So what happens when the Deathstar takes over Time Warner?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If Donald even mentioned it he would be making just another big mistake.....Presidents may have opinions, they cannot tell officials how to vote!

And it still comes down to the cockamamie Capitalism mantra!....Funny same people that like one big deal dont like another?

These corporations are killing us, Congress dont care....Just give them there money for the next election!Thats all that matters......Comcast did it, now AT&T will...
You are silly..President appoints people who agree with him

Sent from my SM-G920V using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: navychop
In 2005 SBC Communications bought ATT. They owned Southwestern Bell. one of the baby Bells split off of the original ATT in 1983. So the current ATT is a totally differently managed company than before 2005. It is headquartered in Dallas, TX It has 277K employees who gave it a rating of one of the best companies to work for. It was ranked as the 7th best company for employee diversity. I believe the 25k Time Warner,Inc employees will find a much better employment environment.
Only if they are Union...

Sent from my SM-G920V using the SatelliteGuys app!

What if Dish was going to buy them?
Depends on the plans. The issue I have with ATT purchasing them is the same I would have with viacom, Disney, or any other large company that already has a stronghold on channels in the country. Dish has none, which would get them in the same battleground as their competition. If they had plans similar to that of Blockbuster, I would object to that deal as well.

One analyst said this deal is bad for Dish Network stock. AT&T will be highly leveraged after this deal and won't be bidding up the price of Dish wireless spectrum. I personally would short AT&T stock if it goes up from here.

Keep in mind, I am against the deal, but what negatives have come out of the Comcast/NBCU deal? Comcast is forced to play nicely as a condition of them making a lot more money.

Ask anyone in the Boston area who watches NBC over the air! And if you don't know what I'm talking about you can get plenty of information if you Google "NBC Boston".

Having bad customer service would happen whether they owned them or not. Even an O&O station. Ultimately, there are still many alternatives. When it comes to those alternatives having to bid for the same thing, that is where the issue lies.

Ask anyone in the Boston area who watches NBC over the air! And if you don't know what I'm talking about you can get plenty of information if you Google "NBC Boston".

I'm in the Boston DMA. I disagree with what you are implying. NBC and Sunbeam have had issues going back to when WSVN was an NBC affiliate, and they wanted their own O&O in Miami. Comcast owning NBC is a Red Herrin.

It makes sense that NBC would want an O&O in one of the few top 10 markets that they don't already. They openly stated that they prefer to buy WHDH, but Sunbeam won't sell. Therefore, all they can do is move it one of their owned properties. Hence their only option is the poor signaled Channel 60.

This thread started about AT&T merging with Time Warner, which would make them owners of HBO, possibly jacking up the price for non-AT&T cable/sattelite customers. Your point of NBC Boston isn't even in the same ballpark. NBC Boston is affecting signal coverage, because there are crap options for a better signal, not because Comcast is trying to get OTA customers to buy Comcast cable. When they first thought of putting NBC on NECN, that made sense. But, putting it on WNEU doesn't, as they are not trying to jack up the price for Dish, Verizon, and all the other non-Comcast providers.

Goodness. What a lot of conspiracy theorists.

First, this deal is pretty much a mirror of the Comcast - NBCU deal. A content deliverer buying a content maker.

As with that deal, the government will make sure that other content deliverers get access to the content. As does basic economics anyway.

You do notice DirecTV's ROOT sports channels on DISH and cable, right? And Comcast's MSNBC, Golf Ch, and CNBC on DirecTV and DISH, right?

As to the whole political thread, pass. As to the idea that the big evil AT&T is going to quiet its HBO or CNN's leftist ranters, you might want to spend a few minutes at any of 100 political donation websites and find out just how conservative AT&T's upper management is. Which is not very.

They openly stated that they prefer to buy WHDH, but Sunbeam won't sell. Therefore, all they can do is move it one of their owned properties. Hence their only option is the poor signaled Channel 60.

They have (or had) two more options for a full power stations serving Boston (and not Manchester, NH) that they could attempt to buy, WWDP from EVine Inc or WYDN from Daystar, IF they REALLY care about serving the market. Sounds like they are just trying to line their pockets even more and screw OTA viewers in the process. I look for their experiment to become another WWJ-62 Detroit. At least WWJ was a full power station serving Detroit.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: pattykay
As with that deal, the government will make sure that other content deliverers get access to the content. As does basic economics anyway.
You mean how Dish and DTV have access to Comcast Sportsnet Philly?

Reactions: osu1991
I see that the great Satan aka The DeathStar is buying Time Warner which will give them things like HBO and a whole slough of other channels, channels that are of course carried on Dish, now.
What does DISNEY have to do with AT&T buying Time Warner?

Deathstar = Star Wars = Disney

You sound a bit conspiracy theorist. When it comes to HBO, they are going to want to make profit. Pricing out fans who don't sub to Directv is stupid, and they know that. Also, regardless of anyone's political agenda, including Bill Maher, AT&T aren't known as the great conservatives that you imply them to be. I'll leave the rest of this statement for The Pit.

What could happen is the base price of HBO seems to be anywhere from $15(Now) -$19(DISH) DirecTV subs could get a $5 discount vs. other subs when adding HBO (owned by AT&T at this point) onto their DirecTV bill.(owned by AT&T) Of course this is such a moot point since right now I get HBO for $7.50 through DISH.

Of course this is such a moot point since right now I get HBO for $7.50 through DISH.
For now, My last $7.50 HBO offer didn't show up, Only the $10 option for 12 months was available.
And as a test I went to remove it, and no $7.50 was offered.
But $10 is still a decent price.
Better than $15.

For now, My last $7.50 HBO offer didn't show up, Only the $10 option for 12 months was available.
And as a test I went to remove it, and no $7.50 was offered.
But $10 is still a decent price.
Better than $15.

Weird, just after I posted I went back to mydish account because I remembered my HBO promo ran out on 10/11 and I cancelled it and was offered HBO for $7.50 for six more months. Maybe DISH has limits on how many times you can "game" the system. This will be my second time taking the offer of $7.50 for six months.

The Comcast deal wasn't that bad, as we found out with the latest NBCU renewal. Forced arbitration. Worked out for all.
Any time there is consolidation in an industry, the result is less competition and of course higher prices and less consumer choice.
As far this deal having a clear path due to any precedent set by Comcast/NBCU?....The FCC and Congress are not at all pleased with the resulting fallout per that deal
I read in one article where Congress is loathe to any further consolidation in media.
I look for this proposal to get a very thorough examination. In fact it may take years.
Remember, the FCC is under no obligation to even make a decision. The filing period for those in support and objection is at the sole discretion of the FCC.
It is my hope this deal never gets done. It is anti consumer and it places far too much control over not only distribution but content as well in the hands of too few companies.
BTW, this proposal looks to me as though it may be a preemptive strike against any a la carte related action And it also appears to be a defense vs cord cutting

Yes, I believe that the President can recommend a head for the FCC with the approval of the Senate. I am not sure when the terms come up for renewal, I.E. if they are concurrent with Presidential terms.
I hope that the FCC and DOJ quash it, but I doubt it.
As far as AT&T yanking anything from Dish, Charter, Comcast, etc... and the Time Warner cable content being "AT&T exclusive," that will not happen, they will have to likely abide by the same or even more strict rules to allow competitors to have fair access to the content. Now, they'll probably make any data caps exempt on HBOGo, etc.. on their wireless network.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!
The FCC Chair and the members of the commission serve at the pleasure of the President. Meaning, as with any other POTUS appointee, the Chair ZCommission members as well) can be removed at any time at the sole discretion of the POTUS

1. Viceland is not apart of the HBO family. Vice is a show on HBO, but that's it.

2. If they cancel Bill Mayer, LWT, and Jon Stewart they will lost all of their subs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
All of their subs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts