this farm, here on the forum? ;)

Maybe a cable co. but she said it just looked like someone's yard.

Attachments

• Sat Dishes near Covington VA.jpg
    Sat Dishes near Covington VA.jpg
    856 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
Well, there's a building with a window on it right next to the dishes. There's part of a bed frame leaning up against a tree with a broom and a house with curtains in it very near so it's extremely likely that this is someone's private collection and not commercial property. Also, I can see a dish mounted on a regular pole. Wouldn't a commercial installation be mounted on a much more substantial base?

Covington is a pretty small place. It won't take too long on google maps to spot these dishes. Just scout the roads going "through town" so to speak.
The phone that took the photo didn't add GPS data to the EXIF unfortunately. But no big deal for such a small town..

Last edited:
Found it,looks like a cable co.Apparently I have too much time on my hands : )
Google Earth,look for the blue roof. 37°46'30.15" N 79°56'31.05" W

Who's got the hack saw? Who's got the pick up truck? I'll throw in $10 on gas. :cool:

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!

That's it, nice detective work guys!

Although, I really liked my version better, and thinking there was another anonymous super SatGuy out there in old Virginny. :( :D

I used the Map program on an iPhone to take a look.
Found the blue roof (thanks for that)
And then I was briefly able to switch to a street view.
Very interesting.
But as I tried to navigate around, my lack of skill betrayed me.

Anyway, one thing I did find out . . .
This is the city dump: - :up
Transfer Station

Alleghany County opened the transfer station in July of 1996 and it is located on Valley Ridge Road. The transfer station is open to County residents only (including the Town of Iron Gate), Monday thru Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and on Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to noon. Only acceptable waste as allowed under Virginia Regulations VA672-20-10, Section 5.1.C.16 shall be deposited at the transfer station. For questions concerning acceptable waste, fees, holiday hours, etc., contact the Transfer Station Superintendent at (540) 965-1626.

Last edited:
I looked it up on my iPhone Map program.
Learned three things:
1. little blue roofs aren't that rare
2. that building is not full height; it's a converted garage or work shed
3. we are adjacent to the City Dump! - :up

[h=3]Transfer Station[/h]
Alleghany County opened the transfer station in July of 1996 and it is located on Valley Ridge Road. The transfer station is open to County residents only (including the Town of Iron Gate), Monday thru Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and on Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to noon. Only acceptable waste as allowed under Virginia Regulations VA672-20-10, Section 5.1.C.16 shall be deposited at the transfer station. For questions concerning acceptable waste, fees, holiday hours, etc., contact the Transfer Station Superintendent at (540) 965-1626.

[http://www.co.alleghany.va.us/treasurer_page.htm]

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)